YO! Liverpool
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Subterranean Dungeons under Ma Boyle's?

Thanks

Default Subterranean Dungeons under Ma Boyle's?

I was in (I think it's) Ma Boyles Inn by the Sailors Church. The pub's then landlord told me that underneath were the dungeons which at one time housed French POWs from the Napoleonic era. He said everything was just as it was when it was closed. The shelves upon which they slept, their grafitti on the walls, eating utensils, tables; the lot.
    He added that there were tunnels underneath through which one could walk at least to the Pig and Whistle pub.
    It seemed to add up because I think it was there, that beautiful white building facing the Strand, where Liverpool's original castle or fort stood.
    I asked why it wasn't 'opened' as a tourist attraction. It was a money spinner. He said because of its connotations to the slave trade it would be politically incorrect. Just repeating what he told me. Don't shoot the messenger.

ADVERTISING

War is the terrorism of the rich... Terrorism is the war of the poor. - Peter Ustinov

Cadfael

I used to drink in this pub every Friday night for years and never heard this story at all, even when I told the landlord of my interest in the Williamson Tunnels.

I'm not knocking your story in the slightest though But as the crow flies from Ma Boyles to the Pig, it would have to pass by very close to the foundations of St Nicks - which was heavily bombed as you know.

I'll have to go back to my old haunt and get in to conversation with him again

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Dungeons are a fascinating subject
    YO! Liverpool has taken me 10 years to develop and maintain.
    If you like the website, please
    donate via PayPal!

Thank you

PhilipG

Default Liverpool Tower.

It's news to me as well.
    However, I can understand how the rumour might have been started.
    The Tower Buildings are on the site of the Liverpool Tower which was built in the 13th century.
    It later became a gaol.
    However, two large buildings have since been built on the site, so the foundations and cellars of those would almost certainly have wiped out any dungeons (if they ever existed).
    Below are some facts and dates taken from the "Annals of Liverpool".

Tower built before 1296.
    It is probable that Sir John Stanley either enlarged or entirely rebuilt the Tower in 1406.
    The Tower leased by the Corporation from Thomas Clayton in 1737, who had purchased it from the Earl of Derby. Used as the town gaol until 1819, when it was demolished.
    The Tower (aka the Gaol) and the adjoining house, bought by the Corporation for 1,535 from Sir Richard Clayton. 10 Nov 1775.
    The materials of the Tower, with those of an adjoining house were sold for 200 on 8 December 1819.
    Tower pulled down in March 1820.
    Tower Buildings, Old Church Yard. First stone laid 4 December 1846. Architect: J A Picton.
    Tower Buildings, Old Church Yard. Demolished May 1907.
    Tower Buildings, Pier Head. Completed 1908. Architect: W Aubrey Thomas.

Thanks

May have been a little romantic embroidery by the landlord but he did say he had been down there and spoke in first hand terms. Just strolled into town via Mount Pleasant earlier.
    One of the buildings (though they all seem to be of similar period) has the date 1822 on it. Wow! That is old. Got me wondering how many other buildings in and around the city centre are as old or older. I seem to recall the oldest being the restaurant on the right walking up out of town. Apparently those high, narrow Hanseatic buildings (Central Pub) opposite Central Station were built by German seafarers so were built in the northern German style.
    A couple of years ago I had reason to call at Behr Behrend (Shipping) Agency in India Buildings. Awesome history. One feature was what they call 'The Captains Room.'
    It was a beautiful wood-panelled room not much bigger than a ship's cabin and very much in that style. Around the walls pictures of the aristocracy of Scandinavia, many of whom had personally visited. I think he said it doubled as a consulate. Kings, queens, the great and the good.
    The room was there for the exclusive use of ships captains to do their shore work in peace; relax, entertain; get away from the madding crowd. Fascinating. Nothing has been changed at all.
    War is the terrorism of the rich... Terrorism is the war of the poor. - Peter Ustinov

Cadfael

Well I've got my Underground Liverpool business cards printed up so I'll take one along and see what I can find out. Interesting as the basement of Ma Boyles is under the street and indeed under the church yard of St Nicks.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast