Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Fontenoy / Hodson St station

Living the Dream... Scouseinmanc's Avatar

Default Fontenoy / Hodson St station

Can I just clear up the fact that there have NEVER been stations at either Fontenoy or Hodson streets.

I have checked every source I can think of & there is no evidence to show that these stations ever existed.

Prior to redevelopment of this area, there may indeed have been cuttings (& at one time possibly even the intention of opening up this/these station/s, which never came to fruition), exposed in both of these streets. However, the only historic station of a similar nature is James St, which is on a completely different line altogether.

The only stations ever opened & connected by this tunnel were Liverpool Riverside & Edge Hill.
    Last edited by Scouseinmanc; 10-03-2007 at 09:07 AM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Scouseinmanc View Post
    Can I just clear up the fact that there have NEVER been stations at either Fontenoy or Hodson streets.

I have checked every source I can think of & there is no evidence to show that these stations ever existed.

Prior to redevelopment of this area, there may indeed have been cuttings (& at one time possibly even the intention of opening up this/these station/s, which never came to fruition), exposed in both of these streets. However, the only historic station of a similar nature is James St, which is on a completely different line altogether.

The only stations ever opened & connected by this tunnel were Liverpool Riverside & Edge Hill.
    It could be argued with justification, that Gt Howard St station, which was above the end of the tunnel, was served by the tunnel too. There was stairs down from the Gt Howard St station, which was in the open air at a higher level than the tunnel below, down to the Waterloo Goods depot which was at the end of the tunnel. So, the Waterloo Goods terminal was passenger and goods at one time - the way I understand it.

When the Waterloo Goods Station was de-commissioned, the line was extended to the new Riverside station at the Pier Head, and the link to Gt Howard St station no more.

It was mentioned that Hodson Street was a stop for workers. If so, then steps must have been there.

St James' Station at Parliament St is similar to Hodson St as it is a cutting - semi underground station, which has conceptual plans for re-opening.
    The new Amsterdam at Liverpool?
    Save Liverpool Docks and Waterways - Click

Deprived of its unique dockland waters Liverpool
    becomes a Venice without canals, just another city, no
    longer of special interest to anyone, least of all the
    tourist. Would we visit a modernised Venice of filled in
    canals to view its modern museum describing
    how it once was?

Giving Liverpool a full Metro - CLICK
    Rapid-transit rail: Everton, Liverpool & Arena - CLICK

Save Royal Iris - Sign Petition

As I mentioned earlier, me and a few mates walked through this tunnel and though strewn with debris, prams, mattresses etc, the walls looked sheer to us and we could see the landings of Fonney Oy up above but no way out. I believe Gt Howard street station was used prior to the building of Exchange Station which was originally called Tithebarn Street Station for a few years until its name change.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ged View Post
    As I mentioned earlier, me and a few mates walked through this tunnel and though strewn with debris, prams, mattresses etc, the walls looked sheer to us and we could see the landings of Fonney Oy up above but no way out. I believe Gt Howard street station was used prior to the building of Exchange Station which was originally called Tithebarn Street Station for a few years until its name change.
    Did Gt Howard St station continue operating after Exchange Station opened up in the centre? As I understand it Waterloo Goods depot had a passenger link. Was this so? If so, the depot was goods and passengers. When did the passenger link at the end of the tunnel stop? When the goods depot was demolished in the 1800s?

how it once was?

I don't know if Gt Howard street station was a passenger railway as well as goods but I don't think it was stopped being used as a goods yard after the opening of Exchange as i'm sure i've seen it in books still operating after Exchange opened, though I would expect that if Gt Howard street did take passengers then this service would have been transfered to Exchange once opened. I met a couple of lads at last years model railway exhibition who had a cracking model of the Crown st sidings, complete with Myrtle Gardens above and who are working on a large scale model of Lime st including the Bullring and the Great North Western Hotel for next years exhibition, they will probably know so i'll email them. One of the lads, Mike Delamar was on here a while back.

Blog Entries

I don't know if Gt Howard street station was a passenger railway as well as goods but I don't think it was stopped being used as a goods yard after the opening of Exchange as i'm sure i've seen it in books still operating after Exchange opened, though I would expect that if Gt Howard street did take passengers then this service would have been transfered to Exchange once opened. I met a couple of lads at last years model railway exhibition who had a cracking model of the Crown st sidings, complete with Myrtle Gardens above and who are working on a large scale model of Lime st including the Bullring and the Great North Western Hotel for next years exhibition, they will probably know so i'll email them. One of the lads, Mike Delamar was on here a while back.
    Thanks Ged. All that is a haze as the Waterloo Goods depot was demolished in the 1800s I was under the impression Gt Howard St was above on the viaduct and was passenger only with steps access to the Waterloo Good Depot below, which meant that the Goods depot was goods and passenger at one time.

I have seen no artists impressions, or photos of the Waterloo Goods Depot, which was historical in itself. I was under the impression it was all under a roof.

I recall its sister at Park Lane, at the end of the Wapping Tunnel, which was in operation until around 1971/72.

The most impressive rail Goods Depot was the Cheshire Lines goods Terminal at Sefton St at Brunswick Dock. A very large, well made, good looking building, that was demolished around 1976.

Out of these goods depots, at the front, MDHB trains would cross the Dock Rd and run under the Overhead railway taking cargos to and from the various docks. Small three wheel unit Scamell articulator trucks would be buzzing around everywhere in and out of the docks and goods yards.
    Last edited by Waterways; 10-03-2007 at 03:12 PM.

how it once was?

www.oldliverpoolrailways. oritelad's Avatar

its good to see more discussions about this lost waterloo tunnel station my site www.oldliverpoolrailways.tk has a page on it please feel free to look its still under construction i still have loads to add to each page but hodson station did exsist iam 100% certain it was very hidden as the area as we know it today is very open but before the area was redevloped that cutting was quite hidden when fontenoy garderns are around the station was accsesed by stairs they started where the electricity orange brick hut is now and down onto the platforms where a woodern station hut was also of course this station was mostly used by workers and trains did not stop here much and it didnt last long as a station but lets not forget it as it was a station and will soon be again thanks to merseyrail as for the other stations on the waterloo tunnel line it had hodson station, edge hill, riverside, waterloo goods and great howard street as great howard street station as used as a goods yard after exchange station opened i have photos somewhere traces of great howard street station, waterloo goods station, hodson station and riverside station are still there today

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by oritelad View Post
    its good to see more discussions about this lost waterloo tunnel station my site www.oldliverpoolrailways.tk has a page on it please feel free to look its still under construction i still have loads to add to each page but hodson station did exsist iam 100% certain it was very hidden as the area as we know it today is very open but before the area was redevloped that cutting was quite hidden when fontenoy garderns are around the station was accsesed by stairs they started where the electricity orange brick hut is now and down onto the platforms where a woodern station hut was
    Wooden platforms? No trace of platforms in that tunnel.

also of course this station was mostly used by workers and trains did not stop here much and it didnt last long as a station but lets not forget it as it was a station and will soon be again thanks to merseyrail
    I don't think it is earmarked to be re-commissioned. Maybe on a wish list that is about all. The population around there is just not heavy enough to support a station.

as for the other stations on the waterloo tunnel line it had hodson station, edge hill, riverside, waterloo goods and great howard street. As great howard street station as used as a goods yard after exchange station opened i have photos somewhere traces of great howard street station, waterloo goods station, hodson station and riverside station are still there today
    So Gt Howard St was passenger, then a goods yard supplementing the Waterloo Goods Depot adjacent?
    Last edited by Waterways; 10-03-2007 at 03:54 PM.

how it once was?

I maintain I did not see any access from that Byrom st cutting to ground level but I may be wrong, there was a lot of bushes growing out of the wall etc. Also I have pictures of that cutting during the building and demolition of Fontenoy Gardens and there's no trace of any access to below shown but if it was a station i'd guess that it may have been defunct by the mid 30s anyway?

PhilipG

The following is by Naomi Evetts from the Alan Godfrey reprint of the 1906 OS map.

"In 1848 the Lancs & Yorks Railway opened the line between Liverpool and Wigan, Bolton, Bury & Rochdale. There was a temporary passenger terminus at Great Howard Street but the line was extended and the Tithebarn Street Station opened in 1850. This was re-built and re-opened as Exchange Station in 1888."

Great Howard Street station was built on the site of a Gaol, and became a goods station.

GHS and Exchange are the only stations on the 1906 map, which covers north Liverpool from London Road, and includes Everton, Scotland Road and Vauxhall Road.

Riverside Station (not on this map) opened in 1895.
    Last edited by PhilipG; 10-03-2007 at 04:21 PM.

Thanks Philip for clarification. Now we need to establish if the legendary or perhaps mythical Hodson street station ever existed.

PhilipG

The Waterloo Tunnel is the only railway anywhere near Hodson Street, and, as it passes under Hodson Street (between Byrom St & Fontenoy St) it emerges from its tunnel. It isn't marked as a station on the 1906 map, although it would be the obvious access point.

What were the purpose of these wide cuttings such as Byrom st or the one on the Lime street line by the bullring, the bullring one wasn't a station so was it just for access, otherwise a shaft like Norton st would suffice for steam/smoke. I know the similar James st wide cutting was a station. I don't think it is fact yet that the Hodson street cutting was a station and it doesn't appear on the disused stations site though that also doesn't mean it wasn't.

Blog Entries

What were the purpose of these wide cuttings such as Byrom st or the one on the Lime street line by the bullring, the bullring one wasn't a station so was it just for access, otherwise a shaft like Norton st would suffice for steam/smoke. I know the similar James st wide cutting was a station. I don't think it is fact yet that the Hodson street cutting was a station and it doesn't appear on the disused stations site though that also doesn't mean it wasn't.
    See my other post on the Lime St cuttings. The Waterloo Goods Depot closed down in the 1880s/90s, or was converted to a yard rather than a covered building (need clarification on that). Rail traffic was coming in via the north, so maybe the Waterloo Goods yard was made redundant for goods.

Hodson St station could have closed down at the same time or even earlier if no business was there - or the passenger trains were getting in the way of full goods trains. And you are right to point out why there was a long and wide cutting at Hodson St, when just shafts coped elsewhere. And yes the St. James' station cutting gives a good clue to station usage

Ged, I think you mean St. James' station.
    Last edited by Waterways; 10-03-2007 at 05:24 PM.

how it once was?

Yes, sorry St. James not James st

It's interesting to me about this Hodson street mystery because I hung around there but obviously not in the late 1800s though some might disagree.

I'll kick myself if I find out there were steps up out of there, we had to walk for what seemed like miles.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast