Thread: A picture worth a thousand words!

Blog Entries

Default A picture worth a thousand words!

Occasionally I post a photograph that really does not need too much text. The year is 1910 and seven boys are lined up for the photographer (there is an eighth boy half-hidden behind them). This is at the height of Liverpool’s prosperity. The Port of Liverpool building had just opened, the Cathedral was underway and [...]
    More...

Two or all three? of those boys picture in the photie you posted a while back,Collin,musta been on the same day they where both taken?

"Three barefoot boys sitting on a bridge spanning the Leeds-Liverpool Canal!" was your headline I think?

Blog Entries

They are the same boys - there is a sequence of five photographs in the same location.

Colin. Thank You.

The shot accurately portrays the innocence of youth. There they are impoverished in an unjust society yet they all stand there enjoying the novelty of somebody wishing to take their photograph and smiling away at the camera,as if they hadn,t a care in the world.............great Picture !

collegepudding

I don't want to be contentious but have you noticed they have all been to the barbers and have had a haircut, not just the shaved head with your dad's razor or the basin cut by your mum with a dodgy pair of scissors but a professional haircut, the other thing is their feet are remarkably clean.What do you think on taking a scond look?

Well,Doris....can't comment on their haircut but what I do know is they have prolly been swimming or paddling in the cut(Leeds&Liverpool Canal) as this is where the pics where taken.

Hi Doris, of course you are perfectly correct in your observations, there is another such example on the front cover of Colin s book Liverpool characters and Streets , where they are seated around The Steble Fountain, .I think These type of shots ,along with many other of that period ,tend to have been neatly stage managed by the photographer, and in those times, due to the novelty of it, the participants would be more than happy to oblige...maybe they even got a Penny or two for the efforts, I hope so !

...Georgie.P. Have you swapped over to the relative safety of night shift.....

collegepudding

On first glance I was a bit suspicious of the ragged pants - that was the first thing I noticed - - some a bit too shredded as if they set up has been staged.
    Of course there really were poor kids wearing old clothes in those days, but the pants just look a bit over exaggerated to me
    Must admit I didn't notice the hair or feet - but yes, maybe the hair looks a bit too clean !

Good photo though.

---------- Post added at 01:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:25 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by collegepudding View Post
    ..maybe they even got a Penny or two for the efforts, I hope so !
    collegepudding

I hope so too.