Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Subterranean Dungeons under Ma Boyle's?

Cadfael

The one thing I didn't know when visiting the church for a meeting a couple of weeks ago is that St Nick's has an underground series of rooms for toilet facilities and the like. There was no one to ask whether this was created since the church was virtually flattened or there had always been an underground section to the church. I'll have to contact a few bods and try and find out.

Quote Originally Posted by Cadfael View Post
    The one thing I didn't know when visiting the church for a meeting a couple of weeks ago is that St Nick's has an underground series of rooms for toilet facilities and the like. There was no one to ask whether this was created since the church was virtually flattened or there had always been an underground section to the church. I'll have to contact a few bods and try and find out.

if its toilets consult the council as sewrage usually has to run down hill and i'm sure records of drains / sewerage from underground chambers lead to the official council sewrage system

Waste from the church will drain into the main interceptor sewer under the dock road. However, even if you could find out when the connecting pipes were added from the church, it wouldn't tell you much about the history of the rooms down there. Sewerage in that area is now owned/maintained by United Utilities, so if you want to investigate further that might be a possible line of enquiry.

Cadfael

One of the biggest things I hate in general - through no fault of it's own, is that Liverpool has lots of underground places but it is the people that know about them yet aren't really bothered about them.

What I mean is that we all have our interests in life, what I like, the next person on the street won't.
    You are sure to bet that there are people all over liverpool who know about underground places that most people don't and have never brought it up because they've never thought there would be an interest - 'who would be interested in a smelly old tunnel'?

I remember take some people around on a tour of the Williamson's Tunnels a couple of years ago and there was one old spritely lass who had more energy than me despite being about 80. She turned around and said - like she was discussing the soaps - 'Oh the whole of Liverpool is full of tunnels, my mother used to get from one side of London Road right up to by the Adelphi by a trap door in someone's basement - it cut out a long walk when it was raining'!! And you stand there thinking that you've just heard the meaning of life!

Quote Originally Posted by Cadfael View Post
    One of the biggest things I hate in general - through no fault of it's own, is that Liverpool has lots of underground places but it is the people that know about them yet aren't really bothered about them.

What I mean is that we all have our interests in life, what I like, the next person on the street won't.
    You are sure to bet that there are people all over liverpool who know about underground places that most people don't and have never brought it up because they've never thought there would be an interest - 'who would be interested in a smelly old tunnel'?

I remember take some people around on a tour of the Williamson's Tunnels a couple of years ago and there was one old spritely lass who had more energy than me despite being about 80. She turned around and said - like she was discussing the soaps - 'Oh the whole of Liverpool is full of tunnels, my mother used to get from one side of London Road right up to by the Adelphi by a trap door in someone's basement - it cut out a long walk when it was raining'!! And you stand there thinking that you've just heard the meaning of life!
    kind of like know what you mean as being a builder I will open up an old wall and in it will be an old bottle of beer / lemonade , or newsparer left by the builders from the day it was built, i will read it thru and thru incl the adverts etc.. to other people it is just an old paper but to me it is a time capsule of the day the place was built ,i found the pics of the old level of lewis untouched in a previous thread quite interesting too,

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12