Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New Mersey Ferry Terminal Building

Default New Mersey Ferry Terminal Building

New Mersey Ferry terminal unveiled
    Oct 30

EXCLUSIVE By Larry Neild, Daily

REVISED plans for a

new £10m Mersey Ferry terminal at Liverpool’s Pier Head as a lasting legacy to the city’s Capital of Culture year will be unveiled today.

But the

proposal for the 45ft-high, three-storey structure has come as a surprise to the owner of the popular Shanghai Palace Chinese restaurant, which occupies part

of the land needed for the development.

The restaurant will have to be demolished to make way for the new terminal, but owner Joe Farley says he has

not been told about the scheme.

Merseytravel has submitted plans for the new ferry terminal to Liverpool council’s planning

department.

Story continues...

A.D.Williams

And, yet, we still wait for the old sunk landing stage to be removed. The less said the

better!

Restaurant blocks

new ferry terminal

Oct 30 2006
    By Neil Hodgson, Liverpool Echo

PLANS for a new £10m Pier Head Mersey

ferry terminal were revealed today - and plunged straight into controversy.

The new three-storey terminal will provide better facilities for

passengers and could be ready by spring 2008.

But it requires the demolition of the neighbouring waterfront Shanghai Palace restaurant, whose owner

claims he has not been consulted.

Joe Farley has a long lease and says he has expansion plans of his

own.

Story continues...

scouserdave

Good luck to the Shanghai Palace restaurant. It may not look much from the

outside, but the views are cracking. It'll take fortunes (cookies?) to move the Shanghai Palace

[IMG]http

://www.liverpoolpictorial.co.uk/sp/image003.jpg[/IMG]

Thats how I like the sky in my day pictures.

Not too cloudy or too Grey in the sky. I like

clear blue sky too, otherwise I'll take none on any day I take any pictures.

Joe Farley? So an Irish surnamed person owns it eh.
    Gididi Gididi Goo.

Blog Entries

Planned ferry terminal 'a trashy tart in front of gently ageing Edwardian beauties'

THE man who complained to the World Heritage

Centre about high-rise building projects close to Liverpool's Pier Head last night condemned the latest plans for a new ferry terminal on the waterfront.

The scheme, exclusively revealed in yesterday's Daily Post, would see a three-storey building for the river ferry service.

But Wayne

Colquhoun of the Merseyside Preservation Trust has already alerted Unesco officials about the scheme.

Last night he said: "Right in front of our

three gently ageing Edwardian beauties they want to stick another trashy tart as if the current proposals for the Pier Head are not bad enough.

"If

someone had said to me you could design a building worse than the present terminal I would have laughed, but it's been done. In Liverpool when we put our

minds to it we can do the impossible, only it's the wrong direction. I urge anyone who cares for World Heritage to write to Unesco at 7 Rue de Fontonoy,

Paris.

"We need a public inquiry and a masterplan agreed by popular consensus not just nodded through by a handful of people without the class or

culture to be able to deliver what Liverpool needs to be a 21st century city on the world stage."
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Taken on a sunny day in November 2006.

Quote Originally Posted by Cissie Braithwaite View Post
    Taken on a sunny day in November 2006.

That's a nice pic Cissie.

Blog Entries

A NEW ferry terminal at Liverpool's world-famous Pier Head is being delayed as planning managers seek more details.

Last night, Wayne Colquhoun, chairman of Liverpool Preservation Trust, said the hitch should pave the way for a complete rethink of the £15m project to save the view of the majestic Three Graces.

Merseytravel have submitted plans for a three-storey building to replace the Mersey Ferry terminal built almost 30 years ago.

The scheme involves demolition of the terminal with its tented roof, as well as the adjoining Shanghai Palace Chinese restaurant.

The replacement building has already attracted comments from a city design panel, which quizzed why the building needed to be so high, and why a roof terrace faced away from the river.

Merseytravel submitted the scheme to Liverpool's planning department last month with the hope it would be put before the planning committee early in the New Year for a decision.

But the plan has now been invalidated at the request of the city planning manager Nigel Lee. He has called for supporting information about access to the proposed building as well as design issues.

When the project is restored to the planning process, a new consultation exercise will be launched.

Last night a city council spokesman said the invalidation process was being used to enable more information to be sought on conservation area matters. continues......
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Blog Entries

A PROPOSED new terminal for the Mersey ferries will impact on the Pier Head’s famous Three Graces, the country’s main heritage watchdog has said. more
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

same old stories once again, makes me angry Are we forever gonna be stuck in a victorian/edwardian city?

Libertarian

Can't see what the big deal is about the ferry terminal the new building looks very much like what is already there.

I also like the Shangy restaurant must be hard for them having to move and for what another concrete block filled with crappy gift shops selling pens and erasers?

Blog Entries

THE proposed ferry terminal at Liverpool Pier Head is bizarre, woefully inadequate, and resembles a doll’s house, the chairman of Merseyside Civic Society has warned. more
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Having read that the guy has a point or two. It would be great to have roof access so people can sit up there in the summer and have a meal while watching the ships go by.

I can't see why the ferry terminal has to be anything other than a single storey building for all it's going to be used for? I rather liked the 1970s effort where you could sit on a bench on the roof and it didn't obscure the line of impressive buildings behind.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast