Thread: World war 2 Burial curiosity

Default World war 2 Burial curiosity

Hi Guys,
    Recently i have been wondering about the may blitz, what i have heard so far with regards to the blitz was terrifying, but one thing that i cant stop wondering is wether or not any sold who died as a result of a direct hit were left there and not exhumed, i was once told that there were still bodies under st lukes shurch, but i have later found out that the crypt has been accessable recently and no bodies have been found, also apparently there are still some souls under the old blacklers and in hornby lane (there were public toilets under the road which took a hit), would anyone happen to know of any such unmarked graves, as i would like to knock together a list of placemarks for google earth for people to see.
    kind Regards
    Maurice

Hoya moe. This is one such case where I'd been told by more than 1 person that somer bodies were never recovered but an account of the rescue is on there but makes no mention of it. In any case, this is a fantastic website dedicated to the people of Liverpool during our darkest hour.

http://liverpoolremembrance.weebly.c...k-shelter.html
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Quote Originally Posted by moe View Post
    Hi Guys,
    Recently i have been wondering about the may blitz, what i have heard so far with regards to the blitz was terrifying, but one thing that i cant stop wondering is wether or not any sold who died as a result of a direct hit were left there and not exhumed, i was once told that there were still bodies under st lukes shurch, but i have later found out that the crypt has been accessable recently and no bodies have been found, also apparently there are still some souls under the old blacklers and in hornby lane (there were public toilets under the road which took a hit), would anyone happen to know of any such unmarked graves, as i would like to knock together a list of placemarks for google earth for people to see.
    kind Regards
    Maurice
    Our good friend Cadfael can comment upon the rumor that St. Luke's church might contain bodies of people killed when the church was bombed in the Blitz, but personally I find it unlikely that anyone would have been in the church at the time it was bombed.

All the best

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist
    Editor, Loch Raven Review
    http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/
    Chris on Flickr and on MySpace

Hi Moe

Cadfael's website link to bombing http://www.stlukeliverpool.co.uk/#/t...ion/4551084932

St Luke's was hit just after midnight. I dont think anyone died during the bombing.

They would bring in soldiers/workers to lime over any area where bodies may not have been recovered, then the area would be sealed. Most times it was in underground shelters or basements.

Off the top of my head I know reported places lime over where....
    Durning road shelter
    Rocket shelter
    Blackstock Gardens
    Mill Road Hospital
    Bentinck street ( under railway arches )
    Co-op shelter, Stanley road, Bootle

http://liverpoolremembrance.weebly.com/index.html

They are all mentioned here ( left hand side )

There will be more.
    BE NICE......................OR ELSE

Local authorities at the time would not publicise the fact that not all victims of the bombings were recovered,There were rumors that many a coffin was filled with sandbags as there was no bodies or even parts found that could be safetly be recovered for burial.

In Anfield there is a grave containing sand
    and another one with just an arm. The civilian
    mass grave contains 500 odd not all areq known

Steve

Hi spike, thanks for the link to the site ! Its an amazing site, creepiest part is that according to the site . I live In Gloucester road tuebrook, and a family died in number 63, about 20 doors down from me, I heard rumors there was underground toilets in hornby road that was apparently bombed and covered up, and also blacklers was the same, as for sandbags being used, don't know wether that's morally right or wrong, a family gets closure by burying a loved one or a family gets lied to ?

Closure is what families want, and a place to lay tributes , and even talk to their lost loved ones. A lot of local men and some women were lost at sea during both wars and at other times, families have their names enscribed on the family plot gravestone if they had one or even have a plot bought for them and a stone erected even though it's an empty grave.
    After all how many letters were written to say a soldier, sailor, airman died instantly from enemy action .....when the real truth would have been to unbearable for their families
    If a lie is used with the best intentions to ease the pain of loss I could live with that.

Prefab, you hit the nail on the head