Thread: Saturday at the Bluecoat, 1966

Blog Entries

Default Saturday at the Bluecoat, 1966

I am very fond of the Bluecoat Chambers. I did, after all spend over 17 years there, running my different businesses. One thing that divided opinion was the Saturday art market held on the railings. How long it had been there, I don’t know but it was free pitch for any artist willing to brave [...]
    More...

I agree Colin and hope it returns but I wonder how many these days would know of the free pitch being available again, that's if it is.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Liverpool Photographer Gerard Fleming's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ged View Post
    I agree Colin and hope it returns but I wonder how many these days would know of the free pitch being available again, that's if it is.

I'm not sure Ged exactly what free pitch you mention but people around the town are crying out for artists to show their work for free..
    I've been offered in the last 2 weeks free wall space for as many photos as I want (that they can fit in ) at 3 establishments in the town...thats apart from the offer of an exhibition which is yet to be finalised..they are made up if your work is known.... it brings them custom with people wanting to see the work of local people from the arts world...

Gerard..
    Liverpool Days... << my website of Liverpool images

I refer to Colin's write up that accompanies his photo. I think those outside the bluecoat were more available for sale rather than just exhibit.

Sorry Ged, I wasn't sure whether what you said below was aimed at local artists
    who maybe never knew free space was available... I'm just pointing out it is...

" I wonder how many these days would know of the free pitch being available again.. "

Ah yes I see what you mean. No, I was just wondering if those that previously exhibited their work for sale outside the Bluecoat were still in that game or if the powers that be were still making that site available to them or others.

Quote Originally Posted by Ged View Post
    Ah yes I see what you mean. No, I was just wondering if those that previously exhibited their work for sale outside the Bluecoat were still in that game or if the powers that be were still making that site available to them or others.

Good lad.. thanks...

On the railings on the left of the Bluecoat entrance an artist called Tony Hennigan showed his work..
    I think it is Hennigan, his original oils are in the loft I think so I cant check his signature..
    Me and the Mrs bought 2 of his pieces about 1980..I think..
    still got them as I say but put away somewhere...

I last heard Tony was bad through alcohol or something..
    I hope its not true and he's out and about and OK.. he was a nice lad..and his work is fantastic.

Ta....

Gerard.

Town has changed that much over the last couple of years,but I thought the artists would have returned,after the Bluecoat renovation! I suppose it would cost anyone to do it now?

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Wilkinson View Post
    I am very fond of the Bluecoat Chambers. I did, after all spend over 17 years there, running my different businesses. One thing that divided opinion was the Saturday art market held on the railings. How long it had been there, I don’t know but it was free pitch for any artist willing to brave [...]
    More...
    Colin hi,
    I used to work at the Bluecoat Chambers at the Arts Council of Great Britain office but we used to also run across the courtyard to Merseyside Arts to use their photocopier etc. We were in the same door as the Sandon and there were French classes in the room next to us .
    my husband Peter had quite a few exhibitions at the Bluecoat Bryan Biggs was the young curator at the time. I have some pottery here in New Zealand that we bought from the studio and there were also secondhand book sales and sitting in the garden for lunch was a real treat.