Thread: Please help me trace my Grandfather Robert WEBSTER's parentage (b abt 1882)

Question Please help me trace my Grandfather Robert WEBSTER's parentage (b abt 1882)

I am trying to trace the family of my Grandfather Robert Webster b 1881/82 in Liverpool according to the 1911 Census.

I have 1907 marriage Certificate to Gertrude Morton Threlfall at St Philips Church - both residing with the Johnson family at 30 Halsbury Road at the time of their marriage. Robert is a Drainer and his father is stated as Robert - Team owner (although this is the bit that does not match anything at all). The witnesses names are hard to read but may be Tom Linacre and Elizabeth Gartridge (surnames are pure guesses)

I can track his whereabouts from 1907 onwards but absolutely NOTHING before that. Please help if you can. In 1911 there was a Lodger staying with them called Lizzie Austin, age 18, single and a Waitress in a Restaurant.

Family folklore has him having at least one brother - possibly Tom or Joe (or both) and one of them may have been a Mariner or even a Sea Captain.

There were supposed to be two sisters possibly quite a bit younger than my Grandfather Robert. Neither married but one was supposed to have had an illegitimate child around the time of WW1. Child called ALBERT and may have gone into the Church as a Minister. The sisters MAY have been called Annie and Adelaide - but again no one is certain.

I have found his grave in West Derby Cemetery - but he is buried with his wife and two of his daughters - there is no link to any other family.

I have also tried the trade directories but nothing matches - the years are all out.
    I have ordered all the birth certificates from the era and none have a father of Robert also being Robert - hence my difficulty.

So can anyone help? Does anyone recognise my Grandmothers name or the people they were living with at the time of their marriage? What about the Lodger Lizzie Austin?

How about his brother(s) Joe and/or Tom the possible Mariner?

The two sisters Annie and Adelaide? What about the illegitimate child Albert? Did he marry and have children who may know more of the family history????

Any hints at all would be very useful. The only three pictures I have of him are posted here.

Thanks LY
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rober Webster and brother.jpg 
Views:	383 
Size:	265.2 KB 
ID:	22451   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Robert Webster (grandad).jpg 
Views:	359 
Size:	435.0 KB 
ID:	22452   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Robert Webster and Gertrude pic.jpg 
Views:	362 
Size:	44.3 KB 
ID:	22453  

Hi LinbyLou,
    There is only 1 Robert Webster on the 1901 census some of his siblings names fit but not the fathers

George Webster 1846 Gen Labourer b Woolton
    Jane " 1847 b Wolverhampton
    Joseph 1872 gen lab b Woolton
    Samuel A bricklayers lab
    Ann Mary 1877 b Wavertree
    Robert 1882 b Wavertree
    Walter 1885 "
    Eliza Lilian 1887 "
    Adelaide 1892 "

49, Ashworth St Wavertree

Birth
    Albert Webster ( birth mother Webster )
    September 1915 West Derby Liverpool 8b 543

Regards
    Dot

Hi Dot - thanks for that
    I am starting to get the feeling that something must be wrong on my grandfathers marriage certificate. e.g. the name of his father!!!
    I will look into the one you have suggested and see whether I can eliminate them (or not!) It certainly matches the family folklore - but I just don't understand why the wrong fther would be on the marriage certificate.... any thoughts on that, or have you come across anything like it before?
    Lyn

Hi LinbyLou,
    It could be a simple case of the transcriber putting the wrong name down in this case possibly twice with the name of Robert, i have had some with simple names transcribed wrongly, this may be the case if this is the right family.
    Dot

Thanks Dot
    That could be the answer and the reason I am getting nowhere fast!
    Lyn

This is the christening of the Robert Webster that Dot found
    18th July 1881 St Peters ,Liverpool Robert Webster ...son of George and Jane

I can only find one possible but it is 6 years earlier

Robert Webster christened 1st November 1875 St Peter,Liverpool ...parents ROBERT and Janet (born 10th october )

there are 64 records on Record Pilot for Robert Webster born in Liverpool.....the above 2 are the only ones around 1875 to 1885 ...............allan

Hi Allan
    thanks for your help, I have already got the birth cert that dot found but the 1875 one is new to me.
    I have also just discovered that they were buried in the NON-CONFORMIST portion of the cemetery and we think they were Methodists. Does that help any with the christening????? Did they have their own chapels and christenings?
    Lyn