Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Grand National, 1965

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Mark R View Post
    .....I would have given my left arm to see Jim Clark race there (as many others). I envy you seeing him there and yes I agree - Oulton Park is a far better circuit. I was 2 when Clark died in 1968....
    I was lucky enough to see Jim Clark race at Oulton Park a few times. The most exciting for the crowd was Clark in a Lotus Cortina and Graham Hill in a huge Ford Galaxie 500. The Lotus was quicker in the turns and the powerful Ford caught up at the end of the straights - great racing for the spectators. I found a link to this print of a similar race -

I also saw him racing a Lotus Elan hardtop, and one race the top sort of peeled back... then, less than 8 years later, I bought and rebuilt a Lotus Elan when I lived in Michigan - the hottest car I ever owned, and luckily I didn't kill myself in it.
    To follow up I just bought a 94 Mazda Miata (MX-5 in the UK) last month which was based on the Lotus Elan - less power, identical dimensions and more working, reliable stuff, but just as much fun to drive with the the top down in our hot evenings...

Quote Originally Posted by Mark R View Post
    Aintree was dropped as an F1 GP circuit due to a couple of reasons: The racing fraternity and pro-Silverstone brigade didn't want the north to host it. Silverstone and Aintree alternated the British GP from 54 -60. Aintree hosted the 61 & 62 races (to the annoyance of Silverstone). Wolfgang von Trips won the 61 race (and was killed at Monza less than eight weeks later) the greatest driver ever (imho) Jim Clark won the final race at Aintree in 1962.
    The other reason why it was dropped was because it was a crap circuit.
    Hi Mark,
    long time,no see! Thanks for the info',I suspected there might have been some North/South competition involved!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12