Thread: can you help

John(Zappa)

Default can you help

i am looking for a very very old street, which, i am told, still exists today the original name was "elbow lane" i think it is situated around the dale street/castle street area rather like sweeting street in layout
    thanks

Quote Originally Posted by John(Zappa) View Post
    i am looking for a very very old street, which, i am told, still exists today the original name was "elbow lane" i think it is situated around the dale street/castle street area rather like sweeting street in layout
    thanks
    Sweeting Street is the one, the name changed sometime around the mid 18th century.

John(Zappa)

i first thought this but i was led to believe it was just like sweeting street making me think its location was elsewhere thanks ste

John(Zappa)

just found out on the web your correct ste sweeting street was originally elbow lane cheers

no probs mate

John(Zappa)

Exley street.My mother lived there but I have little info on it.
    She used to own her own cake shop near by.
    Any info/memories greatly appreciated.

PhilipG

Elbow Lane must have been renamed because there was more than one.
    I know I've seen it on an old map, but I can't remember what map, or what year, and it wasn't the one that became Sweeting Street.

scouserdave

Here's a pic of Sweeting Street, formerly Elbow Lane from my website. Courtesy of the late Brian Saville. The street was renamed to Sweeting Street after Alderman Sweeting.
    BTW, I see a Thom Shannon has been using some of Brian Saville's shots on Flickr without permission

John(Zappa)

thanks for the pic i had a feeling it was sweeting street, not many streets that shape in liverpool

PhilipG

Sweeting Street was named that from the beginning, as it first appears on a map of 1765 with that name.
    On some later maps, the name Elbow Lane also appears.

Dave, Thom Shannon introduces his set of "Now and Then" pictures by saying he's had permission from Brian Saville's widow.

scouserdave

Quote Originally Posted by PhilipG View Post
    Sweeting Street was named that from the beginning, as it first appears on a map of 1765 with that name.
    On some later maps, the name Elbow Lane also appears.

Dave, Thom Shannon introduces his set of "Now and Then" pictures by saying he's had permission from Brian Saville's widow.
    There are maps in the Athenaeum library predating 1765 that show it was called Elbow Lane before being renamed Sweeting Street. If you get the opportunity to visit the library, I recommend it.

Jean, Brian's widow is unaware of his images being shown on that Flickr website.

TonyS

This is a copy of Perry's 1769 map.

Default Brian Savilles photos

Quote Originally Posted by scouserdave View Post
    Jean, Brian's widow is unaware of his images being shown on that Flickr website.
    I received an email from Jean when I tried to contact Brian, saying he had passed away, she also said "I know he would not mind you using the pic's on your site. He got a lot of pleasure in corresponding with other scousers about photo's of Liverpool." This was on the 9th of August.

If you're in contact with her and she wants me to stop using the pictures, ask her to get in touch and I'll gladly take them down.

Thanks
    Thom

Default brian saville pics

I was one of the scousers who corresponded with Brian about liverpool photos, sending him up to date scenes in Liverpool before, he passed away.
    I sent my first email to him with my pic of st georges place at night in the 1960`s after seeing his pic on the liverpool pictorial site, saying we must have stood on the same spot for our pics. He told me he was staying in his
    aunties pub on lime st and watched lewis`s burning during the war.
    gregs dad