Thread: St Judes - Hardwick Street

Default St Judes - Hardwick Street

This fine church was lost for the construction of the Royal Liverpool teaching hospital in the mid 1960s. It congregation was once supplied by the myriad of residential streets on both sides of Prescot Street when it was a built up area. These included those in its immediate surroundings such as Iden Street, Jubille Street, Hardwick Square, Cecil Street, Montague Street, Hardwick Street, Hyde Street, Stand Street, West Street and Fortescue Street. Just across the main Prescot Street were Childwall Street, Prospect Street, Shepherd Street, Moira Street, Croft Street, Epworth Street, Codrington Street, Harper Street, Ashley Street, Wrigley Street, Manfred Street, Belgrave Street and Chapel Place.

The other local church serving this area, Sacred Heart, still survives alongside the hospital. Some of the streets mentioned above, I have already posted pictures of elsewhere on here.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

The location for bearings purposes.

This was the former St Judes school, attached to the church but dis-attached physically as it over the other side of Daulby Street on Oakes Street. The building was/is recently used as a gymnasium.

www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Blog Entries

Great photos and info Ged. Thanks.

St Judes was designed by Thomas Rickman, who had, in partnership with John Cragg, also designed the Liverpool cast-iron churches of: St George's, Everton; St Michael-in-the-Hamlet, Aigburth and St Philip's (now demolished) in Hardman Street. St Judes was consecrated on 20 Oct, 1831. John Cragg, reportedly, only built three cast-iron churches in Liverpool, so we must assume that St Judes must have been a masonry structure, unless we can prove otherwise? It did however follow the Gothic revival style which Thomas Rickman was a well known exponent of.

Image of St Judes, and consecration date from [source] philipgmayer [flickr, link below].
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/44435674@N00/2404129838/

Here's the 1848 OS map [courtesy of the LRO/pgm] showing St Judes on the middle/ right of the map. Ged, is that St Judes school also shown on the map? You may need to scroll right, using the blue bar below?

"I have never let my schooling interfere with my education."... ... ... Mark Twain.

Thanks dazza, I think the end of Oakes street where the school was is just missing off that map. It's right by the Lidl car park at the top end of London road.

Blog Entries

Ged, St Judes school; the building in the photo shows six windows; the map shows five, for the original school. Interesting, as the building's gable, in the photo, was not part of the original school (1848), as the map records it as a separate building, with a separate doorway and raised steps, which can be seen on both the map and photo. The Google Earth view further confirms this.

1848 OS map (continuing from the map above) courtesy of LRO.

"I have never let my schooling interfere with my education."... ... ... Mark Twain.

Keeping It Real !!!!!!!!! ItsaZappathing's Avatar

Here's a pic I found of St Judes church.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	St Judes Church. Low Hill 1831.jpg 
Views:	1265 
Size:	166.4 KB 
ID:	24050

Blog Entries

Nice illustration zap, thanks - I think the view is looking North East. Interesting, there's a little chapel shown just to the right of St Judes - I wonder what that is?

Hi Ged. Ta. for the pic of St Judes in Hardwick Street, my old street, and my mam & dad were married in St Judes....thanks also to Dazza and Zaps for the additional info , I already had the Maps & illustrated image but thanks very much lads for posting them.

The issue in regards to St Judes School building in Oakes Street is interesting as it appears that at one stage there was a St Judes school close by The Coach & Horses pub on Low Hill with the infants being in Hardwick Street itself .....see below.

.National School . St Jude's Low Hill 1850 Listed in Slater's Directory in 1859, with infants in Hardwick Street.

collegepudding

Blog Entries

According to James Stonehouse in 'Recollections of Old Liverpool' the stone that went into St Jude's church was procured from Joseph Williamson - perhaps from his tunnels?

I'm told that the above is perhaps the only photograph in existance of St Judes?

I havent seen another full shot Ged. In the family there is a wedding group Shot outside the main door though .

collegepudding

In case you'd missed these I put up a while back CP.

Hardwick st in 1965 during the demolition. In fact, taken on 20th December that year, their anniversary is tomorrow.

Another interesting thing about that shot is that it appears to have been taken from the top of Boundary Street at its junction with Pembroke Place on the spot which used to be a Hebrew Cemetery,which stretched across to Oakes St. That triangular plot on Dazza's 1st map appears to be the site. It was closed and removed to the Hebrew Cemetery which is currently being restored in Deane Rd off Kensington

see here, http://www.deaneroadcemetery.com/history/

collegepudding.

---------- Post added at 10:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:36 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Ged View Post
    In case you'd missed these I put up a while back CP.

Hardwick st in 1965 during the demolition. In fact, taken on 20th December that year, their anniversary is tomorrow.

Ta Ged: PDT11

Anniversary of demolition tomorrow eh ! thanks for that info ,i didnt realise that

I saved them last time we discussed Hardwick Street.

The 2nd Shot was snapped standing on the site of our old house....its on my laptop as the Screensaver
    That one plus the St Judes one are now amongst my most prized photos and i have you to thank for it mate .

collegepudding

No probs CP and you are spot on, the description on the back of the church photo states it was taken from Boundary Place. At the end of that street of course was the Majestic Cinema.

Quote Originally Posted by Ged View Post
    No probs CP and you are spot on, the description on the back of the church photo states it was taken from Boundary Place. At the end of that street of course was the Majestic Cinema.
    ..And me Mam worked there before she was married, ...... Believe me Ged, my very sole belongs to that area.!

collegepudding