Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Lost forever............

Thanks Ged, yea I got the name wrong!! It looks empty and sorry for itself!

Great pics Gedwood
    BE NICE......................OR ELSE

Cheers, i've just been given the nod as to 3 places that will soon have the boards up around them so must get a few pics tomorrow.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Great thread this and a great idea to get out there snapping before they are gone.
    BE NICE......................OR ELSE

Quote Originally Posted by Spike View Post
    Great thread this and a great idea to get out there snapping before they are gone.

I agree .....well done Geddrington

Keeping It Real !!!!!!!!! ItsaZappathing's Avatar

Excellent pics and info once again Ged. Nice one fella.

Quote Originally Posted by Ged View Post
    Herschell Street, Anfield. A street once noted for having name plates at each end of the street with different spellings.
    Excellent Ged. I wonder if anyone managed to obtain those name plates!

It is Accomplished

Nice one Ged, cracking photos. Keep them coming.
    I wouldn't give Satan a snowball's chance in hell against a woman's ego, man. He'd rule the Earth for a day. A week later we'd see Satan out cuttin' the lawn.

Cheers folks. It's a pleasure.

Brilliant pictures Ged bringing back memories.
    Early 80's Coopers was the first stop for us thirsty sailors after we'd been to the "Pool" on Mann Island to collect our "Pool Money". Well it was a long walk to our next stop The Mona so we needed a break on the way.
    The Coronation played a big part in the grieving rites of our family over the years as we always ended up there following funerals, plus my Mum worked behind the bar there at some stage in the distant past.
    Last edited by garymac; 12-31-2011 at 04:40 PM. Reason: spelling again

Thanks Gary. I'm glad i've managed to include a few places that were dear to you too.

More memories.........

Further landmarks that have bitten the dust and lost forever.

From the inside looking out. Colliers on London Road an institution for the locals of L3 and further afield in the 60s and 70. It had one of those pipe systems for sending your payment upstairs to the offices in a container that went via a system of tubes - and you had to wait likewise for your change back. Polished cabinets with drawers for socks and underware, a bit like Grace Brothers on Are you being served.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

And how it looked in 1956 from the entrance on London Road.

The boarding houses on Springfield off St Anne Street just prior to demolition. Manny Charles betting office was just here to the right of them where my cousins was race up from Gerard Gardens to put their bets on, on a saturday afternoon. This was taken around the time I first took notice of what we were about to lose as this area was once prosperous with Georgian Merchant mansion houses and the Judges lodgings just further along used to have bowling greens to the rear. Queen Victoria and Albert had even stayed at one just around the corner and their heads are carved on the door posts detailing to commemorate the occasion.

Marmaduke street is just one of a swathe of streets demolished from Edge Lane to Wavertree Road, seen here in its last throes.

Apart from Aspinalls shown earlier, the next row of premises along Moss Street are also no more including Hartleys Auctioneers.

The old with the new springing up from Hertford Road in Bootle where a mass dereliction then new build programme is taking place.

Park Road collapsed building which was demolished due to safety issues a little later.

Commutation Row. Build and named at the time of the Commutation Tax regarding daylight (bricked up windows scenarios etc) this row of premises included 4 pubs at one time, The County (aka Peppers), The Hare & Hounds, The Court House and Phase 2 in the old Burtons building on the corner of London Road. These were well frequented by the nearby tenement dwellers so had a captive audience for a lot of the time. Commutation Plaza which now exists here was built in design and colour with some sympathy to its illustrious neighbours and contains modern apartments with a cracking view.

The Granton on Robson street. Again, part of another mass clearance programme including another couple of pubs that will feature later on as there are many more Lost Forever pics still to come.

---------- Post added at 12:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:17 PM ----------

Yes. Originally called the County Hotel, it was always nicknamed/known as Peppers and then they put an actual sign up Peppers. I've got a few pics of inside there as it's one of the pubs on the local walkabout where my family, relatives and friends drank.

---------- Post added at 12:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:22 PM ----------

Peppers in the 80s. Photo by Joe Devine.

---------- Post added at 12:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:24 PM ----------

Mark, sorry, don't know where your post went when I was trying to include a pic of Peppers there for you, but there it is above. Cheers,

Ged.

Excellent photos Ged

So I assume it was called the County with reference to the County Sessions House opposite?
    It is Accomplished

Yes, that's it Mark. Is that how you remember it looking?

Yes Ged, exactly! I get nostalgic seeing these photos. I don't know how others feel but as a decade I quite liked the 80's. Thanks Ged
    It is Accomplished

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast