Thread: Missing in 1861 census help needed PLEASE

Exclamation Missing in 1861 census help needed PLEASE

My GG grand mother and father were Samuel Harvey b 1818ish in Birmingham and Susannah (various spellings) Carter also born in Birmingham c 1819.
    They were married at St Peter’s Harborne Dec 1836 and went on to have 10 children born between 1838 and 59. The last 3 were born in Liverpool. The first of which was my G Grandmother Eliza Agnes Harvey b 1854 in Liverpool. I have the family in Kings Norton Worcestershire in the 1851 census he was a weighing machine fitter.
    I cannot find them on 1861 census. Also I can't find Samuel and Sussannah's birth or baptism details in Birmingham area.
    Samuel died I believe in 1858 in Liverpool and I have found a marriage for Sussannah Harvey (Sussannah Carter) 1866 St Peter's Everton. So she did not die while her children were young!! That makes me happy.
    I still cannot find her in the 1861 census or her children. I have sent for both his death cert and her 2nd marriage cert.

Please can someone help me find them on 1861 census
    Thanks in anticipation
    Lynne

Thanks Dave, I think that is my Samuel and I have sent for the death certificate. We are so lucky in Liverpool, not only do we have the Toxteth park cemetry site but also Lancs Online parish clerk.. A big thanks to all those involved

Best of luck Lynne. I had a look through the 1861 census and also Slater's 1855 + Gore's 1860 but not a sniff.

Opic Street? I can find plenty of references to it, but not where it was exactly.

EDIT.

It's Ok, Opie Street will do instead.
    Last edited by Davec; 10-05-2011 at 06:18 PM. Reason: A correction

This could be them Lynne

Susanah Harvey Widow Laundress b 1819 B,Ham
    Alice D 1847 1847 b B,Ham
    Clara 1849 B,Ham
    Ellen 1854 b L,Pool
    Emily 1857 L,Pool
    Margaret 1860 L,Pool
    102, Cellar, Tarlton St Everton

Eliza A Harvey down as visitor as below

William Smith aged 66yrs Carpenter b Chaderley
    Rachel 42 yrs b Liverpool
    William 29 b B,Ham
    Eliza is down as being b Liverpool you need to find above Rachels maiden name on marriage to see if family connection to Eliza,s family.
    Dot

---------- Post added at 06:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:48 PM ----------

Eliza should have read down as being born B,Ham.

Thanks for that Dot and Dave.
    My Eliza was born in Liverpool in 1854 and I thought she was mistranscribed on the Talbot St census as Ellen who I cannot find a birth for.
    82 Opie St is where Eliza was married from in 1870. i do not remember where you got Opic (opie) street from, please could you remind me
    Lynne

Sorry Lynne, I should have mentioned it in my earlier post, it was from the St. Peters marriage records - the same one you've seen probably.
    'Opic' Street is how I read it at first on that same marriage record of Eliza and William Mitchell.
    Good luck Lynne........and well done Dot.

Found 1 birth and bap for a Samuel Harvey b 25/8/1818 baptised 31/5/1822 St Phillips B,Ham Father Samuel mother Elizabeth

" 2 for Susanna Carter 1) b 1/6/1819 B,Ham bap 23/8/1819 father Benjamin mother Elizabeth.

" " 2) bap 11/1/1819 Dunchurch Warwick father Jonathan mother Sarah.
    Regards
    Dot

Thanks again both. The one for Samuel looks good. Unfortunately Sussannah on he 2nd marriage said her father was Samuel!! This was to Abraham Webster in July 66.
    I have a copy of the register for her first marriage to Samuel (in Harbourne) and it does not give parents. Or at least I think that is their marriage. Oh Dear

What was the address for Eliza Agnes where she was a visitor please.

Tried looking for William Smith with a wife Rachel, not much luck.

There is one 1840 on Free BMD but when you look the wife Rachel Nurton says Manchester. i do not know of any connection between havey family and that surname. Could she have been a servant??

Hi Lynne,
    Eliza A Harvey 1852 Cherry Lane, Aston, B,Ham, ecclesiastical district St Andrews.
    Regards
    Dot

Samuel Harvey
    I have his death certificate and his name is only given as Samuel Ged 39 yrs 19th march 1858 at Everton Hospital of consumption. He was a journey man Weighing machine maker. That is what was on census in 1841 and 51 in Birmingham area as well. so I am sure it is him. Works out he was born 1819/18 if it was after March.

I have Susannah's second marriage certificate and she was a widow in 1866 aged 48 hence born 1818. Father Samuel Carter. Cannot find her on IGI or anywhere else in Birmingham area.

Mitchell - John b c 1811 his father is given as Alexander on his marriage certificate , so I don't think the person on Ancestry has it correct, but I can't find any suitable birth in Ireland or Scotland.
    I cannot find this John whose son William married Eliza Harvey in 1870 St Peter's Everton.
    Thanks Lynne

Davec I have received the death cert for Samuel Harvey buried in Toxtheth and it looks like a positive match. His occupation is the same as on 1851 and 41 censuses 'Weighing machine maker' it also says journeyman. he died of consumption in Everton Hospital (West Derby Rd)

Dot - also received the marriage cert for Susannah Nee Carter the Harvey when she remarried in 1866 and her father is given as Samuel a smallware dealer
    Thanks for your help
    Lynne