Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist
    Editor, Loch Raven Review
    http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/
    Chris on Flickr and on MySpace

Keeping It Real !!!!!!!!! ItsaZappathing's Avatar

Hi Chris,
    I know its hard but you have so much to be proud of and your mum will always shine through.
    Keep strong Chris,Your mum will be so proud.

Thanks, Zap. You'll like this, I think. The urn containing my Mum's ashes is wrapped in a "In Me Liverpool Home" tea towel.

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist

Blog Entries

Hi Chris, twas a pleasure to spend the afternoon with you, Donna and friends. Good to see ya after a few years mate........

Chris George Yoria's Ashes by ijob, on Flickr

Kev
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

I have been wondering today how it all went.
    Pity the weather wasn't kinder.

I'm sure it's been an emotional and reflective day for Chris.

Thanks to Kev for the great photographs and to all who were thinking of us at the moment when my Mum's ashes went into the Mersey. Kev, it was great that you could be with us to welcome my Mum home to Merseyside. As I stated in my remarks, my Mum and I left on the Cunard liner Saxonia from the landing stage in January 1955 bound for New York, and though she henceforth lived in the U.S., mostly in the Baltimore area except for a year in Connecticut when my Dad worked at a hospital in Wallingford, she never forgot her English and specifically Liverpool roots. When I asked where she would like her ashes scattered she said unhesitatingly, "In the Mersey."

Lindy, the weather conditions could have been better but the rain held off for the actual ceremony, the river relatively calm as Mum's ashes slid into the water. Also had a private message from a member who came to the Pier Head and thought it might be a bit rough, so did not join us but nonetheless cast a rose into the water for my mother. Thank you!

In terms of the people in the photographs, you will recognize me in the red Liverpool hat and my wife Donna is the pink jacket. The man seated next to me is Alan Bennett, a cousin who runs an extensive genealogical website which lists my Matchett relatives. His mother Edith Jones is in the light blue -- she and Alan had come over from the Haydock Park area for the occasion. The lady in purple is Sue Shinkfield, along with her husband Neil, a school friend of mine from Quarry Bank High School in the Sixties. Neil was telling us that he was an extra in "Ferry Cross the Mersey", the Gerry Marsden film of 1964 and got paid £5 for the day's shooting. The song by Gerry and the Pacemakers was played during the voyage.

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist

Liverpool Photographer Gerard Fleming's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisGeorge View Post
    Thanks to Kev for the great photographs and to all who were thinking of us at the moment when my Mum's ashes went into the Mersey. Kev, it was great that you could be with us to welcome my Mum home to Merseyside. As I stated in my remarks, my Mum and I left on the Cunard liner Saxonia from the landing stage in January 1955 bound for New York, and though she henceforth lived in the U.S., mostly in the Baltimore area except for a year in Connecticut when my Dad worked at a hospital in Wallingford, she never forgot her English and specifically Liverpool roots. When I asked where she would like her ashes scattered she said unhesitatingly, "In the Mersey."

Lindy, the weather conditions could have been better but the rain held off for the actual ceremony, the river relatively calm as Mum's ashes slid into the water. Also had a private message from a member who came to the Pier Head and thought it might be a bit rough, so did not join us but nonetheless cast a rose into the water for my mother. Thank you!

In terms of the people in the photographs, you will recognize me in the red Liverpool hat and my wife Donna is the pink jacket. The man seated next to me is Alan Bennett, a cousin who runs an extensive genealogical website which lists my Matchett relatives. His mother Enid Jones is in the light blue -- she and Alan had come over from the Haydock Park area for the occasion. The lady in purple is Sue Shinkfield, along with her husband Neil, a school friend of mine from Quarry Bank High School in the Sixties. Neil was telling us that he was an extra in "Ferry Cross the Mersey", the Gerry Marsden film of 1964 and got paid £5 for the day's shooting. The song by Gerry and the Pacemakers was played during the voyage.

Chris

I'm glad to hear it went well Chris..

Sorry I could not be there, I'm really pleased for you..
    Great pics as well Kev.... nice one..

Gerard.

Liverpool Days... << my website of Liverpool images

Quote Originally Posted by Gerard Fleming View Post
    I'm glad to hear it went well Chris..

Sorry I could not be there, I'm really pleased for you..
    Great pics as well Kev.... nice one..

Gerard.
    Hi Gerard

Also sorry you could not be with us but many many thanks for your part in making it happen. As you can see from the pics and from the remarks in my post, things went smoothly. However, if you can believe it, despite the letter to you from Mersey Ferries confirming that the "Ashes Ceremony" would be held at 12 noon on the ferry on Saturday, 8 October, the blokes on the ferry said that they had received no notification but that it would not be a problem and the ceremony could go ahead. All's well that ends well. Also sorry mate that we will miss your upcoming photo exhibition. I am sure things will go well! Many congratulations, pal.

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist

Liverpool Photographer Gerard Fleming's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisGeorge View Post
    Hi Gerard

Also sorry you could not be with us but many many thanks for your part in making it happen. As you can see from the pics and from the remarks in my post, things went smoothly. However, if you can believe it, despite the letter to you from Mersey Ferries confirming that the "Ashes Ceremony" would be held at 12 noon on the ferry on Saturday, 8 October, the blokes on the ferry said that they had received no notification but that it would not be a problem and the ceremony could go ahead. All's well that ends well. Also sorry mate that we will miss your upcoming photo exhibition. I am sure things will go well! Many congratulations, pal.

Chris

Chris my friend..

I'm made up to have done that little thing for you, good job you had that letter eh..
    I'm just sorry I could not be there to witness you scattering your mums ashes..

I'm really pleased it went well, and I'm glad Kev turned up to see you and took those great photos..

You take care mate, tell Donna I was asking..

And have a safe journey home..

God Bless...

Gerard..
    Liverpool Days... << my website of Liverpool images

Glad it all went well,Chris!

Keeping It Real !!!!!!!!! ItsaZappathing's Avatar

Very nice that Chris. I am glad the day went well.

Blog Entries

I was flying home at the very time you had the ashes ceremony Chris, was thinking about you and your family at this special time.

Best Wishes to you Les x

Blog Entries

Chris, you have carried out your mothers wishes from afar and you can do no more. Your duty is done, you can content youself and be proud, as your mother would be of you ! You will have the fond memories of the years past, in the knowledge that you have completed the journey for her.

Default A cousins comments on the day

Hello everyone, I decided to join the forum yesterday after returning from the ashes ceremony.

Chris is my 3rd cousin and therefore his mum and mine (Edith not Enid) were second cousins, although none of us had met until yesterday.

It was a privilege to be present to represent the wider family that couldn't be there in body and my only regret is that, due to my losing my voice a day earlier, I was not able to express myself very well on the day. The staff of the ferry were brilliant and although they hadn't been told in advance of the booking they proceeded with the ceremony without any hesitation.

As Chris states I have an extensive website containing many Liverpool families. This includes the MATCHETT family that links Chris and I, but also the more famous RATHBONE's. You can find it at :

http://familytree.cheshirealan.org.uk

Kindest Regards
    Alan Bennett

chris ,, sorry for your loss ,,5 years ago my family and i put my dads ashes in the mersey ,,we brought our parish priest ,the ferry stopped for us in the middle and ,,the priest said a few words,, and he was in ,,
    it was windy and some of the ashes blew back onto the ferry,,my mum said,every time we felt a bit down just get on the ferry and yeah dad will b waiting,,,,,i will light a candle for your mum in church tonight,,
    thanks for sharing ..........

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast