YO! Liverpool
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 131

Thread: Lost forever............

  1. #1
    Re-member Ged's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Here, there & everywhere.
    Posts
    7,198
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 7 Times in 5 Posts

    Default Lost forever............

    Looking back at the pics iv'e taken since the 1980s, I was countng up the places that have since been demolished but stopped at 100 as I wasn't even a smidgen the way through.

    Here are some of them, recorded for posterity.


    Hapton Street chapel which was disused when snapped here. It'd been like this for a long time but I got wind it was to finally go and it did not long afterwards. It was on the corner of Netherfield Road North, just a little bit along from where the Popular cinema was.



    Uploaded with ImageShack.us


    Aspinalls carpet showroom. We'd got our oil cloth (or lino is yer posh) from here in the 1970s. It stood open for business but in not too good a state at the corner of Erskine St and Moss St for a long time but now only the wrought iron centre next door stands there alone.



    Uploaded with ImageShack.us


    I used to pass this old property on Bankfield Drive when I was in Millbank College in the late 70s. Going past it last week, only the shell remains as a way of a barrier to the wasteland behind it.



    Uploaded with ImageShack.us

    As it is today.



    Uploaded with ImageShack.us


    Formerly a pub on the dock road and then Beldam House, it collapsed a couple of years ago and the unsafe structure was then demolished completely.



    Uploaded with ImageShack.us

    This is a shot I took of Manchester Street in 1990 - just across the road from where I lived. Here's how it looks these days too.



    Uploaded with ImageShack.us



    Uploaded with ImageShack.us

    Benson Street which runs between Mount Pleasant and Renshaw Street. Only the bottom three blocks still exist.



    Uploaded with ImageShack.us

    These swathes of wastelands in Bootle, looking towards the council buildings on Millers Bridge I captured as somebody requested it. There is new housing all over here now so this view is no longer possible.



    Uploaded with ImageShack.us

    Andy Capps which for many years went under the name the Old Stingo when we'd pop in for a pint between our crawl from the New York to the tugboat. My friend bought the pub and land and had 2 houses built which are in the old Nethy Road style with the addition of a great roof terrace overlooking the city and beyond below.



    Uploaded with ImageShack.us

    I photographed every pub still standing a few years back and some now are sadly not. Here's another, The Bay Horse on Grinfield Street.



    Uploaded with ImageShack.us

    The Royal George, aka Blacks on Park Road. I'd played pool in here as an away venue for the Goat, great craick - great lads.


    ADVERTISING






    Uploaded with ImageShack.us

    Inevitably, lots of building feature in my lost forever folder including my old school, St Gregory's on Prince Edwin Street.



    Uploaded with ImageShack.us


    .
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

    Updated weekly with old and new pics.

  2. #2
    Creator & Administrator Kev's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Under The Stairs >> Under The Mud.
    Posts
    7,491
    Thanks
    11
    Thanked 13 Times in 11 Posts
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default

    Thanks Ged, some great views there
    Liverpool in Pictures/ YO! Liverpool has taken me over 10 years to develop and maintain.

    All server & domain costs are covered by myself & kind donations of individuals.

    If you like the website, please donatevia PayPal!




    Thank you


    Kev
    2005 - 2017

  3. #3
    Re-member Ged's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Here, there & everywhere.
    Posts
    7,198
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 7 Times in 5 Posts

    Default

    Cheers Kev. There's so many individual ones that it'd be mad to start a new thread for each on this occasion I think so if I lump them all here and if someone's looking for something in particular, I know what i've got as they're all well logged. Cheers.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

    Updated weekly with old and new pics.

  4. #4
    Senior Member Marty1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    279
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    I haven't seen a photie of my old school since I left it many years ago, fekin hated it ! Thanks Ged !

  5. #5
    Martin hmtmaj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Stoneycroft / Old Swan
    Posts
    851
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Default

    Brilliant Ged, I do remember Aspinalls, its funny how you get used to it not being there when you pass the old ironworks
    Started the Old Swan Website:

    http://oldswan.piczo.com/?cr=5

  6. #6
    Re-member Ged's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Here, there & everywhere.
    Posts
    7,198
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 7 Times in 5 Posts

    Default

    Cheers too to the two Marty's.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

    Updated weekly with old and new pics.

  7. #7
    Senior Member collegepudding's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    out & about -when not at home
    Posts
    221
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Great set of pics there Ged , Thanks.
    I know you like the feedback on memories brought back from old photies, and some of these ones do bring back plenty of memories for me
    The one of Aspinalls is particularly welcome, I remember when it was about to be demolished , not too very long ago ,and i intended to snap it but never got round to doing so. a special thanks to you for having the foresight to do it . My memories of that shop go back to when i was a little kid running home along Shaw Street after visiting me Nins late on of a Saturday afternoon , These are probably winter time memories as The Lights in Aspinalls were always left on whilst closed, and they acted like a beacon guiding me to safety past the scary Unique , with its Bogey Men and the deserted Shaw street Park and the Dark Castle that was the Collegiate School , boy was i made up when i reached Erskine Street !
    ...Thanks for that memory Ged, even though its still scares me thinking back to it .

    I think the Aspinall family lived in the House set back from the Road on Kensington just along from the Coach & Horses and next to the Church Hall.

    The business is now relocated on the little Industrial Estate further back up the road on the same side as the old Shop, to the rear of The old Bridewell.

    collegepudding

  8. #8
    Senior Member Marty1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    279
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    Unique , with its Bogey Men and the deserted Shaw street Park and the Dark Castle that was the Collegiate School ,
    I remember that too CP, ran like fek to get home, I was going the other way though !

  9. #9
    Senior Member Mark R's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    705
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Excellent photos Ged Sad to see the one on Bankfield Road all but gone. In the last year both wings of my former school West Derby Comp have been demolished - the one there on Bankie and the higher wing on Quarry Road as well.
    It is Accomplished

  10. #10
    Senior Member Doris Mousdale's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    102
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ged View Post
    Looking back at the pics iv'e taken since the 1980s, I was countng up the places that have since been demolished but stopped at 100 as I wasn't even a smidgen the way through.

    Here are some of them, recorded for posterity.


    Hapton Street chapel which was disused when snapped here. It'd been like this for a long time but I got wind it was to finally go and it did not long afterwards. It was on the corner of Netherfield Road North, just a little bit along from where the Popular cinema was.



    Uploaded with ImageShack.us


    Aspinalls carpet showroom. We'd got our oil cloth (or lino is yer posh) from here in the 1970s. It stood open for business but in not too good a state at the corner of Erskine St and Moss St for a long time but now only the wrought iron centre next door stands there alone.



    Uploaded with ImageShack.us


    I used to pass this old property on Bankfield Drive when I was in Millbank College in the late 70s. Going past it last week, only the shell remains as a way of a barrier to the wasteland behind it.



    Uploaded with ImageShack.us

    As it is today.



    Uploaded with ImageShack.us


    Formerly a pub on the dock road and then Beldam House, it collapsed a couple of years ago and the unsafe structure was then demolished completely.



    Uploaded with ImageShack.us

    This is a shot I took of Manchester Street in 1990 - just across the road from where I lived. Here's how it looks these days too.



    Uploaded with ImageShack.us



    Uploaded with ImageShack.us

    Benson Street which runs between Mount Pleasant and Renshaw Street. Only the bottom three blocks still exist.



    Uploaded with ImageShack.us

    These swathes of wastelands in Bootle, looking towards the council buildings on Millers Bridge I captured as somebody requested it. There is new housing all over here now so this view is no longer possible.



    Uploaded with ImageShack.us

    Andy Capps which for many years went under the name the Old Stingo when we'd pop in for a pint between our crawl from the New York to the tugboat. My friend bought the pub and land and had 2 houses built which are in the old Nethy Road style with the addition of a great roof terrace overlooking the city and beyond below.



    Uploaded with ImageShack.us

    I photographed every pub still standing a few years back and some now are sadly not. Here's another, The Bay Horse on Grinfield Street.



    Uploaded with ImageShack.us

    The Royal George, aka Blacks on Park Road. I'd played pool in here as an away venue for the Goat, great craick - great lads.



    Uploaded with ImageShack.us

    Inevitably, lots of building feature in my lost forever folder including my old school, St Gregory's on Prince Edwin Street.



    Uploaded with ImageShack.us


    .
    Ged
    The first picture is the church where I got married it was brand new had moved from Torr St and I think we were some of the first to be married there.On the day it was a cup match, the Oxford and Cambridge boat race and the Grand National, the reception was in the Lord Nelson and the Dave Clark Five were on at the Empire but were staying at the Lord Nelson so after the show the hotel had to lock the doors to keep the screaming girls out and the Dave Clark Five joined the wedding party to the early hours of the morning.It was the talk of the office when I went back to work.

  11. #11
    Senior Member lindylou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    3,678
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by collegepudding View Post
    The Lights in Aspinalls were always left on whilst closed, and they acted like a beacon guiding me to safety past the scary Unique , with its Bogey Men and the deserted Shaw street Park and the Dark Castle that was the Collegiate School , boy was i made up when i reached Erskine Street !
    ...Thanks for that memory Ged, even though its still scares me thinking back to it

    The business is now relocated on the little Industrial Estate further back up the road on the same side as the old Shop, to the rear of The old Bridewell.
    Yes, I would imagine Shaw st was dark and foboding - and still is !
    The collegiate, although a nice building, always seems rather dark and ominous

    I didn't know Aspinalls are now in the small Industrial Estate.

    ---------- Post added at 11:54 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:51 AM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Mark R View Post
    Excellent photos Ged Sad to see the one on Bankfield Road all but gone. In the last year both wings of my former school West Derby Comp have been demolished - the one there on Bankie and the higher wing on Quarry Road as well.
    The new school looks lovely though. Very modern and smart.

  12. #12
    Senior Member GNASHER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Barking up the wrong tree
    Posts
    316
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    The Benson St buildings and the waste land to the side could soon become more student flats.

  13. #13
    Senior Member collegepudding's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    out & about -when not at home
    Posts
    221
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lindylou View Post
    Yes, I would imagine Shaw st was dark and foboding - and still is !
    The collegiate, although a nice building, always seems rather dark and ominous

    I didn't know Aspinalls are now in the small Industrial Estate.

    ---------- Post added at 11:54 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:51 AM ----------



    The new school looks lovely though. Very modern and smart.

    Yes lindy, the young collegepudding never used to stop at that particular college.

    Nowadays its not too bad as the Collegiate usually has a fair bit of visible internal lighting due to it now being residential, plus the Hope University building [ old SFX ] and the Converted Houses along from Langsdale Street all add to making the road much more pleasant during the hours of darkness, and the old Sarah McCard Nursery up on the hill by the park appears to be being prepared for another apartment development.

    collegepudding

  14. #14
    Senior Member johnny blue's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    North Merseyside
    Posts
    91
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Thank Ged, these are what I call great pics,

  15. #15
    Senior Member Lizzie1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Liverpool
    Age
    65
    Posts
    291
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    SFX was my school, infants and juniors........when we were old enough to take ourselves to and from school I was always warned by my Mum NEVER to go through 'Shaw Street park' ........found out much later that the park is really called Whitley Gardens.....never did find out why we couldn't use it though.

  16. #16
    Senior Member Marty1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    279
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    I was always warned by my Mum NEVER to go through 'Shaw Street park' ........found out much later that the park is really called Whitley Gardens.....never did find out why we couldn't use it though.
    Maybe because I played there !!

  17. #17
    Senior Member johnny blue's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    North Merseyside
    Posts
    91
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Keep posting these great pics Ged,

  18. #18
    Senior Member Lizzie1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Liverpool
    Age
    65
    Posts
    291
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Marty1 View Post
    Maybe because I played there !!

  19. #19
    Senior Member wsteve55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Crosby
    Posts
    2,199
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    A great variety of pic's there Ged,the one's you forget,so quickly! (well,I do,anyway!)

  20. #20
    Re-member Ged's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Here, there & everywhere.
    Posts
    7,198
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 7 Times in 5 Posts

    Default

    Thank you so much everybody for the kind comments. There will be plenty more to come.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

    Updated weekly with old and new pics.

  21. #21
    Re-member Ged's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Here, there & everywhere.
    Posts
    7,198
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 7 Times in 5 Posts

    Default

    Cazneau Street flats hailed from the mid 1950s but bit the dust in August last year - doesn't seem over a year ago. Had a few school friends that lived here. The white building was the Denbigh Castle pub up until a few years back. Managed by the Clarkes during the 60s and 70s, Joe and Paula Byrne then took it over and it was my local in the 90s. They later added a shop on the wasteland between it and Bishop Goss school. These flats have featured on pics taken by Yo's own Gregs dad and Eric James during the 60s and 70s.



    Uploaded with ImageShack.us


    The JMU building on Clarence Street. This was just a week before the boards went up around it as I got the nod. Books such as Freddy O'Connors' 'It all came tumbling down' influence me in the 1980s to get taking these shots in the last 20 odd years. I'm amazed since the internet to see the great shots recorded by Liverpool's photographers in the 50s, 60s 70s and 80s.




    Uploaded with ImageShack.us


    The oldest Georgian terrace that remained on Dale street dating from the 1700s. It was listed though was more like listing. I'd always said the side elevation into Cheapside was billowing out and there'd already been a steel plate used to pull it in but was failing. This corner has now been demolished.



    Uploaded with ImageShack.us



    Uploaded with ImageShack.us


    The 1960s Lime Street Concourse pictured from St. Johns multi storey car park. This, like many locations whose demise was well publicised were photographed by many.



    Uploaded with ImageShack.us


    Coopers Emporium. One of our Sunday afternoon walkabout places down that way. Previously in the 80s I'd drank upstairs in the Kingston, accessed by the door around the corner in James Street, part of the Kingston Hotel.



    Uploaded with ImageShack.us



    Uploaded with ImageShack.us


    My jaunts to collect pub images before they all vanished, inspired by my old neighbour Joe Devine took me far and wide including Halewood, Kirkby and Crosby amongst others. Here on Childwall Valley Road was the Coronation.



    Uploaded with ImageShack.us


    More housing, pubs, schools, shops etc to follow.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

    Updated weekly with old and new pics.

  22. #22
    Senior Member BlueJeans's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Liverpool
    Posts
    59
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Great to see the memory of these places kept alive by local photographers.

  23. #23
    Senior Member burkhilly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Liverpool, of course
    Posts
    376
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Lime Street Station looks much better now!

    I watched Liverpool win the European Cup in Coopers!

  24. #24
    Keeping It Real !!!!!!!!! ItsaZappathing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    NORRIS GREEN/FAZAKERLEY
    Posts
    1,319
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Cracker pics again Ged. Well done getting all these places.

    (By the way, I met a guy today in Nogzy who knew your dad and family very well - McKrieth his name is. I told him I would pass on his regards).

  25. #25
    Re-member Ged's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Here, there & everywhere.
    Posts
    7,198
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 7 Times in 5 Posts

    Default

    Thanks Folks and I appreciate that John.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

    Updated weekly with old and new pics.

  26. #26
    Senior Member dazza's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Third rock
    Posts
    1,129
    Thanks
    26
    Thanked 12 Times in 8 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default

    Great archive record Ged I hope they rebuild that curved corner to the Dale Street, Georgian block, rather than a glass infill?
    "I have never let my schooling interfere with my education."... ... ... Mark Twain.

  27. #27
    Senior Member johnny blue's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    North Merseyside
    Posts
    91
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Thanks Ged, once again great pics,

  28. #28
    Senior Member Lizzie1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Liverpool
    Age
    65
    Posts
    291
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Thanks Ged, Sad to see part of the Georgian terrace on Dale street being demolished, I suppose the rest will follow?!

  29. #29
    Re-member Ged's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Here, there & everywhere.
    Posts
    7,198
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 7 Times in 5 Posts

    Default

    As Christmas 2011 is around the corner, we'll start with something topical today and wind back 21 years to 1990 and this pic of Church Street decked out. Quite a few changes since then, Olympus on the left and C&A on the right were still trading back then.



    Uploaded with ImageShack.us


    Dale St showing the Gilmore 'blue movie' club at the top of Manchester street before a gas cannister exploded in it blowing it up. Taken from the roof of Blackburn Chambers in the early 80s when I first started taking Liverpool photos. We lived here up until 1990 and it was a great rare vantage point.



    Uploaded with ImageShack.us


    The corner of Great Crosshall Street and Fontenoy Street once housed the Dart pub where my brother was in the Darts team funnily enough. It was later sold to developers who turned it into student accommodation. Tapley/D. Evans manufacturers and exporters was next door but it all came tumbling down a few years back as you can see here, along with the Byrom pub aka the Pie Shop. The land is currently a car park with plans to built a high rise building on it. That's Byrom St JMU in the background.



    Uploaded with ImageShack.us


    Another 1990 shot. Dryden street runs from Scotland Road down to Great Homer Street. Tysons construction and their cranes were once a landmark here. The whole block to the North was demolished and new housing new stands there.



    Uploaded with ImageShack.us


    The Easby Road estate is only the other side of Stanley Road from my in-laws. Having frequented the flower streets since the early 80s I got to know quite a few families from here, some of whom i've furnished with photographs of the original streets from the 1950s, pre this estate. The estate has undergone demolition in the last year but the shot of Rollo Street where my wife's grandparents lived was the first phase of the demolition some years back and is a lot older than the Easby Road pic.



    Uploaded with ImageShack.us



    Uploaded with ImageShack.us



    I was shocked to find this fine old art deco establishment flattened when I last passed it a couple of months back. The Liverpool Arms stood facing practically opposite the main gates to Ford Cemetery on Gorsey Lane.



    Uploaded with ImageShack.us


    The Dog & Gun was a well known landmark pub on the fringes of Norris Green and Croxteth. In fact the Liverpool A-Z names the old district in which it stood as the Dog and Gun. Beset with problems over gangs and drugs, it was vacated, became run down and derelict and eventually demolished just a few years ago, but gladly, not before I managed to snap it.



    Uploaded with ImageShack.us


    Balliol House on Balliol Road. Somebody who used to work here for 30 years and who is now in Bristol asked me to catch this one sharpish.




    Uploaded with ImageShack.us

    ---------- Post added at 12:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:06 AM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Doris Mousdale View Post
    Ged
    The first picture is the church where I got married it was brand new had moved from Torr St and I think we were some of the first to be married there.On the day it was a cup match, the Oxford and Cambridge boat race and the Grand National, the reception was in the Lord Nelson and the Dave Clark Five were on at the Empire but were staying at the Lord Nelson so after the show the hotel had to lock the doors to keep the screaming girls out and the Dave Clark Five joined the wedding party to the early hours of the morning.It was the talk of the office when I went back to work.
    Doris, I bet you felt glad all over.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

    Updated weekly with old and new pics.

  30. #30
    Senior Member Mark R's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    705
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Excellent photos Ged That one in 1990 on Church St is great.
    The one in an earlier post of JMU building on Clarence Street reminded me - wasn't there a cafe almost opposite called Fonz's Snack Bar? Or am I imagining this?!!

    ---------- Post added at 12:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:57 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by burkhilly View Post
    Lime Street Station looks much better now!

    I watched Liverpool win the European Cup in Coopers!
    I agree re: Lime Street. Which European Cup win was it Burkhilly?
    It is Accomplished

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Strawberry Fields Forever
    By Colin Wilkinson in forum Colin Wilkinson's Streets of Liverpool
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-23-2012, 11:20 PM
  2. Possible Williamson Tunnel Lost Forever
    By Williamson Tunnels in forum Liverpool Conservation
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-25-2011, 12:34 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

For daily updates, to support us further or to join in the conversation: Follow us on Twitter @YOLiverpool / Like our Facebook Page: @yoliverpoolpics / Join the Facebook Group: YO! Liverpool Pictures

× Thanks for coming to the web site. Support our future by turning off your Ad-Blocker or consider a donation via PayPal or Credit Card!