Thread: Mossley Manor

Default Mossley Manor

Hey guys.
    My wife asked me " what can you find out about mossley manor on north mossley hill road she works there and im a big lover of history so it was a matter of time for me to bite the bait.

All i have managed to find out is that it used to be some form of home for single mothers with children apparently from ireland (salvation army maternity home) , also kim catrell was apparently born there, the building is fascinating but it seems to be near impossible to find anything out about it, (it has a massive stained glass window in the front and a lovely staircase in the center if a big hall, the building has to have a history behind it but i cant seem to put my finger on it. If anyone knows anything and would like to share it would be doing me a massive favour as i am a bit lost now
    Kind Regards.
    Maurice.

Hello Maurice

What is the specific address? If you can give us the street number on North Mossley Hill Road hopefully one of our sleuths can find out more about the building.

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist
    Editor, Loch Raven Review
    http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/
    Chris on Flickr and on MySpace

just checked on google and its 6 north mossley hill road . my wife has worked there for about ten years and thought it was number 8
    thanks again.

I think that is where the nuns came from when I lived in the University Halls of rresidence across the street in 1965...

Was it a home run by the nuns earlier than the Salvation Army?

Kim Cattrall was born in 1956, but it doesn't sound like she had an unmarried mother.

She said that she's heard about nuns being there, and everything else has been told to her by residents as it is now a nursing home.

Blog Entries

A little homework for you Mo as the name 'mossley manor', is no help in searching the history. It seems to be the company name of the care home only.
    Those who know the area may be able to choose which of the buildings listed under the link below is the one in question...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grade_I..._Liverpool-L18

I think that whole block was St. Saviour's Convent

Blog Entries

From what I can gather it was orignally a house called 'Elmswood House', built between 1850 and 1890. As late as 1982 I can find a reference to the Salvation Army still calling it Elmswood House.

Pevesner (2006) describes it as: "Tudor Gothic in pale ashlar, with barge-boarded gables, oriel and a hugh square-headed, traceried stair window. This window apparently part of an extension, dated 1878 with the intials of Nicholas Duckworth (a cotton merchant) on the porch to the right. The first phase might be by Cornelius Sherlock. Further extensions and subdivisions for its present role."

There is a fleeting reference to the fact that Julia Lennon (Johns mother) may have been there for some time before her death, when it was a nursing home.

Thanks guys !, during my look into this I've seen mention of a Julia Lennon but I didn't want to assume anything with regards to john Lennon, as for the big window I think I need to take a look at it as it has a lot of writing on it, also there's mention of a boy going missing there, maybe just a rumor, who knows I guess?
    Thanks again everyone !!!

Hi Moe, if it is Elmswood house it was owned in the 1870'/80s by Nicholas Duckworth shipping broker there were a number of large houses around his being of 20 odd rooms or more. The census from those years only state Mossley hill no names and no numbers. The Liverpool Mercury records a marriage of Nicholas' daughter Sophia and gives her address as Elmswood house Mossley Hill.

I'm doing a little job across the road in Carnaic House,a new common room.

Default Elmswood Salvation Army

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	elmswood deliverer newspaper.JPG 
Views:	1037 
Size:	2.44 MB 
ID:	22921Click image for larger version. 

Name:	elmswood 1 and 2 001.jpg 
Views:	1379 
Size:	3.11 MB 
ID:	22922Click image for larger version. 

Name:	elmswood 1 and 2 002.jpg 
Views:	842 
Size:	3.99 MB 
ID:	22923

Elmswood has become one of the "Lost Childrens Homes" and played a big part in Liverpools history - yet trace of it is hard to find

It is indeed Mosslay Manor Nursing home. Attached are 2 photo's of the home as it is now - and one on an article from the Salvation Army's Newspaper of the 40's with a photo of the building and its almost unchanged

A reporter or someone needs to do an article on this home, there are stories here and accounts that form a part of Liverpool's heritage. I am not talking about a "Sean Ross Abbey" here - but nevertheless it is a heritage that is undocumented

BTW, the Salvation Army were VERY helpful in my research to find out more about this place. There is an SA historian and Librarian on their history -Kevin Pooley, a really good, helpful guy who bent over backwards to research and assist.

Derek

Thank you for all your help people ! It's nice to start seeing the history of the building, I love it, thanks again guys n gals

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GNASHER View Post
    I'm doing a little job across the road in Carnaic House,a new common room.
    Moe, do us all a favour. The next time your over meeting your wife have a look at how this new common room across the street is coming along.

Some history of the Duckworth family:

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb....Duckworth.html