Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Old ABC cinema to become boutique hotel

PhilipG

Quote Originally Posted by PhilipG View Post
    It's a pity that this subject is spread over 2 threads.
    Kev put it on another (scroll above) and I made my initial response to it there.
    It just doesn't make sense to dilute the discussion by having it all over the place!
    Ironically, at some point Kev will have to merge the two threads, because it is an important subject, and that's not fair!
    Just noticed there are at least four threads with Forum/ABC in the title.
    Why can't we keep them all in the one place?

Blog Entries

Is it the same building?
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

PhilipG

Quote Originally Posted by Kev View Post
    Is it the same building?
    Yes, Kev.
    It was the Forum until the 1960s, then the ABC.
    It was the Cannon for a few years, and then the ABC (again) until it closed.

Quote Originally Posted by Kev View Post
    THE disused ABC cinema on Lime Street is to become a New York-style supper club and boutique hotel, it has been revealed. Read

I'll be really made up if this goes ahead,I can't believe we're leaving the Lime Street area as one of the last to redevelop,it's such an important gateway.Urban Splash will do it proud though,I'm glad they're involved.

Quote Originally Posted by lindylou View Post
    I'm still waiting to find out what is the meaning of a 'boutique hotel' ... ha,ha, ... I thought a boutique is a shop that sells fashionable clobber

I'm answering my own post as no one else seems to know

I Googled it:

Boutique hotel is a term originating in North America to describe intimate, usually luxurious or quirky hotel environments. Boutique hotels differentiate themselves from larger chain/branded hotels and motels by providing an exceptional and personalized level of accommodation and services / facilities.
    en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boutique_hotel

it must be a fairly recent way of describing a hotel here in UK 'cos I've never heard of it until the last few months. I reckon it's one of these trendy phrases that catch on every now and then.

As we all know Boutique is a French word - which means shop if my memory of schooldays is correct.

PhilipG

Yes, "Boutique" does mean a shop, but for the Brits it came to be used for a small shop, and now it looks like the word just means "small" to some people.
    Language changes all the time.
    My Gran (born 1880) told me that she remembered when "Sophisticated" meant "Sarcastic".

kat2

I posted this thread in the news section because its current news (5th of September) anything that is current news goes into the current news section, philip, your thread was under the gues of the forum cinema? because your quoting past tense, and the last used name for that particular building was in fact the ABC, therefore, when i am dealing with items of current news, thats why this is in the current news thread. I have noticed several postings not just about subjects i have posted but other members threads are in the wrong place too, but little is said about that, such as miguel, talking about something that should be in the chat thread, and somebody else wanting to know where to catch a bus, again in the wrong thread, catching a bus, should be in discussion or chat?
    at least, I am trying to post in current threads in relation to news events of a current nature. after all if something is reported in the news, and you wish to draw members attention to that, how else can this be done?
    current news being just that. Old news yes, i can understand and have posted in the relevant forum threads, such as my recent dug up item on st Johns refurbishment due to start in 2009 but reported in august 2006.
    but because its news thats going to unfold that cannot be classed as current news.
    kat

Blog Entries

Ive moved it to the development/ restoration section - more appropriate for this story, the Liverpool news section is for issues in the news that don't go anywhere else.
    Last edited by Kev; 09-06-2007 at 08:47 PM.
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

kat2

I wonder why you constantly pic on my threads, it was news as of the 5th of September, how sad!! And Philip posted it under the name of forum cinema! how about you pulling up some of the other posters kev, like i have pointed out ?
    or do you have issues with me?
    kat

Blog Entries

Kat, really, is there any need? I don't pick on my members, why would I?

The only advice I'd give to members is to do search or keep an eye out for similar news before posting.

I've merged two threads together here and pulled in some posts from the exploration thread as I think those pictures/ views should stay separate.
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

kat2

yes, there is, i posted in the news section because i beleive if something is currently in the news then thats where it belongs, its current and news, with regard to picking on me, yes, i feel you do have an issue, but its your forum. i dont see you pulling up other members like you have done with my postings despite it being clearly the case that there have been postings by others in the wrong forums.
    if your going to apply rigid rules, then lets all adhear to them, including re moving posts that belong in the chat section, or discussion, only then would i consider it to be fair.
    kat
    of course if you do not wish me to post here, thats fine, skyscraper dont seem to mind.
    ps, yes, i did a search, but the post i was applying was in the correct forum, "news" its not urban, either, its current news how can the centre of liverpool be classed as urban

Quote Originally Posted by kat2 View Post
    of course if you do not wish me to post here, thats fine, skyscraper dont seem to mind.
    ps, yes, i did a search, but the post i was applying was in the correct forum, "news" its not urban, either, its current news how can the centre of liverpool be classed as urban

Hope you stay, Kat. You are a mine of information.

Currently Ignoring:
    The Door Bell
    The voices in my head

Location Kensington drone_pilot's Avatar

Kat wind your neck in, i love your posts, you are a mine of great info, but Kev has a big problem deciding where things go, it's like juggling with stream, I know as I'm a admin on several sites, Militaryimages.net for example, and i know what it's like to running a site.

We are all diffrent and as such we have diffrent agenda, so Kev has to preempt what people are searching for.

please Kat dont take it to heart, please remain and continue posting

Mal

Ps kev whill tell you i have been on the wrong side, of the posting police on several times. DOH!
    Last edited by drone_pilot; 09-06-2007 at 10:30 PM.
    multi multa; nemo omnia novit

PhilipG

Kat, you keep using my name.
    All I'm going to say is you posted the same Daily Post item AFTER Kev had posted it, so it wasn't news to me as I'd already read it.

kat2

Philip, my point is kev posted a current news item in the wrong section
    current news is just that, it was the 5th of september, and was in the news, I wasnt aware of the fact that the two were interlinked, I live on the wirral and although, I was a resident in Liverpool for a short time, I never remember seeing that particular cinema open.
    my point is this, plenty of yo members post in the wrong sections, take for example somebody asking about where to catch a bus, or Miguels post which was in the news section (or media) which wasnt news it was infact, discussion or chat, same as asking where to get a bus, thats not in the right section, and has not been corrected.
    I try and be as accurate as I can with my postings, but sadly feel i am being constantly followed round with some vigor, the sad fact is, this should be applied equally or not at all? wouldnt you agree.
    some posts stick out like a soar thumb, i am not sure why kev has even used the word Urban, because it actually means City, so if you take the word Urban and replace it with city, the sections dont make sense.
    this is about being fair to all users, i dont go out of my way to post in the wrong section, if news is current then as far as I am concerned it goes in the news section, my st Johns post was not current news, it then went into another section.
    you apply one rule for all
    kat

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast