Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: New Mersey Ferry Terminal Building

Blog Entries

Merseyrose,

Liverpool is the home of the modern building - and the skyscraper. The world's first steel framed glass curtain walled building is Oriel Chambers - 1864. (I think Ged took this pic)

The city was very advanced over 100 years ago and didn't care about the past too much. Take the towers off the Liver Buildings and it is a building that is seen in NY and Chicago at the time. The tall skyscrapers in New York were based on its construction method. The later glass towers on Oriel Chambers.

There is around 12km of granite quayed docks and these were built into the river - all reclaimed from the water. They have been compared with the building of the pyramids - and that is about right.

The city cannot stand still. We have a fantastic legacy of redundant dock waters to be developed, that other cities would drool over. Yet the city sees fit to fill these water spaces to build uninspiring buildings on them. See my link in my sig. The city can become an Amsterdam, and quite quickly too. It must be done right and the centre must move towards the docks water spaces. Some ideas of what may happen in Central Docks:
    Liverpool Waters

The idea is to get people into the centre and add vibrancy. That can be done by high rise apartments. So far it has worked and needs to get more dense.

Then we have an old underground rail system that needs extending - the city is full of disused stations under it ready for re-use - some are amongst the oldest rail tunnels in the world. High density requires a rapid transit rail system.

Ian Nairn (architectural writer and BBC broadcaster), Britain's Changing Towns, 1967:
    "The scale and resilience of the buildings and people [of Liverpool] is amazing - it is a world city, far more so than London or Manchester. It doesn't feel like anywhere else in Lancashire: comparisons always end up overseas - Dublin, or Boston, or Hamburg. The city is tremendous, and so, right up to the First World War, were the abilities of the architects who built over it - the less said about the last forty years the better.. The centre is humane and convenient to walk around in, but never loses its scale. And, in spite of the [Luftwaffe] bombings and the carelessness, it is still full of superb buildings. Fifty years ago it must have outdone anything in England."

London Illustrated News - 1886:
    'Liverpool, thanks to modern science & commercial enterprise, to the spirit & intelligence of the townsmen, & to the administration of the Mersey docks & harbour board, has become a wonder of the world. It is the New York of Europe, a world city rather than merely British provincial'.

US author, Herman Melville, who wrote Moby Dick, compared the vast construction to that of the pyramids - he was not far off in the magnitude of the constructions. 'Redburn, His First Voyage' by Herman Melville 1849...

"Previous to this, having only seen the miserable wooden wharves and shambling piers of New York... in Liverpool I beheld long China walls of masonry; vast piers of stone; and a succession of granite-rimmed docks, completely enclosed. The extent and solidity of these structures seemed equal to what I had read of the old pyramids of Egypt. In magnitude, cost and durability the docks of Liverpool surpass all others in the world... for miles you may walk along that riverside, passing dock after dock, like a chain of immense fortresses.

Prince's Dock, of comparatively recent construction, is perhaps the largest of all and is well known to American sailors from the fact that it is mostly frequented by the American shipping. Here lie the noble New York packets, which at home are found at the foot of Wall-Street; and here also lie the Mobile and Savannah cotton ships and traders."

UNESCO stated that Liverpool played a major part in the largest migration of people in history. More people left for America via Liverpool than any other port. Scandinavians and Germans had to get to Liverpool to get to America. Many stayed. The old docks are of world importance.

But we can't stand still Nothing happened in the past 30 years, losing half of the population. The city desperately needs to move on.
    Last edited by Waterways; 09-01-2008 at 10:47 AM.
    The new Amsterdam at Liverpool?
    Save Liverpool Docks and Waterways - Click

Deprived of its unique dockland waters Liverpool
    becomes a Venice without canals, just another city, no
    longer of special interest to anyone, least of all the
    tourist. Would we visit a modernised Venice of filled in
    canals to view its modern museum describing
    how it once was?

Giving Liverpool a full Metro - CLICK
    Rapid-transit rail: Everton, Liverpool & Arena - CLICK

Save Royal Iris - Sign Petition

Thank you so much for your interesting reply!

Yes, the docks system in Liverpool is probably unique. All the buildings mentioned in the quotations were modern at the time but now are essential features of the city - and part of its heritage and beautiful to look at, too.

As I said, I'm happy for you all because of these changes, some of which are necessary, some of which are great, and some of which are both. Of course every city keeps changing in the course of time, it's only natural and inevitable. Otherwise we'd still be living in medieval towns and clear out our nightpots into the streets. LOL! I'm not opposed to progress, nor to concrete, steel and glass buildings, skyscrapers (actually, I loved them in New York) etc. I just don't want to see Liverpool losing its wonderful and unique heritage and character and turn into another face-, character- and soulless city which can be found anywhere today.

Blog Entries

The changes have to be well thought out and all aspects taken in to account. There has been in some projects no joined up thinking at all. The Kings Dock will be a major financial success (that is all many think about) because of the 10,000 seater arena and conference centre, but it is as hell of a visual let down. See:
    Kings Dock How Not to Do it

The dock system is "interconnected" and the biggest of its type in the world. Ships can move from dock to dock 24 hours a day irrespective of tide levels - Liverpool has the 4th highest tidal range in the world.

The Liverpool city waterfront is one of the most distinctive in the world and by far the best in Europe so far, and getting better. When you see it is says, "this is Liverpool". We must maintain that distinction and that can be done with modern buildings too.

Have a look at the Time Team TV programme on Liverpool's first dock - and a decent piece on the history of the city.

Part 1 YouTube - A Time Team Special - The Lost Dock Of Liverpool Pt1

Part 2 YouTube - A Time Team Special - The Lost Dock Of Liverpool Pt2

Part 3 YouTube - A Time Team Special - The Lost Dock Of Liverpool Pt3

Part 4 YouTube - A Time Team Special - The Lost Dock Of Liverpool Pt4

Part 5 YouTube - A Time Team Special - The Lost Dock Of Liverpool Pt5
    The new Amsterdam at Liverpool?
    Save Liverpool Docks and Waterways - Click

Deprived of its unique dockland waters Liverpool
    becomes a Venice without canals, just another city, no
    longer of special interest to anyone, least of all the
    tourist. Would we visit a modernised Venice of filled in
    canals to view its modern museum describing
    how it once was?

Giving Liverpool a full Metro - CLICK
    Rapid-transit rail: Everton, Liverpool & Arena - CLICK

Save Royal Iris - Sign Petition

Thank you so much for your quick reply and those links! I'll check them out later on.

Default Mersey cruse ships

Has anyone any web sites that list the timetables of cruise ships docking in Liverpool

Quote Originally Posted by tezmac View Post
    Has anyone any web sites that list the timetables of cruise ships docking in Liverpool
    Cruise Calendar

Looking forwards to the QE2's final visit on 3rd October

Blog Entries

LIVERPOOL?S latest flagship waterfront building was pushed through planning despite warnings it was at ?high risk of flooding?. Read
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Default Not just the terminal

Quote Originally Posted by Kev View Post
    LIVERPOOL?S latest flagship waterfront building was pushed through planning despite warnings it was at ?high risk of flooding?. Read
    Of course it's not just the new ferry terminal which is at risk of flooding. What about the new Liverpool Museum and other new structures built on the waterfront.

Blog Entries

, I thought that too. In fact the whole of the Pier Head!
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Blog Entries

22nd Feb 09

Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Blog Entries

MOTHER OF GOD THAT IS HORRIBLE! What a totally ugly, unimaginative building. It's a bloody 1960s concrete bunker of a box.

I pity the achitect, he has clearly spent too much time at the Le Corbousier exhibition.

I welcome the floods that thing could get.
    Gididi Gididi Goo.

Blog Entries

Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Blog Entries

Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

It really is a horrid looking building, although I guess it fits in well with the concrete canal extension.

I'm sure we'll grow to love it, just like the superlambanana. Can anyone say they didn't think WTF when they first saw that and now we'll defend it to anyone that doesn't think it's great

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast