Thread: A little bit more about me.

Blog Entries

Default A little bit more about me.

After my Dad passed away, Mam went to work full time in Kraft Foods, Kirkby working shift work, she became the bread winner,

I had left Roscommon St. school and started work in a manufacturing opticians in Duke St as an office jnr, it was awful and in the end my Mam pulled a few strings and I got a job in the Data Control office at Kraft, it was great, the money was good and I mixed well with girls of my own age and made some good friends.

Instead of staying in keeping my grieving Mam company, I wanted to be out there with my friends.
    I felt my Mam was being unfair to me, after all it was the "swinging sixties" for goodness sake.
    All through my childhood she had stopped me doing things in case I hurt myself, especially after I had Rheumatic Fever which left me with a heart murmur when I was twelve, (she was over compensating for her feelings of guilt at not wanting me), this would happen a lot through my younger life.

When I was eighteen I met a lad in the Peppermint Lounge, by Samson and Barlow,
    He was very popular and was made up when he asked me for a date, we went out for a while, then I took him home to meet my Mam. He was Catholic and I was Protestant, in those day's maybe still, you didn't go out with someone who was not the same religion as you.
    I lived off Netherfield Rd and he was from the Brownlow Hill area.
    My Mam took an instant dislike to him not because of the religion but she could see he was very streetwise and I was certainly not.

I know "you just don't want me to be happy", "your'e to good for him love" was her reply.
    It was 1966 and it was like family family at war.
    I was feeling my feet and I liked it. it must have been awful for my Mam but I couldn't see it, didn't want to see it.
    Wait till you have girls of your own then maybe you will think about what you put me through, so cocky was I " I'm not having kids"

John was my first boyfriend and in the Summer of Love 1967, I got pregnant!!!!
    By this time I had wised up to John's drinking and if I hadn't got pregnant would have thought twice about getting married, but I made my bed so I had to lay in it.

We got married in St. Ambose's, Prince Edwin St. The flower power movement was in full swing.
    My Mam took us in as we never had a penny to our name, and paid for the wedding.
    That my friends was the start of the worst time in my life, I didn't want to be pregnant, I had a violent drunk as a husband life could get no worse, so I thought. WRONG.

More to follow... Part 2

What a soap opera Lesley, and such a stark cliff hanger at the end. I think most mothers at the time acted the same way as your mam did. As the saying goes 'I didn't realise my Father was right, until I had a son who told me I was wrong'. Hopefully part 2 will contain elements of happiness.

Blog Entries

I'm not sure that I would want to tell my life story on this forum, but good look to you !

Blog Entries

BlueJeans Did you read my first thread... A little bit about me, it may help you understand my last thread alittle more.

Thanks

Just caught up with part 1. I havn't heard the saying 'costume' for years, my mam used to always say that. If ever she went out without a coat she would say 'I'm going out in my figure'.

Lesley what an awful time for you, I had a terrible time with my parents when I met my husband,they did'nt like him but could'nt tell me why, we eloped and got married and my mother said " I will give it 3 months" well, 45years later we still love each other to pieces, I am hoping your story has a nice ending. I hope you booted the drunk out and met a lovely guy who looks after you.
    Can't wait for part three.

Blog Entries

Without letting the cat out the bag, those bad times and I mean bad times made what I'am today.

Thanks for reading, its been like therapy telling my story, don't worry its not all doom and gloom.

Part three on it's way.

BlueJeans my Mam always said that she was going out in her figure or would comment that if the weather was nice, everyone would be out in their figures.
    Thanks for reminding me.

Blog Entries

its not all doom and gloom.
    Glad to hear it !