Thread: Rita Tushingham

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Rita Tushingham

She was born on 14 March 1940 in Liverpool, and started her career as a stage actress at the Liverpool Playhouse. Her screen debut was in A Taste of Honey in 1961, the groundbreaking movie of the British realist tradition. She had memorable performances in The Leather Boys (1963), The Knack...And How to Get It (1965) and Doctor Zhivago (1965). The Knack (and how to get it) was filmed in the Southam Street area of Notting Hill.

She was an icon of 1960s Britain, and was popularised again in the 1980s by her appearance in Carla Lane's Bread.

Smile Parent's store

...and her parent's store (grocery?) was on the corner of Garston Park...

It kept the Tushingham name for a long time, but it has now been re-named...

gil A

I always understood that her parents shop was by Frank Tuzios in Hunts Cross
    " If you know your history, then you would know where you coming from".

"I could have been a footballer - but I had a paper round"..Yosser Hughes

Blog Entries

Always thought her best film was 'The Trap', with Oliver Reed.

Quote Originally Posted by john View Post
    I always understood that her parents shop was by Frank Tuzios in Hunts Cross

My husband is from Halewood, and he tells me that the Tushinghams would deliver groceries to the houses in the area - before the shops where built. (Their shop was on Higher rd.)

Tushingham's wasn't actually in Hunts Cross, but was further down towards Halewood opposite Mackets lane.

Tuzios was ( or is still) a barbers shop.

He says that perhaps the Tush's had a shop in Garston Old rd. too ? - not sure - he only knows the one which was opposite Mackets lane.

ps,

he reckons the Tushingham shop became a taxi office - or was it the tyre shop ??
    There was a club behind there called St Andrews.

I understood it to be next to Tuzios, the newsagents.
    " If you know your history, then you would know where you coming from".

"I could have been a footballer - but I had a paper round"..Yosser Hughes

Hi all

The answer is that the Tushinghams had more than one shop.

At the time of Rita Tushingham's birth, at Oxford Street Maternity Hospital, Liverpool, on March 14, 1942, the family lived on Ryegate Road in Garston and they moved later to Hunts Cross.

At the time of her birth "Rita's father was the proprietor of Tushingham's Grocery (eventually he had 3 stores) at the corner of Garston Old Road. . . . In 1946, the Tushinghams moved from Ryegate Road to the Hunts Cross district of Liverpool." Information from Rita Tushingham Home Page. Early Years, 1942-1961.

The following is from the Wikipedia entry on Hunts Cross:

"Between the railway station and the precinct are a number of shops, with a patch of empty ground opposite them. This was the location of a large house where the actress Rita Tushingham grew up. Originally farmland owned by the Tushingham family, some of the houses built with it are still in existence today along Ashton Drive. When the house was destroyed, the Tushinghams gave the land to the council, with the proviso that it was to be used to build a library for the community. A mobile library came here once a week up until the late 1990s, when the nearby school opened up its library to the public. Subsequently, the council wanted to use this land as a bus turning circle, but was stopped by Tushingham, and the Hunts Cross Residents Committee, as this was in breach of contract for the land's usage." (Information from Wikipedia entry on Hunts Cross and "Film star's mother in row" Daily Post, Feb 1, 2001)

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist
    Editor, Loch Raven Review
    http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/
    Chris on Flickr and on MySpace