Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Lost forever............

Default Lost forever............

Looking back at the pics iv'e taken since the 1980s, I was countng up the places that have since been demolished but stopped at 100 as I wasn't even a smidgen the way through.

Here are some of them, recorded for posterity.

Hapton Street chapel which was disused when snapped here. It'd been like this for a long time but I got wind it was to finally go and it did not long afterwards. It was on the corner of Netherfield Road North, just a little bit along from where the Popular cinema was.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Aspinalls carpet showroom. We'd got our oil cloth (or lino is yer posh) from here in the 1970s. It stood open for business but in not too good a state at the corner of Erskine St and Moss St for a long time but now only the wrought iron centre next door stands there alone.

I used to pass this old property on Bankfield Drive when I was in Millbank College in the late 70s. Going past it last week, only the shell remains as a way of a barrier to the wasteland behind it.

As it is today.

Formerly a pub on the dock road and then Beldam House, it collapsed a couple of years ago and the unsafe structure was then demolished completely.

This is a shot I took of Manchester Street in 1990 - just across the road from where I lived. Here's how it looks these days too.

Benson Street which runs between Mount Pleasant and Renshaw Street. Only the bottom three blocks still exist.

These swathes of wastelands in Bootle, looking towards the council buildings on Millers Bridge I captured as somebody requested it. There is new housing all over here now so this view is no longer possible.

Andy Capps which for many years went under the name the Old Stingo when we'd pop in for a pint between our crawl from the New York to the tugboat. My friend bought the pub and land and had 2 houses built which are in the old Nethy Road style with the addition of a great roof terrace overlooking the city and beyond below.

I photographed every pub still standing a few years back and some now are sadly not. Here's another, The Bay Horse on Grinfield Street.

The Royal George, aka Blacks on Park Road. I'd played pool in here as an away venue for the Goat, great craick - great lads.

Inevitably, lots of building feature in my lost forever folder including my old school, St Gregory's on Prince Edwin Street.

www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Blog Entries

Thanks Ged, some great views there
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Cheers Kev. There's so many individual ones that it'd be mad to start a new thread for each on this occasion I think so if I lump them all here and if someone's looking for something in particular, I know what i've got as they're all well logged. Cheers.

Blog Entries

I haven't seen a photie of my old school since I left it many years ago, fekin hated it ! Thanks Ged !

Brilliant Ged, I do remember Aspinalls, its funny how you get used to it not being there when you pass the old ironworks
    Started the Old Swan Website:

http://oldswan.piczo.com/?cr=5

Cheers too to the two Marty's.

Great set of pics there Ged , Thanks.
    I know you like the feedback on memories brought back from old photies, and some of these ones do bring back plenty of memories for me
    The one of Aspinalls is particularly welcome, I remember when it was about to be demolished , not too very long ago ,and i intended to snap it but never got round to doing so. a special thanks to you for having the foresight to do it . My memories of that shop go back to when i was a little kid running home along Shaw Street after visiting me Nins late on of a Saturday afternoon , These are probably winter time memories as The Lights in Aspinalls were always left on whilst closed, and they acted like a beacon guiding me to safety past the scary Unique , with its Bogey Men and the deserted Shaw street Park and the Dark Castle that was the Collegiate School , boy was i made up when i reached Erskine Street !
    ...Thanks for that memory Ged, even though its still scares me thinking back to it .

I think the Aspinall family lived in the House set back from the Road on Kensington just along from the Coach & Horses and next to the Church Hall.

The business is now relocated on the little Industrial Estate further back up the road on the same side as the old Shop, to the rear of The old Bridewell.

collegepudding

Blog Entries

Unique , with its Bogey Men and the deserted Shaw street Park and the Dark Castle that was the Collegiate School ,
    I remember that too CP, ran like fek to get home, I was going the other way though !

Excellent photos Ged Sad to see the one on Bankfield Road all but gone. In the last year both wings of my former school West Derby Comp have been demolished - the one there on Bankie and the higher wing on Quarry Road as well.
    It is Accomplished

Quote Originally Posted by Ged View Post
    Looking back at the pics iv'e taken since the 1980s, I was countng up the places that have since been demolished but stopped at 100 as I wasn't even a smidgen the way through.

Here are some of them, recorded for posterity.

Hapton Street chapel which was disused when snapped here. It'd been like this for a long time but I got wind it was to finally go and it did not long afterwards. It was on the corner of Netherfield Road North, just a little bit along from where the Popular cinema was.

Aspinalls carpet showroom. We'd got our oil cloth (or lino is yer posh) from here in the 1970s. It stood open for business but in not too good a state at the corner of Erskine St and Moss St for a long time but now only the wrought iron centre next door stands there alone.

I used to pass this old property on Bankfield Drive when I was in Millbank College in the late 70s. Going past it last week, only the shell remains as a way of a barrier to the wasteland behind it.

As it is today.

Formerly a pub on the dock road and then Beldam House, it collapsed a couple of years ago and the unsafe structure was then demolished completely.

This is a shot I took of Manchester Street in 1990 - just across the road from where I lived. Here's how it looks these days too.

Benson Street which runs between Mount Pleasant and Renshaw Street. Only the bottom three blocks still exist.

These swathes of wastelands in Bootle, looking towards the council buildings on Millers Bridge I captured as somebody requested it. There is new housing all over here now so this view is no longer possible.

Andy Capps which for many years went under the name the Old Stingo when we'd pop in for a pint between our crawl from the New York to the tugboat. My friend bought the pub and land and had 2 houses built which are in the old Nethy Road style with the addition of a great roof terrace overlooking the city and beyond below.

I photographed every pub still standing a few years back and some now are sadly not. Here's another, The Bay Horse on Grinfield Street.

The Royal George, aka Blacks on Park Road. I'd played pool in here as an away venue for the Goat, great craick - great lads.

Inevitably, lots of building feature in my lost forever folder including my old school, St Gregory's on Prince Edwin Street.

Ged
    The first picture is the church where I got married it was brand new had moved from Torr St and I think we were some of the first to be married there.On the day it was a cup match, the Oxford and Cambridge boat race and the Grand National, the reception was in the Lord Nelson and the Dave Clark Five were on at the Empire but were staying at the Lord Nelson so after the show the hotel had to lock the doors to keep the screaming girls out and the Dave Clark Five joined the wedding party to the early hours of the morning.It was the talk of the office when I went back to work.

Quote Originally Posted by collegepudding View Post
    The Lights in Aspinalls were always left on whilst closed, and they acted like a beacon guiding me to safety past the scary Unique , with its Bogey Men and the deserted Shaw street Park and the Dark Castle that was the Collegiate School , boy was i made up when i reached Erskine Street !
    ...Thanks for that memory Ged, even though its still scares me thinking back to it

The business is now relocated on the little Industrial Estate further back up the road on the same side as the old Shop, to the rear of The old Bridewell.
    Yes, I would imagine Shaw st was dark and foboding - and still is !
    The collegiate, although a nice building, always seems rather dark and ominous

I didn't know Aspinalls are now in the small Industrial Estate.

---------- Post added at 11:54 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:51 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Mark R View Post
    Excellent photos Ged Sad to see the one on Bankfield Road all but gone. In the last year both wings of my former school West Derby Comp have been demolished - the one there on Bankie and the higher wing on Quarry Road as well.
    The new school looks lovely though. Very modern and smart.

The Benson St buildings and the waste land to the side could soon become more student flats.

Quote Originally Posted by lindylou View Post
    Yes, I would imagine Shaw st was dark and foboding - and still is !
    The collegiate, although a nice building, always seems rather dark and ominous

I didn't know Aspinalls are now in the small Industrial Estate.

---------- Post added at 11:54 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:51 AM ----------

The new school looks lovely though. Very modern and smart.

Yes lindy, the young collegepudding never used to stop at that particular college.

Nowadays its not too bad as the Collegiate usually has a fair bit of visible internal lighting due to it now being residential, plus the Hope University building [ old SFX ] and the Converted Houses along from Langsdale Street all add to making the road much more pleasant during the hours of darkness, and the old Sarah McCard Nursery up on the hill by the park appears to be being prepared for another apartment development.

collegepudding

Thank Ged, these are what I call great pics,

SFX was my school, infants and juniors........when we were old enough to take ourselves to and from school I was always warned by my Mum NEVER to go through 'Shaw Street park' ........found out much later that the park is really called Whitley Gardens.....never did find out why we couldn't use it though.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast