Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Dale Street

Jamaica House was still there tonight, among several derelict/for sale properties. It's not surrounded by any hoardings yet.

Any pics of Jamaica House, can't picture it in my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by AntiPathos View Post
    Any pics of Jamaica House, can't picture it in my mind.
    Monday 3rd December 2007.

Last edited by A.D.W; 12-03-2007 at 03:49 PM.

Cadfael

I took one look at the rain and thought 'not a chance' - not the prettiest of buildings I'll grant you and probably wouldn't have noticed it if it wasn't for the press.

Quote Originally Posted by Cadfael View Post
    I took one look at the rain and thought 'not a chance' - not the prettiest of buildings I'll grant you and probably wouldn't have noticed it if it wasn't for the press.
    Chicken!

Hey ADW - has one of your pics, a close up of the door on the corner disappeared - where's that Tom Slemen when you need him?
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Quote Originally Posted by Ged View Post
    Hey ADW - has one of your pics, a close up of the door on the corner disappeared - where's that Tom Slemen when you need him?

www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

PhilipG

It doesn't look anything like a warehouse to me, which the building next door obviously was, and the next block - with 3 storeys - are older.

Last edited by PhilipG; 12-03-2007 at 06:31 PM.

Cadfael

The same building as viewed from the Municiple Buildings Tower:

^^^^

Those windows need a good clean!!

Default Another historic building lost

I'm really sad to hear this building is to be demolished. My interest is that I've recently thought I'd like to buy an antique clock with a Liverpool connection and noticed on websites that Morath Brothers were a leading Liverpool clockmaker and retailer for many decades - they were based in this building. If you put Morath and "clock" into Google you'll find loads of old clocks, including some splendid antiques. I think they were German brothers who imported most of their clocks. I knew they were based at 71 Dale St and recently wandered down to look at it. It's in a sorry state, as the photos show, although if you look carefully at the side wall (on Vernon St) you can still dimly see - through the plaster - a painted sign saying something like "Clock and Watchmakers etc". Imagine what it must have been like inside that building in say 1900 when it was a leading clock dealer... A bit of the city's history is about to disappear.

About a third of Jamaica House had been demolished, when I passed it this morning.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonty View Post
    I'm really sad to hear this building is to be demolished. My interest is that I've recently thought I'd like to buy an antique clock with a Liverpool connection and noticed on websites that Morath Brothers were a leading Liverpool clockmaker and retailer for many decades - they were based in this building. If you put Morath and "clock" into Google you'll find loads of old clocks, including some splendid antiques. I think they were German brothers who imported most of their clocks. I knew they were based at 71 Dale St and recently wandered down to look at it. It's in a sorry state, as the photos show, although if you look carefully at the side wall (on Vernon St) you can still dimly see - through the plaster - a painted sign saying something like "Clock and Watchmakers etc". Imagine what it must have been like inside that building in say 1900 when it was a leading clock dealer... A bit of the city's history is about to disappear.
    Hi Jonty

I am also sorry to hear about this demolition.

It could be that this part of town had a number of clock or watch makers at one time, as like trades often congregated in certain sections of towns in earlier centuries. John Wyke (1729-1787), who gave his name to Wyke's Court, had property where the Magistrate's Court is now located on Dale Street, and a historical marker records that fact (see below; the back of this building, the former bridewell, can be seen in one of Cadfael's shots from the tower of Municipal Buildings). Wyke, a watch and clock toolmaker in Liverpool and Prescot, was the first English manufacturer to produce an illustrated catalogue of his wares.

Chris

Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist
    Editor, Loch Raven Review
    http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/
    Chris on Flickr and on MySpace

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast