Thread: Unfair

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Unfair

Reading the threads about what school etc brings back to me one of the greatest injustices that I still carry the resentment with me through life.

How come we boys got caned and slippered and the girls didn't?

And they still managed to cry about just being told off

Unfair or what!!

John(Zappa)

Quote Originally Posted by Georgec View Post
    Reading the threads about what school etc brings back to me one of the greatest injustices that I still carry the resentment with me through life.

Unfair or what!!
    I got the cane every single day in 3rd year juniors.The cane was called "Ethel".She hurt but done no harm whatsoever.Am still as crazy

chippie

our punishment was called the" board of education" a three by five piece of wood with a handle.

It stung like hell on our bums, but, if we were really naughty, we got two stokes of the cane on the fingers, yak.

Cadfael

We got a wooden metre stick across the back of our bare legs in school. It did me no harm and taught me a lesson. Perhaps if punishment like this was brought back, you'd think twice about doing something. Hurt like hell and you couldn't sit down.

I recently met the same teacher that did that on numerous occasions and shook his hand and thanked him for teaching me a lesson I wouldn't break again in a hurry.

Take your pick at St. Greg's, Everton. Well, the teachers got to pick, not us.

The cane (hand or backside), the pump (as in trainer, not bike pump ), the ruler across your knuckles, the wooden blackboard duster or chalk thrown at you at 90mph.

It was just accepted back then and never challenged, you wouldn't get parents coming up the school unless they were summoned by the Education Committee. You'd keep it from them if anything as being punished generally meant you'd done something wrong and if some parents of some kids fopund out they'd probably give them some further firm measures. You wouldn't dare bring shame to the front door - oh how it's all changed with 'knowledge'. Sometimes it was better living in the dark ages.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

I attended S F X college on shaw st,after winning a scholarship from
    St. Johns in kirkdale. In St Johns we a bamboo cane for punishment
    which had a burnt end due to teachers burning the loose bits off after a period of use. In S F X we had a thing called a ferrula which was a 13"long
    leather strap with supposedly a piece of whale bone in it. the teachers
    never used it themselves but gave you a bill (a piece of paper with what you had done wrong, and how many lashes you had to recieve).this you took to the gym office at the end of the day or your dinner time,and a Jesuit brother would administer your punishment. There was always a
    few lads waiting there so it was like waiting for a dentist.
    gregs dad

Quote Originally Posted by Georgec View Post

Unfair or what!!
    Errr-who didn't.We CERTANLY got the slipper and it hurt. Or was it just me?

Blog Entries

Default Corporal Punishment

As one who suffered the "mystery tour" in Heath Road Secondary Modern during the early 50's,I feel I might throw in my twopennyworth here.
    The cane hurt,not just physically,but mentally too.To be punished in front of the whole school,and not show fear,was a rare thing.I never saw a boy who did'nt flinch when that cane came swooshing down to his fingertips,nor did I ever see a boy walk away smirking.The one or two that tried to act macho were beaten even more severely.The consequence of this violence was fear,a fear of those in authority.The teachers had a job to do ,and to do it succesfully they needed order,we were not docile children,we were boisterous and rebellious.They had to impose their will upon the hard "men",the sawdust ceasars,the bullies,and by god they did too.
    No one was exempt from their rules,we saw bullies reduced to whimpering,tearfilled cowards as they were beaten by those masters.Yes,they were called masters because we were made to understand that they ruled us.Pupils who wanted to learn could do so without having to defer to bullies,classrooms were places of learning instead of riotous assemblies.When the liberal freethinkers forced the ending of corporal punishment,they started society on a journey that has led to moral decay.
    Children are taught about their rights,but not about their responsibilities.
    "Rights" should be earned,not bestowed willy nilly.Children should be taught about civic responsibilities,respect for elders and obedience to those who are charged with their education.If we are to regain the moral high ground we must ensure that those who we entrust with our childrens education are given our support to bring about change in the future course of childrens lives.
    Climate change is a hot subject at the moment,lets put moral change at the top of our agenda,if we do, I'm sure it will bear fruit.
    Roger Rant alias BrianD

Libertarian

Physically assaulting children is akin to Child abuse if that is moral change I would rather have things the way they are