Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Children's home in Gateacre in the 70's

The jokes were good. . . just went over the line.

Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist
    Editor, Loch Raven Review
    http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/
    Chris on Flickr and on MySpace

PhilipG

Just checked the aerial photo with the 1904 OS map, and the circled building is Knoll Park on the map.
    The convent isn't shown, so must have been built later.

PhilipG

Default Knoll Park today.

Last edited by PhilipG; 09-05-2007 at 11:57 PM.

Thanks Philip for the pictures.
    It must be the place. I remember that the white house had the offices and the brick building was where the children stayed. I remember the corridor going from one building to the other and the prison like windows......

I didn't know they had put a statue of me up in the garden, very nice thing to do......

Well done Phil for taking the time and the effort to let us see what we've all been reading about. Really putting your free bus pass to great use
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Angry Knoll Park

Knoll park (Saint Gabriels Convent) is now Knoll Park assisted Childrens home or something like that.

The Convent was run by The Poor Servants of The Mother Of God nuns. It was also well staffed with paedophiles (One in particular got 11 years)

The photos are of the gatehouse where ****** lived while at the convent for 20 years (yes, really!) and the main building entrance.

I was a guest there from 1967 - 1970 It was a great place, if you liked praying and saying the rosary all through May!

Any old alter boys reading this?
    Last edited by Kev; 04-03-2011 at 11:55 AM.
    Always remember lads, one Evertonian is worth 20 Liverpudlians
    Brian Labone, Everton Captain

Default Knolle Park nursery

The Google earth photo is not Knolle Park it is directly on the opposite side of the road. The locked gates are actually on the little roundabout.
    Knolle Park while still a very small children's home is also a children's nursery and a home for ill and retired nuns. The home is in a separate brick built buildings which are very modern wereas the nursery is accessed from the side and is attached to the main house. This can be a 24 hour nursery if needed as the room upstairs has room for a small number to stay overnight.
    My grandaughter as been in the nursery for three years although never overnight and we pick her up from there frequently. As you enter the nursery there is a big staircase ( wellies perhaps)and then we go through to a big hall which is were the older children are, you can see the chapel window from there. Although it is a lovely nursery with lovely grounds and lots of space for the little ones to play I always get a sense of sadness when I think of all the kids who have passed through there.
    I think any record would be kept in the Liverpool Records Office, Fourth Floor, Picton Library, William Brown Street, Liverpool 3. This is NOT Picton Library in Picton Road Liverpool 15. I am going to the nursery on Monday and I will ask if the records are kept anywhere else and how they can be accessed.

PhilipG

The circled building IS Knoll Park on the 1904 OS map, with Beaconsfield Road to the left of the red circle.

In that case they have moved it because Knolle Park is the other side. As you come around the roundabout into Beaconsfield its on the left not the right. I was there an hour ago. We will have agree to differ.

I suppose to the people who were there and who started this thread it doesn't really matter.

PhilipG

Quote Originally Posted by DLNY View Post
    Extract from Alan Godfrey reprint of 1904 OS Lancs sheet 114.01.

Default Knolle Park

I think that you probably were at St gabriels Knolle Park in Woolton I was there in the early sixties, some of the nuns then were Sts Arsenius, Gertrude, Andrew, Ethelberga and Bernadette among others. The boys dormitory was accessed via a walkway from the girls side. If I recall correctly in the boys dorm there was a iron circular staircase the lady that looked after the boys in those days was called Doreen. Knolle Park in the 60's stood in a great deal of land (later quite a lot sold off) they had a piggery, orchard and vegetable garden, laundry situated near the piggery and parts of that area i think dated bach to the 1600's.
    If you remember going to chapel you may recall the long walk up stone steps early mornings to mass the chapel in those days was at the very top of the building.
    does any of this help???
    Regards
    Lilian

Quote Originally Posted by Doylie View Post
    Knoll park (Saint Gabriels Convent) is now Knoll Park assisted Childrens home or something like that.

The Convent was run by The Poor Servants of The Mother Of God nuns. It was also well staffed with paedophiles (One in particular got 11 years, Andy Christian)

The photos are of the gatehouse where Christian lived while at the convent for 20 years (yes, really!) and the main building entrance.

I was a guest there from 1967 - 1970 It was a great place, if you liked praying and saying the rosary all through May!

Any old alter boys reading this?
    i think you will find that ************ was setup by gold digging monsters instead of the crap you are spouting you idiot!
    i knew the man as i grew up as a child and he was the soul of the earth and never touched either me or my two brothers so please refrain from the slandering the guy till you know the facts.
    and i hope it ****es it down all year round in your part of the world loser.
    Last edited by Kev; 04-03-2011 at 11:56 AM.

PhilipG

Quote Originally Posted by cbw View Post
    i think you will find that ************* was setup by gold digging monsters instead of the crap you are spouting you idiot!
    i knew the man as i grew up as a child and he was the soul of the earth and never touched either me or my two brothers so please refrain from the slandering the guy till you know the facts.
    cbw
    Even if what you are saying is true, you make it hard to believe by posting in such a way.
    Last edited by Kev; 04-03-2011 at 11:57 AM.

Keeping It Real !!!!!!!!! ItsaZappathing's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cbw View Post
    i think you will find that ************ was setup by gold digging monsters instead of the crap you are spouting you idiot!
    Am with you on that.
    Last edited by Kev; 04-03-2011 at 11:57 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast