Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why 08's boring

Cadfael

The 08 celebrations will do one thing for Liverpool, and that's leave it like a ghost town when it's all over.

People are going to think that 2008 is going to be amazing and a full year long party, when in reality, you could probably see more of our heritage opened up in the Heritage Weekend in September than all year round in Liverpool.

On the plus side, the council are fitting new kerb stones to Edge Lane so that'll sort the traffic out....

I'd wondered the same thing for a couple of years now, especially since we seem to be losing our culture - nearly lost the Summer Pops and the Mathew St Festival in the same year, losing big pieces of history in the Planet lightship and the Manchester Dock, just to name a few.

But yes, we should be glad they've re-paved Church St as part of the celebrations

PhilipG

Capital of Culture is not about architecture.

I can see lots of 'high rise,(is that the right term) luxury flats' collecting dust or are there going to be an influx of millionares into the city?

Why is it that all these developers have to build so high? do they all have to be contendors for Skyscraper City or is it to be bigger than the 'joanses' (sp)?

How many of OUR liverpudlians can afford the prices that are being asked?

Four questions !!! I think its bed-time
    Nite all
    Phredd
    In the days when we had nothing we had fun.
    If tomorrow starts without me, remember I was here.

kat2

Philip, I think you will find it is inclusive of architecture, after all what makes a great city, the last capital of culture they talked about its architecture.
    With regards to the Phredd, and high rise, I suppose its about real estate when you think about it? simply put how can I maximise return on a given peice of land in an area of outstanding importance? if they built a low rise building on the same spot no one could afford it! ** so, by building high you maximise your return for a popular spot.
    this in turn has a knock on effect because, it will certainly be in the higher council tax band, which has to be good for the city, Liverpool like wirral has too many homes in the lower council tax band, which is good for the likes or you and I, but not good for a city council trying to maximise input revenue to support the citys needs?
    hope that makes some economic sense?
    kat

Kat
    I may be way out of my depth here but how in Gods name can you collect, and make money, from a flat that no bug*er can afford ?

I will carry on living in my luxury VW Kamper Van

My education was 'approved' but my maths stunk.

Phredd (see I cannot spell Fred)

Default European Capital of Culture 2008

The central theme of Liverpool’s bid was ‘The World in One City’ complemented by the 3 supporting themes of Create: a new expression of 21st century British culture; Participate: a culture defined through participation; and Regenerate: a city made whole through cultural expression.

Quote Originally Posted by Max View Post
    Well I can burn something.
    Max you're a true Scouser - anarchic and surreal !!!

kat2

phredd, just because the building is empty doesnt mean the council doesnt collect on it! ** the building is after all owned. Howie, yes, multicuturalism, *smile*, to do with bringing people of different back grounds together through a common medium, that medium, "city of liverpool"
    kat

Besides, the council get more than enough council tax of everyone else. But no, I think Kat's right - the owner still pays council tax even when the property is empty.

But if you meant nobody is collecting rent or making money on the property... well, that's the concern of the owners/developers, not us.

I may be a little late in contributing to this debate, but I only joined today!

My view about 08 has always been that it is less about the Capital of Culture and more about the Culture of Capital. At the end of the day, it's about people who have money making more of it, and stuff the rest.

John(Zappa)

Quote Originally Posted by Stevie M View Post

My view about 08 has always been that it is less about the Capital of Culture and more about the Culture of Capital. At the end of the day, it's about people who have money making more of it, and stuff the rest.
    I agree

What a nice way of telling the truth. Well said that man.
    Phredd

yes, that's probably true

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12