Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Lost forever............

Blog Entries

I was always warned by my Mum NEVER to go through 'Shaw Street park' ........found out much later that the park is really called Whitley Gardens.....never did find out why we couldn't use it though.
    Maybe because I played there !!

Keep posting these great pics Ged,

Quote Originally Posted by Marty1 View Post
    Maybe because I played there !!

A great variety of pic's there Ged,the one's you forget,so quickly! (well,I do,anyway!)

Thank you so much everybody for the kind comments. There will be plenty more to come.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Cazneau Street flats hailed from the mid 1950s but bit the dust in August last year - doesn't seem over a year ago. Had a few school friends that lived here. The white building was the Denbigh Castle pub up until a few years back. Managed by the Clarkes during the 60s and 70s, Joe and Paula Byrne then took it over and it was my local in the 90s. They later added a shop on the wasteland between it and Bishop Goss school. These flats have featured on pics taken by Yo's own Gregs dad and Eric James during the 60s and 70s.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

The JMU building on Clarence Street. This was just a week before the boards went up around it as I got the nod. Books such as Freddy O'Connors' 'It all came tumbling down' influence me in the 1980s to get taking these shots in the last 20 odd years. I'm amazed since the internet to see the great shots recorded by Liverpool's photographers in the 50s, 60s 70s and 80s.

The oldest Georgian terrace that remained on Dale street dating from the 1700s. It was listed though was more like listing. I'd always said the side elevation into Cheapside was billowing out and there'd already been a steel plate used to pull it in but was failing. This corner has now been demolished.

The 1960s Lime Street Concourse pictured from St. Johns multi storey car park. This, like many locations whose demise was well publicised were photographed by many.

Coopers Emporium. One of our Sunday afternoon walkabout places down that way. Previously in the 80s I'd drank upstairs in the Kingston, accessed by the door around the corner in James Street, part of the Kingston Hotel.

My jaunts to collect pub images before they all vanished, inspired by my old neighbour Joe Devine took me far and wide including Halewood, Kirkby and Crosby amongst others. Here on Childwall Valley Road was the Coronation.

More housing, pubs, schools, shops etc to follow.

Great to see the memory of these places kept alive by local photographers.

Lime Street Station looks much better now!

I watched Liverpool win the European Cup in Coopers!

Keeping It Real !!!!!!!!! ItsaZappathing's Avatar

Cracker pics again Ged. Well done getting all these places.

(By the way, I met a guy today in Nogzy who knew your dad and family very well - McKrieth his name is. I told him I would pass on his regards).

Thanks Folks and I appreciate that John.

Blog Entries

Great archive record Ged I hope they rebuild that curved corner to the Dale Street, Georgian block, rather than a glass infill?
    "I have never let my schooling interfere with my education."... ... ... Mark Twain.

Thanks Ged, once again great pics,

Thanks Ged, Sad to see part of the Georgian terrace on Dale street being demolished, I suppose the rest will follow?!

As Christmas 2011 is around the corner, we'll start with something topical today and wind back 21 years to 1990 and this pic of Church Street decked out. Quite a few changes since then, Olympus on the left and C&A on the right were still trading back then.

Dale St showing the Gilmore 'blue movie' club at the top of Manchester street before a gas cannister exploded in it blowing it up. Taken from the roof of Blackburn Chambers in the early 80s when I first started taking Liverpool photos. We lived here up until 1990 and it was a great rare vantage point.

The corner of Great Crosshall Street and Fontenoy Street once housed the Dart pub where my brother was in the Darts team funnily enough. It was later sold to developers who turned it into student accommodation. Tapley/D. Evans manufacturers and exporters was next door but it all came tumbling down a few years back as you can see here, along with the Byrom pub aka the Pie Shop. The land is currently a car park with plans to built a high rise building on it. That's Byrom St JMU in the background.

Another 1990 shot. Dryden street runs from Scotland Road down to Great Homer Street. Tysons construction and their cranes were once a landmark here. The whole block to the North was demolished and new housing new stands there.

The Easby Road estate is only the other side of Stanley Road from my in-laws. Having frequented the flower streets since the early 80s I got to know quite a few families from here, some of whom i've furnished with photographs of the original streets from the 1950s, pre this estate. The estate has undergone demolition in the last year but the shot of Rollo Street where my wife's grandparents lived was the first phase of the demolition some years back and is a lot older than the Easby Road pic.

I was shocked to find this fine old art deco establishment flattened when I last passed it a couple of months back. The Liverpool Arms stood facing practically opposite the main gates to Ford Cemetery on Gorsey Lane.

The Dog & Gun was a well known landmark pub on the fringes of Norris Green and Croxteth. In fact the Liverpool A-Z names the old district in which it stood as the Dog and Gun. Beset with problems over gangs and drugs, it was vacated, became run down and derelict and eventually demolished just a few years ago, but gladly, not before I managed to snap it.

Balliol House on Balliol Road. Somebody who used to work here for 30 years and who is now in Bristol asked me to catch this one sharpish.

---------- Post added at 12:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:06 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Doris Mousdale View Post
    Ged
    The first picture is the church where I got married it was brand new had moved from Torr St and I think we were some of the first to be married there.On the day it was a cup match, the Oxford and Cambridge boat race and the Grand National, the reception was in the Lord Nelson and the Dave Clark Five were on at the Empire but were staying at the Lord Nelson so after the show the hotel had to lock the doors to keep the screaming girls out and the Dave Clark Five joined the wedding party to the early hours of the morning.It was the talk of the office when I went back to work.
    Doris, I bet you felt glad all over.

Excellent photos Ged That one in 1990 on Church St is great.
    The one in an earlier post of JMU building on Clarence Street reminded me - wasn't there a cafe almost opposite called Fonz's Snack Bar? Or am I imagining this?!!

---------- Post added at 12:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:57 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by burkhilly View Post
    Lime Street Station looks much better now!

I watched Liverpool win the European Cup in Coopers!
    I agree re: Lime Street. Which European Cup win was it Burkhilly?
    It is Accomplished

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast