Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: St. George's Hall

Gerard

Brilliant pics Kev...
    I saw Steve Davis play Terry Griffiths in the Georges Hall.

Gerard, I believe Terry Griffiths has only just returned to the table for the second frame

Fantastic pics, Kev! Never been inside. Would like to do so one day.

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist
    Editor, Loch Raven Review
    http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/
    Chris on Flickr and on MySpace

scouserdave

Cracking pics Kev. The Friends of St George's Hall have contacted me recently about building a website for them, so hopefully I'll have access to photo all the nooks and crannies of the place

Blog Entries

Thanks for the kind comments - the place blew me away totally, the size of the organ pipes, huge. The place is like a palace. The concert hall we were in played host to Charles D!ickens many times I believe.

..and the fire alarm went off half way through the presentation

Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

I've been in there loads of times over the years. it's been open to the public many times. I've also been on a tour of the former law courts, the cells in the basement, and I've seen behind the back of the organ - the pipes are massive and the biggest ones you can stand inside !
    The gorgeous tiled floor is uncovered from time to time for display to the public. It's definately worth seeing.
    St Georges Hall is fantastic.

Fabulous photos Kev.

I was in their during the Biennial and was blown away. The inside is just as OMG as the outside. Its an amazing building.

Default st georges hall

can anyone tell me was the hall built the wrong way round?

Its an urban myth.
    The hall was built facing on to the original classical frontage of Lime street station. There was also a church on the St John's garden's side (st John's church!!) which was there for a number of years after the hall was built. However, I think if the hall would have faced the other way without the church being there, it would be spectacular

theninesisters

Default St George's Hall

Just heard that Prince Charles will be opening St George's Hall on 23rd April!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jona76 View Post
    Just heard that Prince Charles will be opening St George's Hall on 23rd April!
    Mike Storey let that one slip a while ago , although he never mentioned names he did hint strongly.

Cool
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

theninesisters

You KNOW snappel will be roping up the Wellington Statue and sitting there with his Pot Noodle to get the best shots

Gerard

Quote Originally Posted by Jona76 View Post
    You KNOW snappel will be roping up the Wellington Statue and sitting there with his Pot Noodle to get the best shots
    Just Been talking to My Lad 2 minutes ago about the Photo I've just put On.
    He has Just told me that in 94 he and a Mate were passing the Column and it was open so he came home and got my Maglite and they went up the Column.
    Seen another of his mates Below sand shouted him up..
    Next thing theres about 15 of them up there..
    Cant really have a go at him now can I when He's 27 !!..Besides..I did it Myself about 5 Times..
    Wouldn't go up there Now Though..Snappel would be made up up there.

I have heard that Speke Hall is also on HRH's list of visits for that day.

Munchkim

Default St. George's Hall re-opening.

For Immediate Release

HISTORIC RE-OPENING ENLIGHTENS LIVERPOOL

The grand re-opening of one of Europe’s finest civic buildings will be marked by the UK’s largest, outdoor sound and light show this year.

Liverpool will celebrate the £23m restoration of its neo-classical masterpiece - St George’s Hall – by hosting twice-nightly Son et Lumiere displays recounting the city’s past 800 years.

Devised by the Liverpool Culture Company and Ross Ashton, who lit up Buckingham Palace for the Queen’s Jubilee and 80th birthday, the 30-minute showcase will project on to the rear of the Grade I-listed building. Audiences can see it from a special 500-seater, tiered grandstand in St John’s Gardens.

Tickets for the unique audio-visual spectacle, which runs from April 23-29, go on sale today from 3pm, Thursday, April 5 (ticket details see Notes to Editors).

After a massive, five-year makeover to a leaking roof, crumbling walls and rotten fittings as well as the installation of several new features, the re-opening on St George’s Day – April 23 – is one of the highlights of Liverpool’s 800th birthday celebrations. It will be marked by a series of other spectacular events, including:

The rarely seen, 30,000-piece hand-crafted Minton tiled floor in the Great Hall will be on display for the first time this century. Last unveiled in 1997, it will be on show from 10am to 8.30pm every day until Sunday, April 29.
    A series of concerts by Liverpool musicians, such as the 2006 BBC Young Musician and Composer of the Year Mark Simpson, in St George’s Concert Room.
    A new work of art interpreting the city's coat of arms by the acclaimed Singh Twins.
    A new sculpture of St George slaying the dragon with a Liver Bird rising as a phoenix.

First opened in 1854, St George’s Hall was the result of two design competitions for a civic and court venue, both won by architect Harvey Lonsdale Elmes for his 'Acropolis-like' vision. Queen Victoria described it as ‘worthy of ancient Athens’. Fitted with the world’s first modern-air conditioning system and largest piped organ at the time, it hosted famous cultural events such as Charles Dickens’ world premiere reading of The Christmas Carol.

The courts closed in 1984 and only the Great Hall has been in use since. The building, however, has become a symbol for the city, as a focal point for everything from remembrance services to football cup parades and rallies to vigils - most notably the death of John Lennon in 1980.

From April 23 the building, which lies at the heart of Liverpool’s Cultural Quarter and World Heritage site, will feature:

New Heritage Centre with innovative public tours called Truth and Justice; Power and Glory.
    New street level access at South Entrance from St John's Lane.
    Upgraded courts, Judge's robing room and prison cells - on show for the first time.
    New community exhibition centre – available for hire to societies and groups.
    St George’s Concert Room restored to original finishes and new 450-seat capacity.

The Heritage Centre tours will be self-guided, powered by hand-held digital devices, and tell the story of the building, its role as a cultural venue and as a Crown Court – having held famous trials such as the Cameo murder case, ‘the man the from the Pru’ and Florence Maybrick, wife of chief Jack the Ripper suspect James Maybrick.

Councillor Warren Bradley, Leader of Liverpool City Council, said: ‘’The restoration of St George's Hall has provided Liverpool with its greatest 800th birthday present. It has been our sleeping giant – and its potential is finally being fulfilled. It now looks as good as the day it first opened and this new lease of life is a potent symbol of Liverpool’s renaissance. The re-opening signals an exciting new chapter in the building and city's history.’’

Councillor Joe Anderson, Leader of the Opposition, said: ‘’Working in education, one of the great memories I have of St George’s Hall is the look of awe on the kids’ faces when they went inside. I’m delighted it is going to be more accessible – and with our 800th birthday and 2008 on the horizon the timing could not be better. The visitor and exhibition centre will make it a building for the people – and I’ve no doubt they too will be in awe when they see how much beauty and history can be in one place.’’

Graham Boxer, Head of Heritage at the Liverpool Culture Company, said: ‘’Liverpool is very lucky to have a stunning concert venue, heritage centre and community exhibition centre all rolled into one magnificent building. St George’s Hall is a show-stopper, worthy of a Capital of Culture, and its re-opening deserves nothing less than a week of stunning celebrations. Events like the Son et Lumiere displays give new life to this unique visitor attraction.’’

Liverpool celebrates the 800th anniversary of the granting of its first royal charter by King John on Tuesday, August 28. For details log on liverpool08.com/Events/ThemedYears/2007

ENDS

NOTES TO EDITORS:

The Liverpool 800 Son et Lumiere will be at 8.30pm and 9.30pm from Monday to Sunday, April 23-29. Tickets - £1.50 for concessions, £3.00 for adults. A family ticket for two adults and two u-12s at £7. On sale from 3pm, Thursday 5th April at the 08 Place, Whitechapel or by calling 0151 233 2008. A box office will be on site from 6pm each evening. It is recommended that tickets are bought in advance to avoid disappointment.

Visualisations of the Liverpool 800 Son et Lumiere on St George's Hall can be e-mailed for free on request.

St George’s Concert Room public performances April 24-28: Tues - Joanna MacGregor; Thurs - Mark Simpson; Fri – Rodewald Concert Society; Sat – Milapfest. For details please go to liverpool08.com

The restoration of St George's Hall was led by the architects Purcell, Miller and Tritton. The project was funded by the Heritage Lottery Fund, European Regional Development Fund, The Trustees of St George's Hall and Liverpool City Council.

As well as major external and internal repairs to the stonework, plumbing and electrics the restoration of St George’s Hall included intricate hand painted decorative and plaster work. For example a total of 300m sq of gold leaf was used, the equivalent of two tennis courts if laid flat. Free images depicting the restoration can be e-mailed for free on request.

For further information please call Mike Doran on 0151 233 6761 or 0780 145 3918. For latest news on Liverpool, European Capital of Culture 2008 please visit liverpool08.com
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast