Thread: Moorfields Merseyrail Station Old Hall Street Entrance

Default Moorfields Merseyrail Station Old Hall Street Entrance

Hello,

I saw somewere within this forum that someone was curious about a door way to the right of the entrance at Old Hall Street but could not find it again to respond to.

I went around to the entrance the otherday to look at this door way and from my point of view it is more than likely that it leads to the retail unit above this entrance which is a Solicitors Office and is probably only reall an Emergency Exit.

The fact that the Wirrall Line sign is above it seems to be because they have been printed/painted too far apart as it does say Northern & Wirral Line. If you look carefully you will see the mistake they have made with the boards.

That was me

You might be right, but it still looks to me as if it was intended to be a station entrance.

Inside the Old Hall Street entrance, there are some large, newish, white doors that would give access to the ticket office (which is considerably larger than it needs to be, and its old design had a booth in the center and barriers on either side. Almost as if the room was designed to be split in two, with one side for the northern line and one for the wirral line (there is also an alcove for a 4th escalator)

I remember reading that the new loop & link stations were intended to be large stations, but that budget constraints put an end to that, with Moorfields the only one being built before the rationalisation kicked in.

Quote Originally Posted by SKie View Post
    That was me

You might be right, but it still looks to me as if it was intended to be a station entrance.

Inside the Old Hall Street entrance, there are some large, newish, white doors that would give access to the ticket office (which is considerably larger than it needs to be, and its old design had a booth in the center and barriers on either side. Almost as if the room was designed to be split in two, with one side for the northern line and one for the wirral line (there is also an alcove for a 4th escalator)

I remember reading that the new loop & link stations were intended to be large stations, but that budget constraints put an end to that, with Moorfields the only one being built before the rationalisation kicked in.
    I shall have a little look sometime this week but the fourth alcove may have been intended for a fixed stair or it is the home for the mecanics of the esculators.

But in lots of old buildings now threre is allways some were which has either never been used or disused.

You only have to Lok at Rainhill and Garswood Stations (Liverpool Platform) to see that there waiting rooms were mutch bigger at on time.

Well i had a look at the white doors are in Old Hall Street Entrance and it is a Possibilty that this was intended for another retail unit or a back entrance to the old booking office.

But there are some other large white doors in the lower corridoor when you go to the platforms so these ones could be for a retail unit to or they all could simply be stowage cubards or for things such as CCTV and the air conditioning units.

Iam going to email Merseyrail and ask them and see what they say as they are usually prety helpfull.

Or i amy just ask somone on the barriesrs when i go through durring the week if i can get an oportunity.

I've only just realised there's a side entrance into George Street (i think it called that?) at the Old Hall Street side.

Save battling out of Moorfields after 5pm.

Yes thats the one striaght in front of you when you come through the ticket gates.

The one that is a mistery is tatto the right hand side of the Old Hall Street Entrace of the Station.

Will have a look next time i'm in or out that side.