Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Help with a Liverpool ghosts and hauntings book

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cadfael View Post
    Be interesting to read your Williamson book seeing as the last one was utter tripe. Did you get your sources from the usual places, Richard WE, Charles Hand, James Stonehouse?
    Which last one is that then?

Quote Originally Posted by researchwriter View Post
    Which last one is that then?
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-lis...4/ref=dp_olp_2

'Years of research'. And 99% of it 'hearsay' and 'stories'.

Blog Entries

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-lis...4/ref=dp_olp_2

'Years of research'. And 99% of it 'hearsay' and 'stories'.
    Oh, I hadn't heard of that before. I take it you wouldn't recommend it then?

My little article is unlikely to knock the socks off anyone already familiar with Mr. Williamson and his life's work. It's an updated version of an piece that was originally published in Strange Attractor Volume Three back in 2006. Hopefully, it will be an interesting and pleasant little bonus though, especially with the new illustrations and everything.

So far as getting my sources from the "usual places" goes; yeah, I suppose I did looking at the short list you've given. My end notes/references for the original article read thusly:

[1] Charles R. Hand: Joseph Williamson “The King Of Edge Hill” (Transactions of the Historical Society of Lancashire and Cheshire 1927).
    [2] The Story (www.williamsonstunnels.com).
    [3] The Story (www.williamsonstunnels.com).
    [4] Richard Whittington-Egan: Joseph Williamson Maker Of Catacombs.
    [5] Richard Whittington-Egan: Joseph Williamson Maker Of Catacombs.
    [6] The Story (www.williamsonstunnels.com).
    [7] The Story (www.williamsonstunnels.com).
    [8] Richard Whittington-Egan: Joseph Williamson Maker Of Catacombs.
    [9] James Stonehouse: The Streets Of Liverpool (1869).
    [10] Richard Whittington-Egan: Joseph Williamson Maker Of Catacombs.
    [11] James Stonehouse: The Streets Of Liverpool (1869).
    [12] The Story (www.williamsonstunnels.com).
    [13] Charles R. Hand: Joseph Williamson “The King Of Edge Hill” (Transactions of the Historical Society of Lancashire and Cheshire 1927).
    [14] Charles R. Hand: Joseph Williamson “The King Of Edge Hill” (Transactions of the Historical Society of Lancashire and Cheshire 1927).
    [15] Tom Slemen: Haunted Liverpool 2, page 59 (Bluecoat Press, Liverpool 2000).
    [16] Charles R. Hand: Joseph Williamson “The King Of Edge Hill” (Transactions of the Historical Society of Lancashire and Cheshire 1927).
    [17] Email interview with Frank Hodges (FOWT Company Secretary and Membership Secretary).
    [18] Email interview with Frank Hodges (FOWT Company Secretary and Membership Secretary).
    [19] The Story (www.williamsonstunnels.com).
    [20] FOWT Information Pack, page 20 (2001).

With thanks to Chris Sharples (FOWT Chairman) for all his assistance.

Oh, I hadn't heard of that before. I take it you wouldn't recommend it then?

My little article is unlikely to knock the socks off anyone already familiar with Mr. Williamson and his life's work. It's an updated version of an piece that was originally published in Strange Attractor Volume Three back in 2006. Hopefully, it will be an interesting and pleasant little bonus though, especially with the new illustrations and everything.

So far as getting my sources from the "usual places" goes; yeah, I suppose I did looking at the short list you've given. My end notes/references for the original article read thusly:
    You've gone to some good sources there. I know Chris and Frank personally (via the FOWT) so they'll have given lots of information and of course the website is a wealth of information too.

I'm in the middle of doing 'the' book on Williamson and the Tunnels too at the moment. I've been a guide at the Paddington/House section for many years now and saw the Heritage Centre when it was still the Stable Yard (see my www.smithdownlane.com)

Good luck with it!

Blog Entries

I don't hold much hope for your book Cad if your research techniques led you to believe Researchwriter was David Clensy - a bloke who lives in Bristol and seems to live his life exclusively for his own self-promotion.

Quote Originally Posted by fortinian View Post
    I don't hold much hope for your book Cad if your research techniques led you to believe Researchwriter was David Clensy - a bloke who lives in Bristol and seems to live his life exclusively for his own self-promotion.

I've not once said that RW is David Clensy??

I've not once said that RW is David Clensy??
    In fact, going by his new blog on Haunted Liverpool, researchwriter is John Reppion, described as a "Freelance writer of articles, short stories and comic books."

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist
    Editor, Loch Raven Review
    http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/
    Chris on Flickr and on MySpace

Blog Entries

Quote:
    Originally Posted by researchwriter View Post
    I am very pleased to report that I am now taking pre-orders for the the special edition of 800 Years of Haunted Liverpool (limited to 26 lettered and 24 numbered copies) featuring an exclusive bookplate by artist Mo Ali and signed by myself.

Also included is a special bonus article “The Underground Empire of Joseph Williamson” in the form of a handmade booklet signed by myself and its illustrator Leah Moore.

Each volume costs £9.99 (plus postage and packing).

Click on the banner above to reserve your copy (books will ship in early July 2008).

Cheers.
    Be interesting to read your Williamson book seeing as the last one was utter tripe. Did you get your sources from the usual places, Richard WE, Charles Hand, James Stonehouse?
    Maybe I mis-read this Cad. I thought you implied that RWs last book was utter tripe - then linked to David Clensys book page!

I haven't seen Clensys book or RWs but i'm looking forward to it.

Quote Originally Posted by fortinian View Post
    Maybe I mis-read this Cad. I thought you implied that RWs last book was utter tripe - then linked to David Clensys book page!

I haven't seen Clensys book or RWs but i'm looking forward to it.
    Haha you really think I would insult another member of Yo as direct as that?

Nope, you've misread, I've only seen DC's book and THAT was tripe.
    RW clearly has researched information on the new book and I'm looking forward to a read of that.

Blog Entries

Ho ho... sorry Cad! I thought it was a little out of character for you to insult someone like that, I got rather defensive on RWs part!

Blog Entries

Blimey! Sorry to have caused any confusion chaps. My name is John Reppion as Chris rightly said. Thanks for jumping in anyway Fortinian, nice to know who's on your side if it comes to a fight. And cheers to you too Cadfael, I didn't know you were involved with the FOWT. Make sure you keep us up to date with the book too, I'll look forward to that.

Blimey! Sorry to have caused any confusion chaps. My name is John Reppion as Chris rightly said. Thanks for jumping in anyway Fortinian, nice to know who's on your side if it comes to a fight. And cheers to you too Cadfael, I didn't know you were involved with the FOWT. Make sure you keep us up to date with the book too, I'll look forward to that.
    all round hehe.

Yeah, I've been in every accessible part of the network, including the Triple Decker tunnel - which about 20 people have ever seen since the 1800's.
    Any other info you need, shout!

Blog Entries

800 Years of Haunted Liverpool will be officially launched at the Unity Theatre in Liverpool on Saturday the 5th of July 2008 between 6 and 8pm. The Unity bar is fully licensed with Cains Bitter on tap *slurp*.

I'll do my very best to give a short talk giving a bit of background on how the book came about and what it was like to work on. Limited edition copies of 800 Years of Haunted Liverpool will also be on sale for £9.99.

If you do plan on coming, please post here or drop me an email at haunted_liverpool@btinternet.com, as places will be limited.

Looking forward to seeing you there!

-----------------------

Also, if you're still undecided as to whether you fancy investing in a copy of the 800 Years..., you can pick up a copy of Fortean Times Magazine #238 at the end of this month which will feature an excerpt from the book all about the infamous Spring Heeled Jack and his visits to Liverpool.

More info and updates over at www.hauntedliverpool.blogspot.com

Cheers!
    Comments? Questions? Subjects you'd like to see covered here?
    email me

Visit my website:
    moorereppion.com

Very good, John. Good luck with the book launch!

I've given your book a plug on a couple of Ripper forums.

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist
    Editor, Loch Raven Review
    http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/
    Chris on Flickr and on MySpace

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisGeorge View Post
    Very good, John. Good luck with the book launch!

I've given your book a plug on a couple of Ripper forums.

Chris
    Cheers Chris, very much appreciated.
    Comments? Questions? Subjects you'd like to see covered here?
    email me

Visit my website:
    moorereppion.com

Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast