Thread: Anti-German Riots, 1915

Blog Entries

Default Anti-German Riots, 1915

Every now and then, I post a photograph that I could write reams about. Today’s image is a case in point, revealing a bit of Liverpool’s ‘hidden’ and less savoury history. We tend to select those aspects of our past that accentuate the positive, blacker incidents are usually overlooked in the history books.
    On 7 May 1915, the Cunarder RMS Lusitania was sunk by a German U-boat off the tip of southern Ireland killing 1,198 of the 1,959 people aboard. The sinking was a key moment in the First World War, influencing the United States to abandon their neutrality. Controversy has raged over whether Lusitania was a legitimate war target because she was carrying weapons and munitions. In a previous post, I mention the Baralong affair when the British merchant ship flying the flag of neutral USA forced the crew of a U-boat to surrender and then executed them, provoking one of the major diplomatic incidents of the War. My grandfather was a crew member but had nothing to do with the executions, although he was unrepentent about the action, which happened 3 months after the Lusitania’s sinking. The Baralong’s crew had seen the aftermath, with hundreds of corpses of men, women and children lined up along the quayside at Queenstown, so their pent-up anger could be understood to some extent.
    Back in Liverpool, the news of the Lusitania’s sinking was met with an equally violent reaction. The Liverpool Echo reported rioting that broke out on May 11th. ‘A large pork shop at the corner of Smithdown Road and Arundel Avenue had been absolutely wrecked, all the windows had been smashed and the stock commandeered or thrown into the street. Women hurled strings of sausages at one another and one woman from a neighbouring street went down on her knees and scrubbed the pavement with a joint of pork. Other women went home with their aprons full of pork and bacon. After sacking the shops, the invaders went into the living room upstairs and spread destruction …’
    In The Autobiography of a Liverpool Slummy, Pat O’Mara’s account makes fascinating reading and captures the mood of both anger and opportunism that swept the mob.
    ‘That night Freddie and I, clad in our American tailored suits, started for a dance over Paddy’s Market in St Martin’s Hall. We never attended it, however. Before entering the Hall, we walked around Scotland Road listening to the cries of the women whose husbands had gone down with the ‘Lusy’ and we heard the bitter threats against Germany and anything with a German name. We walked down Bostock Street, where practically every blind was drawn in token of a death .All these little houses were occupied by Irish coal-trimmers and firemen and sailormen on the Lusitania … On the corner of Scotland Road, ominous gangs were gathering – men and women, very drunk and very angry. Something was afoot; we could sense that and, like good slummy boys, we crowded around eager to help in any disturbance. Suddenly, something crashed up the road near Ben Jonson Street, followed in turn by another terrific crash of glass. We ran up the road. A pork butcher’s had had its front window knocked in with a brick and a crowd of men and women were wrecking the place – everything suggestive of Germany was being smashed to pieces.’
    Pat O’Mara then left to go back to his home territory in Park Street to continue the ‘fun’, helping destroy Mr Cook’s butchers shop, for although Mr Cook was a patriotic Yorkshireman, his sin was to sell pork. (Pat O’Mara adds that he began to get sick from all the free sausage he had been eating).
    His account is a rare and excellent eye-witness account of a mob in action written by the hand of an active participant.
    The photograph shows how widespread the rioting was. It is an American Press Agency image and is of the Britannia Hotel at 283 Breck Road, on the corner with Coniston Road. My 1910 Gore’s Directory has Charles C. Bobbie as the licensee – hardly a German name but he may not have been there in 1915.
    There is plenty more to add to this story but I suggest reading Pat O’Mara to get the full flavour of those incendiary nights.

More...

www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Thanks Colin.
    Reading that story sent my mind straight back to the Riots earlier this summer. I know they had different origins ,however the indiscriminate destruction of property by casual mob rule, and the initial struggle by the Authorities to gain the upperhand was very similar indeed.

collegepudding

Hi Colin,

Great site. The reason why the pub on the corner of Breck Road and Coniston Street had it's windows smashed in was because Charles C Bobbie's wife Dora M Bobbie according to the census record was born in Germany. Incidently my Great, Great, Grandmother was German and lived in the Everton area she died in 1910 so fortunately was not around at the time of these riots.

Blue

Medal for Sinking of Lusitania. 5 May 1915. Iron 55mm (English Propaganda Copy). Ship sinking, date as "May" instead of "Mai"/People lined up at ticket window buying tickets from "Death". German designer Karl Goetz had been supplied the wrong date (5th instead of the 7th) of the sinking and the British claimed that the wrong date proved that the Germans had planned to sink the ship. The Allies used the sinking of the liner as an example of the barbarity of the German unrestricted U-boat warfare campaign. The 500 original medals by Goetz were cast in August 1915 with the date "5. May 1915", two days before the actual sinking.

Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist
    Editor, Loch Raven Review
    http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/
    Chris on Flickr and on MySpace

I'm only guessing, that pork butchers were usually german,then?

I noticed that Charles Bobbie's middle name was Claus so I decided to do some more digging. He was born Charles Claus Bobbe in Liverpool in 1868 to German parents Christopher, a labourer, and Mary Bobbe. He grew up in the Scotland Road area and used to have a pub in Great Homer Street so his background would have been known by most people in the area. He married Margaretha Dorathea Schumacher in Liverpool in 1891. They continued to live in the area after the attack Charles was living in Anfield when he died in 1933. Dora died in 1927.

Blue

Quote Originally Posted by Blue70 View Post
    I noticed that Charles Bobbie's middle name was Claus so I decided to do some more digging. He was born Charles Claus Bobbe in Liverpool in 1868 to German parents Christopher, a labourer, and Mary Bobbe. He grew up in the Scotland Road area and used to have a pub in Great Homer Street so his background would have been known by most people in the area. He married Margaretha Dorathea Schumacher in Liverpool in 1891. They continued to live in the area after the attack Charles was living in Anfield when he died in 1933. Dora died in 1927.

Blue
    Thanks for adding this interesting information, Blue.

Cheers

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist
    Editor, Loch Raven Review
    http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/
    Chris on Flickr and on MySpace

Keeping It Real !!!!!!!!! ItsaZappathing's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisGeorge View Post
    Thanks for adding this interesting information, Blue.

Cheers

Chris
    I will second that.