Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: New Mersey Ferry Terminal Building

chippie

nice place Ormskirk, been there quite a few times, especially on market day.

Quote Originally Posted by kat2 View Post
    **, yes, the canal will go underground or rather a concrete tunnel will connect that section, should be nice when its finnished provided idiots dont throw things in and mess it up, *sighs* sad fact.
    all lit up at night it should look very impressive.
    kat
    I thought that when the Paradise Project started. But we can't not make the city look good just in case the scallies come and mess it up. The powers that be come up with enough reasons themselves not to

Default Bye Bye Ticket Office

Not long before its gone completely
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bye Bye Ticket Office 03331R.jpg 
Views:	329 
Size:	128.8 KB 
ID:	4162  

kat2

thanku, for the update Taffy, shouldnt take long before they start building the new one, has anyone seen pictures of the new landing stage for the ferry? the only ones i have seen are in the drawings above but it doesnt show very much.
    kat

kat2

demolition seems to be well underway now for the old ferry terminal
    kat

Blog Entries

THE final grant from Merseyside’s Objective 1 fund was last night awarded to help pay for Liverpool Pier Head’s new Mersey ferry terminal. Read
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

kat2

kat

Uh! I have seen those round trees before!

Currently Ignoring:
    The Door Bell
    The voices in my head

Blog Entries

BULLDOZERS have moved in to the Pier Head to make way for Liverpool’s new £10m ferry terminal. Read
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Quote Originally Posted by kat2 View Post

the new building looks quiet nice, it has a balcony too, hmm, wonders why its facing that way?
    kat
    I presume it`s because you always get a breeze coming off the river
    gregs dad

Blog Entries

12th April 2008 - Huge version (worth a view): Here

Last edited by Kev; 04-12-2008 at 07:12 PM.
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Quote Originally Posted by Kev View Post
    12th April 2008 - Click the image for the proper version: ...
    That's a great photograph Kev, thank you.

It's very nice that the rear of the building (away from the River) incorporates an open air patio that is sheltered from the rain.

I think it's also a great omission that the renovations do not include a glass canopy walkway from the Ferry Terminal to/from the new museum. So that one could walk between the two on rainy days that are not windswept without getting soaked.

I guess the good news is that such a structure can be added later when the need is apparent without too much extra cost. A simple walkway rain canopy/shelter need not be too intrusive - a single row of steel columns and glass or similar roofing material on cantilevers would do it. Mind you a few rain shelters with seats would have been nice - like the much photographed Victorian shelter at New Brighton.

Blog Entries

Cheers, here's a few more:

Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Just joioned this forum, and learned a lot about what has happened re the ferry terminla.
    From my own point of view, it did not need to be three storey, just to incorporate shops most likely.
    All that was needed was a one storey containing ticket booths,

I noticed mention of the old sunken landing stage not having been removed.
    I worked for Francis Mortons, of Garston, who were responsible for building the old steel pontoons and floating walkway bridges down to the pontoons, at all the Mersey ferry terminals, including the old New Brighton one.
    I cannot understand, as a Structural Engineer, why on earth they installed the new ones made of concrete. Had they been of steel and wrecked, as the concrete ones were wrecked, removal would have been a lot easier than the mangled concrete with reinforcing bars..
    Does anyone know what the new ones, if any, are constructed of.?
    I once had a floating landing stage and support booms to design for Heysham Harbour, and we used a Mulberry Harbour pontoon that Francis Mortons manufactured during WW2. They, of course, were built of steel.

Quote Originally Posted by Louis View Post
    same old stories once again, makes me angry Are we forever gonna be stuck in a victorian/edwardian city?
    If I as an outsider/visitor may add my comment/view on all these recent changes:

1. As I said in my reply to Waterways in the Mann Island thread, of course I'll be happy for you Scousers if these changes make you happy and if this really is what you want. I love the city and its people and therefore only wish them all the very best - and after all, it's your city and you have to live in it.

2. However, being an "outsider" and frequent visitor to the city, of course I also have my own views on these changes, even more so after reading all these posts and seeing all these pictures. Before joining this (GREAT) forum, I wasn't really aware of what's going on. I had only read about Liverpool One and the new Museum of Liverpool but didn't know the full details.

3. Of course, I don't mind Liverpool getting a new and/or bigger and better museum, a new hotel etc. here and there; innovations and improvements like these are inevitable, necessary and an important aspect of improving life in a city. Neither do I mind the odd high-rise building and/or skyscraper here or there; there already are a few in Liverpool.

However, I'm neither too fond of the design of the new Museum of Liverpool nor of the proposals for the Central Village. If there are modern (high-rise) buildings or skyscrapers to be erected, they should be placed within the city centre in such a way that they don't contrast/conflict with the traditional architecture too much. With regard to the new buildings at Pier Head/on Mann Island, why not design them in such a way that they match the design and character of the buildings already present (in particular the Three Graces - and graces they are indeed) to make them fit in with the general cosy and charming atmosphere in this area? The same goes for the inner-city area around Bold Street.

Some of the planned designs look great to me, such as the extended canal at Pier Head, the new Chavasse Park and the canal on/near Bold Street. Modern buildings could easily be designed to make them fit in with the existing architecture.

Do you really want the major part of Liverpool to be transformed into a futuristic city made of glass, concrete and steel? Buildings made of these three materials are to be found everywhere nowadays, just visit the pedestrian precinct in any Continental city and you'll find this type of architecture, making most cities look more or less the same, apart from a few older buildings left.

To me as a visitor, Liverpool has always looked beautiful and perfect to me. What I've always loved most about it (apart from its wonderful people) is its unique blend of the rich and vibrant cultural life of a big city and its cosy atmosphere, created by the charm of its old buildings and the flair of its streets. If you complain about all of your Edwardian/Georgian/Victorian buildings, please bear in my mind that this is a special heritage which not all cities or countries have.

You, the people of Liverpool, probably have no say in these changes anyway; in your city, it's probably the same as everywhere - the people themselves have no say in what affects them the most.

Please don't get me wrong, I don't want to spoil anybody's excitement, anticipation or happiness about these changes. I'm as interested as anyone to see where Liverpool is heading and what it will look like in the near future and I find these changes very exciting, too. I'd just like to point out to you what a wonderful and unique heritage you have and that some of it may be worthwhile preserving - once it's gone, you may miss it more than you can imagine now.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast