Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dale Street

Libertarian

Default Dale Street

What do people think of Dale Street?

It has some of the best Victorian architecture in the UK but personally I think it is a moribund street.

Would it benefit from a revamp? Trees perhaps?

The lower end by Hatton garden has the magnificent Municipal Buildings but over the road are boarded up terraces and the tatty row by Jamaica House.

Further up the road the old Insurance building lies empty and would look great done up.

I also would love to see State House demolished and that corner with North john Street redeveloped.

Need to sort out the bits you mentioned. Think having trees would cut out the view of the town hall if looking towards it.

Vernon Arms needs to be sorted out as well, as the owners who closed it have done bugger all with it (think they got refused permission to do whatever with it)

Blog Entries

I love the history of Dale Street, one of Liverpool's original seven streets
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Quote Originally Posted by Suburban View Post

It has some of the best Victorian architecture in the UK but personally I think it is a moribund st,
    I'm just pleased to see someone apart from me use the word Moribund.
    I get horripilation when I see the language abused.
    You can always count on Americans to do the right thing - after they've tried everything else.
    Winston Churchill

Libertarian

Plain english was 'invented' by a woman from Toxteth. Don't always use it myself though been described as long winded on more than one occasion!!

I have memories of Parades along Dale Street from the Town Hall to Lime Street and St Georges Plateau.
    The pavements of Dale Street were thronged with people, balconies of the buildings full of bunting and "ticker tape" style paper being thrown down on us. We also had 'scallies' them days, with bags of flower being thrown down on us. It was all taken in good fun though.
    It must have been sometime around VE day because I remember Army tanks, Barrage ballons, along with men from all three services lined up on outside St Georges Hall.
    Am I alone with these memories or was anyone else there who remembers ??

Phredd
    In the days when we had nothing we had fun.
    If tomorrow starts without me, remember I was here.

Quote Originally Posted by Suburban View Post
    Plain english was 'invented' by a woman from Toxteth. Don't always use it myself though been described as long winded on more than one occasion!!
    Suburban,
    If you are referring to the woman who had the gobbledegook taken out of govt. forms and replaced with plain English she was from Tuebrook, her name is Chrissy Maher, she started years ago when I lived in Tuebrook by starting a local rag called the bugle,
    Google her, she has traveled the world lecturing and had many awards for her efforts, she is an interesting subject, check her out. I'm not sure if she is still alive, she would be very old if she is. She is older than me and I'm ancient.
    You can always count on Americans to do the right thing - after they've tried everything else.
    Winston Churchill

Libertarian

oh thanks for the info--cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by shytalk View Post
    I'm just pleased to see someone apart from me use the word Moribund.
    I get horripilation when I see the language abused.
    ha,ha, I had to get my dictionary out for this one Shytalk - - it means, hair standing on end as in goosebumps

Quote Originally Posted by Libertarian View Post

It has some of the best Victorian architecture in the UK but personally I think it is a moribund street.

Would it benefit from a revamp? Trees perhaps?

The lower end by Hatton garden has the magnificent Municipal Buildings but over the road are boarded up terraces and the tatty row by Jamaica House.

Further up the road the old Insurance building lies empty and would look great done up.

I also would love to see State House demolished and that corner with North john Street redeveloped.

can agree that those bits need improving.

Not sure about the trees though. I can't envisage trees in Dale st.

Blog Entries

Exclamation Jamaica House

ONE of Liverpool’s most historic warehouses is to be demolished after being declared unsafe.

Jamaica House, a white rendered building on the corner of Dale Street and Vernon Street, is likely to be knocked down in the next few days after its condition deteriorated to a dangerous extent.

Liverpool council says it has made several attempts to save the building, but its owners claim bureaucracy has made it impossible for them to carry out any work.

A Dangerous Structures Notice under the Building Act was served on the current owners, Mr and Mrs Colin Walker, of Ormskirk, and Paul Harrison, of St Helens, who acquired the building in 2004.

Built around 1800 as a warehouse for wines and spirits at the time of a road widening scheme for Dale Street, it is one of only a handful of surviving Georgian buildings on the street. It is also one of the earliest surviving purpose-built warehouses in the city.

By 1845, it had become the premises for German clock and watch makers Selb and Morath, later becoming Morath Brothers Jewellers, who continued to occupy the building into the 1950s.

The building was included in the council’s heritage grant programme, but a possible offer of grant funding for repairs was not taken up.

During the past month, urgent works powers by the council were abandoned after conservation engineers from English Heritage and the council concluded the building had become too unsafe to work in and too unstable to prop up.

Cllr Berni Turner, executive member environment and heritage, said: “This is a very disappointing outcome for this building, and one which we made every effort to avoid.

“We wanted to preserve this building, but the responsibility for its condition rested with its owners, who steadfastly refused to maintain it to the standards it deserved, and allowed it to deteriorate to the point were it was not safe.

“A piece of Liverpool’s heritage is going because of the failure of owners to face up to their responsibilities.

“It also highlights the fact that councils should be given greater powers and more resources to intervene in cases of significant buildings which are not listed but are at risk.”

However, co-owner Colin Walker claims they have made every effort to try and save the building. He said: “We bought the building because we were told we could get grant funding. However, the way it is allocated means the value of the finished building would be £200,000 less than we had spent on it – this is just not viable.

“We have tried to sort out the issues and have been negotiating since we bought the building, but to no avail.

“We could still be out of pocket, but do own the freehold, so may build a new sympathetic structure, in keeping with the conservation area.”

lizawilliams - Liverpool Echo
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

PhilipG

This "Dangerous Structure" excuse is used far too often, in order to demolish a historic building.
    Couldn't it have been Compulsory Purchased by the Council?

Cadfael

Another building bites the dust and it's feet away from the Council offices. We really are the laughing stock of the world when it comes to saving buildings. A historic landmark going either to make way for a new shop or perhaps the person in charge of looking after this building was too busy trying to buy new kerb stones to make our city look good

I went to Dale St. nearly every day many years ago to visit Moore & Sons
    camera shop to buy my film,paper and chemicals during my lunch break.
    I bought a couple of second hand cameras off them. They would let me try
    them out for a few days before buying.There was no hire purchase signed
    they just gave me a club card and I paid £1 a week. It was next door but
    one to the police station, it`s now a sandwich bar. That was in the 60`s
    and I still have the cameras in working order.

gregs dad
    my flickr site; http://www.flickr.com/photos/exacta2a/

Cadfael

Anyone got a picture of the actual building? I'll need to pray that it's still standing by Monday so I can snap it!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast