Thread: Alldritt's of St Martins, Kirkdale, Bootle

Unhappy Alldritt's of St Martins, Kirkdale, Bootle

With alot of hard work and hair pulling i have researched a good deal of info about my Alldritt Family Tree in both Liverpool, Staffordshire and Dublin.
    But i have hit a brick wall, and would appreciate some help. My 2x Grandad was Henry Alldritt Born 1866 the 1911 census state he and his wife Annie where living in 20, Bostock St which also was a coal yard.
    Then a match on 'my heritage' website gave me a death date for Henry (which was a mystery), and part of the circumstances.
    Feb 21st 1928 ,SS Minnedosa, New Brunswick Canada. I know he was a Fireman on board ships- which puts him on the Minnedosa. but did he die on board, how would i find out (looked for crew list) is he buried in New Brunswick or was he brought back. I've searched, and failed.

could anyone shed any light??
    with many thanks
    Claire

Blog Entries

Of general interest;transported children etc....

http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.co...-07/1152017719

Close, but no cigar...

http://www.gjenvick.com/PassengerLis...Minnedosa.html

MINNEDOSA
    The "Minnedosa" was ordered by the Hamburg America Line in 1913, but was taken over by Canadian Pacific before completion. She was built by Barclay, Curle & Co Lts, Glasgow (engines by Harland & Wolff, Belfast)and was a 13,972 gross ton vessel, length 520ft x beam 67.2ft, two funnels, two masts, triple screw and a speed of 15 knots. There was accommodation for 550-cabin and 1,200-3rd class passengers. Although her keel was laid in 1913, she was not launched until 17/10/1917 and on 2/5/1918 was towed to Belfast to have her engines fitted. On 5/12/1918 she commenced her maiden voyage from Liverpool to St John, NB and on 13/12/1919 started a single round voyage from the UK to Bombay for the British government. On 21/6/1922 she commenced her first voyage from Antwerp to Southampton, Quebec and Montreal and in 1925 was refitted by Hawthorn, Leslie & Co Ltd, Hebburn-on-Tyne and her tonnage increased to 15,186 tons. In June 1926 she had accommodation for 206-cabin, 545-tourist and 590-3rd class passengers. She commenced her last Antwerp - Southampton - St John NB - Liverpool voyage on 30/3/1927 and was transferred to the Liverpool - Quebec - Montreal route on 29/4/1927. On 27/6/1931 she started her last transatlantic crossing from Glasgow to Quebec and Montreal (129 Atlantic round voyages) and was then laid up in the River Clyde. In April 1935 she was sold for scrapping and was towed to Savona, Italy, but was bought by Italia Line, renamed "Piemonte" and used as a troopship. On 15/8/1943 she was scuttled at Messina, salvaged in 1949 and towed to Spezia and scrapped. [North Atlantic Seaway by N.R.P.Bonsor, vol.3,p.1314] - [Posted to The ShipsList by Ted Finch - 16 February 1998]

From...

http://www.fortunecity.com/littleita...i/13/shipm.htm

---------- Post added at 07:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:30 PM ----------

Pictures of She...

http://www.greatships.net/minnedosa.html

---------- Post added at 07:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:11 PM ----------

There are some New Brunswick News Papers of that date listed here...

http://www.library.umaine.edu/canstu...EW%20BRUNSWICK

Hi the death of Henry Alldritt aged 62 is listed in the Maritime deaths register for the year 1928 aboard the Minnedosa. The reference page 34. I would suggest you try and obtain a copy of the death cert(please note the overseas death records may not be as complete as those that occurred in the UK) quote the following

GRO Marine Death Indices (1903-1965) Maritime deaths overseas 1928 page 34 name Alldritt Henry death aboard Minnedosa aged 62 years. Wishing you all the best in your search.

---------- Post added at 02:38 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:19 AM ----------

After some further research I don't know if you would get much more information but it's worth a try- I also found a Henry Alldritt in the 1911 census at a hospital(patient) he was a maritime worker.

Some info on overseas BMD's
    Q6. What will I see on an overseas certificate?

Due to the variety in format of overseas records, it depends on the type of record the certificate is produced from.

Normally the format of a birth certificate will include a date and place of birth, the child's name and the parent's names and surnames.

Marriage certificates, if the marriage took place in a British Consul or was registered by the British Forces the certificate will take a usual format of date and place of marriage and the names and surnames of the bride and groom. If however the marriage was one where a certificate was deposited with our records then it will be a certified copy of the original documents i.e. the certificate issued by the foreign country plus a translation, if applicable.

Death certificates will normally include date and place of death (in respect of war deaths this may just state the country), name and surname of the deceased and often the age at death or date of birth.

Q7. How much does an overseas certificate cost online?

Standard service

Full certificate with GRO index reference supplied £9.25
    Full certificate without GRO index reference supplied £9.25
    Additional full certificate issued at same time £9.25

Priority service
    24 hour service excluding weekends and Bank Holidays

Full certificate with GRO index reference supplied £23.40
    Full certificate without GRO index reference supplied £23.40
    Additional full certificate issued at same time £23.40

Big thank you to you both for all your help. I am in the process of order the Death Cert, which hopefully will provide me with information.

you've set the ball rolling again

Claire

Bostock Street from No.29 - 35 recorded on 7.3.1972 just prior to their demolition.

Use the scroll bar to see the full pic.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Ged,

Thanks for the pic of Bostock St. I've been on Google map trying to locate and view various addresses, and failing for redevelopment. seeing as my Alldritts lived in 2 properties on this street, its great to see, and its no surprise to see that its a 2 up 2 down Terrece-- seems to be a theme in my family on both sides of my tree.

Many thanks again for everyones help!

question?

I have received the Death Cert for Henry Alldritt. He died in The General Public Hospital in New Brunswick, Canada, of Perforation Intestine. Would the SS Minnedosa ship his body back to Liverpool, or would he have been buried in NB, Canada?

Many Thanks
    C

Hi Clare I will have a look and see if I can find anything, personally I think it highly unlikely that his body would have been brought back.

---------- Post added at 11:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:10 PM ----------

I have had a look at the Canadian National Archives and there is nothing listed for him sorry. You could perhaps try the hospital if it still exists but I would imagine the records are held somewhere. I have sent you a pm re his maritime service.Here is a pic of the hospital for your records.

you've been a great help Lily. I too found the image of the hospital. i found a maritime record on the @find my past' website. with a description of him, his job, etc-- could this been the same as the one you found? i'm lucky to have a friend that is from Nova Scotia, and travels back frequently, so i will call in a fav from her.

can i be a pain and ask if you have access to Kellys Directory. i believe its our version of the Thompson Local.
    For on the 1911 census Henry Alldritt's family address is 20 Bostock St. in his wife's Annie's section of 'work' it simply say's Coal Yard (Henry is in Hospital). the prev year they lived at No 8.

just curious to see if they where in a house, or was it a business?

C

Hi again I don't have the directories but I will ask some pals and see what they can find. I have looked up some shipping records and I am wondering now if Mr Aldritt was perhaps ill in the hospital for some time before his death, I enclose a piece which would indicate that perhaps that may have been the case: Edited later I see this has already been posted by Oudeis above but I have hilighted the relevent part.

MINNEDOSA
    The "Minnedosa" was ordered by the Hamburg America Line in 1913, but was taken over by Canadian Pacific before completion. She was built by Barclay, Curle & Co Lts, Glasgow (engines by Harland & Wolff, Belfast)and was a 13,972 gross ton vessel, length 520ft x beam 67.2ft, two funnels, two masts, triple screw and a speed of 15 knots. There was accommodation for 550-cabin and 1,200-3rd class passengers. Although her keel was laid in 1913, she was not launched until 17/10/1917 and on 2/5/1918 was towed to Belfast to have her engines fitted. On 5/12/1918 she commenced her maiden voyage from Liverpool to St John, NB and on 13/12/1919 started a single round voyage from the UK to Bombay for the British government. On 21/6/1922 she commenced her first voyage from Antwerp to Southampton, Quebec and Montreal and in 1925 was refitted by Hawthorn, Leslie & Co Ltd, Hebburn-on-Tyne and her tonnage increased to 15,186 tons. In June 1926 she had accommodation for 206-cabin, 545-tourist and 590-3rd class passengers. She commenced her last Antwerp - Southampton - St John NB - Liverpool voyage on 30/3/1927 and was transferred to the Liverpool - Quebec - Montreal route on 29/4/1927. On 27/6/1931 she started her last transatlantic crossing from Glasgow to Quebec and Montreal (129 Atlantic round voyages) and was then laid up in the River Clyde. In April 1935 she was sold for scrapping and was towed to Savona, Italy, but was bought by Italia Line, renamed "Piemonte" and used as a troopship. On 15/8/1943 she was scuttled at Messina, salvaged in 1949 and towed to Spezia and scrapped. [North Atlantic Seaway by N.R.P.Bonsor, vol.3,p.1314] - [Posted to The ShipsList by Ted Finch - 16 February 1998]

Cheers

Lily

Information from friend with directories:

1911 Gores 69b Bostock Street Henry Alldritt coal dealer, 1911 census Alldritts residing at 20 Bostock Street, 69 Bostock street Askew family cowkeepers and Kelly family bakers, 69b coal yard no residence attached. Hope it helps.

Cheers