Thread: The Cavern 1966

Blog Entries

Default The Cavern 1966

Ask any teenager in 1963 where they would most like to be and there was only one answer – Liverpool. But – when your grandmother starts strutting her stuff on the dance floor, it’s time for a quick exit. The Cavern re-opened, after shutting for financial reason, in July 1967. Harold Wilson, the then-Prime Minister [...]
    More...

Two more great pic's,Colin! Alway's thought "Miss Wartski" was in Cases st,but looking at the slope,it probably is Bold St. It was a trendy,modern boutique,at least at one time,as I remember it being mentioned by various females, as the place to go!

Liverpool New Yorker! Ronijayne's Avatar

Yes, good dress shop and the Cavern pic takes me right back sigh*
    Earth is the insane asylum for the universe.

Do you think that could possibly be the back view of Mary Wilson, Harold’s wife?Looks like a professional photographer taking the photo.
    I agree wearing your vest under your slip wasn’t a good look even back then
    Quote Originally Posted by Colin Wilkinson View Post
    Ask any teenager in 1963 where they would most like to be and there was only one answer – Liverpool. But – when your grandmother starts strutting her stuff on the dance floor, it’s time for a quick exit. The Cavern re-opened, after shutting for financial reason, in July 1967. Harold Wilson, the then-Prime Minister [...]
    More...

Great pics. The window display of Miss Wartski looks like it will come to life like a dodgy edition of Dr Who.

Blog Entries

I only started going to the Cavern in 1967 - doesn't surprise me to learn that makes me uncool!

Blog Entries

Miss Wartski, one enterprise too many for the old family firm?...

Eastern European immigration in the 1800s...

“They (Jewish immigrants) travelled out from places like Liverpool into the Welsh countryside as peddlers.

“But eventually they set up communities first in Bangor, then in Llandudno, Colwyn Bay, Rhyl and Wrexham.”

Those peddlers moved on to renting small shops, and then owning large stores like Pollecoff's of Pwllheli and Wartski’s of Bangor and Llandudno, which boasted of being 'By Royal Appointment’.

According to the story, Isidore Wartski become the mayor of Bangor, and is believed have been the first Jewish mayor in Wales. The Wartski store even had a branch in London's Bond Street.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wartski

Liverpool Photographer Gerard Fleming's Avatar

The chap taking the pic on the left of the Cavern photo is Dick Mathews I believe..
    he had a studio in the premises that were later used as the Mersey Beat offices..
    on Renshaw St..
    Dick was part of the little 'gang' involved with The Beatles...
    he took all the early days Beatles shots you see in The Cavern..
    and on their early days gigs up and down the country..
    he was well ripped off in selling his Beatles photos for a really small fee..
    I'd like to name names and all that but I cant, for obvious reasons..

Dick died only recently...

Cheers..

Gerard.
    Liverpool Days... << my website of Liverpool images

Brillaint Oudeis. Thanks for the very interesting info.

Thanks Colin, at last someone has highlighted the Miss Wartski shop. Most people I've asked don't remember it. It's the first time I've seen a picture of it
    I remember it being at the bottom end of Bold st - I'm sure it was the building which is on the corner with Concert st. I think I might have bought something in there. I had a pair of Psychedelic bell bottoms ! ha! probably that's where I got them

Blog Entries

That women dancing is carrying her coat, you can't do the cavern stomp like that.

I loved the lunch time sessions as I had to be home early in the evening. Ahh ey Mam.

That women dancing is carrying her coat, you can't do the cavern stomp like that.
    Don't think that woman is doing the dance,Lesley....looks as if she's just having her picture taken? and to be fair she looks as if she is in her fifty's with hairstyle,clothing and flab on her arms to boot.

Blog Entries

Hi Gerard,

I remember Dick Mathews - I used some of his photos in a book I published about the Cavern back in 1995.
    He was a very nice, modest man - but he wasn't ripped off. Apple paid him a considerable amount for his Beatles' negs at a time when most photo agencies would have paid very little. (I believe the sum was over £35k if I remember what Dick told me). His problem was not how much he got - it was the loss of the negs which were his main connection to The Beatles. Once you have spent the money - you start having regrets.
    Don't forget, in the late 80s, The Beatles weren't considered the marketing phenomena they are now. Very few predicted they would just get bigger. Apple were 'obsessed' with collecting as much material as they could for their own future projects (books/films etc). I know people with original material who were desperate to sell to them knowing they would get a good price.

Thats why I think it is Mary wilson Harold Wilson's wife he reopened the Cavern and that looks like a shot from the opening night.
    Quote Originally Posted by GeorgePorgie View Post
    Don't think that woman is doing the dance,Lesley....looks as if she's just having her picture taken? and to be fair she looks as if she is in her fifty's with hairstyle,clothing and flab on her arms to boot.

Liverpool Photographer Gerard Fleming's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Wilkinson View Post
    Hi Gerard,

I remember Dick Mathews - I used some of his photos in a book I published about the Cavern back in 1995.
    He was a very nice, modest man - but he wasn't ripped off. Apple paid him a considerable amount for his Beatles' negs at a time when most photo agencies would have paid very little. (I believe the sum was over £35k if I remember what Dick told me). His problem was not how much he got - it was the loss of the negs which were his main connection to The Beatles. Once you have spent the money - you start having regrets.
    Don't forget, in the late 80s, The Beatles weren't considered the marketing phenomena they are now. Very few predicted they would just get bigger. Apple were 'obsessed' with collecting as much material as they could for their own future projects (books/films etc). I know people with original material who were desperate to sell to them knowing they would get a good price.

Hello Colin..
    If you say Dick got over £35,000 then Dick got over got £35,000...

Cheers..

Gerard..
    Liverpool Days... << my website of Liverpool images