Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Help with a Liverpool ghosts and hauntings book

Blog Entries

Default Help with a Liverpool ghosts and hauntings book

Hi all,
    As some of you might already have read in this thread, I'm currently working on some sample chapters for a book about Liverpool's ghosts and hauntings (not in any way connected to Tom Slemen's work).

I'd love to hear from anyone who has any ghostly accounts of their own to share or some haunted places they'd like to recommend for inclusion.

I'm aiming to make the book as factual as possible, including as much of the documented history of the buildings/areas/people as I can find and interviewing witnesses personally if possible.

Obviously, I can't give too much away about what I'm working on but, if you're interested in seeing a sample of my work, you can read my article about The Childe Of Hale on the Fortean Times website HERE

Thanks in advance for your help.

Cheers.

DaisyChains

hiya
    I am sorry to be vague, but I know one of the houses on Princes Avenue/Road were haunted.
    I am sure it's near Princes Park gates somewhere

Blog Entries

I found mention of a poltergeist in Madryn Street (one of the Welsh Streets) during the 90's online but, other than that, the only haunted Toxteth stuff I've turned up thus far is some of Tom Slemen's work (which I definitely don't want to use as a source).

Default tom will fix it for you

Tell tom what you want to hear and he'll make sure the story fits wahtever you want,

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SteveFaragher View Post
    Tell tom what you want to hear and he'll make sure the story fits whatever you want.
    Yeah well, I certainly have no intention of questioning the validity of Mr. Slemen's work publically - he's written a lot of books and articles and people are obviously interested in what he has to say. However, many of the stories he writes (especially those related to hauntings and anomalies) are very difficult to find other evidence for (such as newspaper articles, etc). Also, all of his work is copywrited so, even if I did want to use him as a source, I couldn't.

At the moment I'm specifically interested in any hauntings or ghostly encounters in north and east Liverpool. Haunted pubs anyone? Some of you must know a landlord or two surely?

PhilipG

A lot of people have a deep-seated need to believe in the fantastic (and unbelievable).
    I don't understand this need, but it prevents them from attempting to listen to any sort of logical explanation for their outrageous claims.
    I suppose it's best not to try to enter into a "discussion" with them.
    Last edited by PhilipG; 08-18-2007 at 08:57 AM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PhilipG View Post
    A lot of people have a deep-seated need to believe in the fantastic (and unbelievable).
    I don't understand this need, but it prevents them from attempting to listen to any sort of logical explanation for their outrageous claims.
    I suppose it's best not to try to enter into a "discussion" with them.
    Not quite sure what promoted that Phil as no one's actually made any fantastic claims here (more's the pity). I've got no particular beliefs of my own concerning ghosts and the supernatural but I think that strange or unexplained phenomena can often be very interesting. I'm all for investigating such cases, I don't think things should just be blindly believed. However, if someone genuinely believes they have had a supernatural experience then it's a reality to them and I'm definitely not in favor of trying to talk people out of their beliefs, however much I might disagree.

The Punch Bowl in Thornton, Sefton is supposed to be one of the most haunted pubs in Britain but the only spirits I've ever seen in there were behind the bar on a shelf. Perhaps only certain susceptible people are privy to seeing them, of which i'm not one.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Cadfael

Funny this thread has come up while I've been watching a DVD with Richard Felix and his UK Ghost Tour.

For what it's worth, I have seen a ghost - or something that would explain it as a ghost and it scared the crap out of me, but at the same time, gave me comfort that there is something in the afterlife. I can recall the story like it was yesterday and am a rational person who just wasnt expecting what I saw.

Believing in ghosts has nothing to do with religion at all or the need for something fantastic. But I also believe that some people don't have the (if this is the right word), 'ability' to ever see a ghost.

If you think ghosts don't exist (and people are welcome to believe what they see until they are proved othewise), take a dog in to a well known haunted location and see how they react. They'll normally chew through their own leg to get out of there.

Tell us more Jona (if you wanna)

I'm a sceptic but open minded all the same (mainly because my missus said she's seen one and when she enquired about it to her parents/grandparents when they were all living together - it was hushed up) besides, she'd kill me if I called her a liar.

She's been told at a reading that she is 'spiritual/open to these things' without her mentioning it. (though don't get me started on mediums or psychics either ha ha)

The thing is, I don't necessarily believe that these ghosts or people who have passed on have the choice or not whether they make a re-show. My dad told me he'd show back up if possible, he was very philisophical about his impending death (even arranging his own wake, funeral and thank you verse) , - he hasn't shown so far and it's been 19 years, perhaps a ghost is in turmoil?
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Cadfael

Happened around the time of my nan's death. I was taking a drink in the kitchen in our house. We live in a small semi so the downstairs rooms are the lounge and the kitchen/diner is another room.

By the sink there is a window and the blind was pulled down. The only light that was on was in the lounge and all blinds downstairs were pulled.

I was the only chap in the house and was getting a drink when going up to bed when I noticed a figure (shadow of a person) move across the window. At first I thought that there was someone outside and they were going to break in (good luck to em!) but then the shadow then moved to the inside wall next to the window - so it would be impossible to be cast from outside directly. There was no one in the house and there was no one walking past outside as the blinds were pulled. I started to go very cold at this point - not because of what I had seen, but the room got cold - I sensed I had seen something strange and naffed off to bed quick time!

The next night, I set up the blinds like it was the previous night and noticed that I could recreate the shadow when I walked in the lounge but could only cast part of the shadow on the inner wall - whatever it was had clearly either gone through the kitchen or was walking in the lounge casting the shadow.

To this day I've no idea what it was, but I can tell you that it was the figure of someone's shadow going past me.

Quote Originally Posted by Ged View Post
    The Punch Bowl in Thornton, Sefton is supposed to be one of the most haunted pubs in Britain but the only spirits I've ever seen in there were behind the bar on a shelf. Perhaps only certain susceptible people are privy to seeing them, of which i'm not one.

Interesting story, Cadfael. Thanks so much for sharing it. I would be inclined to think that you really did experience something.

In regard to your post, Ged, similarly when I toured part of Battlecrease House, the former Maybrick mansion on Riversdale Road, Aigburth, at the time of the 2003 Ripper convention at the Adelphi, the tenant told us that he had experienced something when he drank Stella Artois! A facetious reply, of course.

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist
    Editor, Loch Raven Review
    http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/
    Chris on Flickr and on MySpace

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ged View Post
    Cheers Ged, I'll look into that.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cadfael View Post
    Happened around the time of my nan's death. I was taking a drink in the kitchen in our house. We live in a small semi so the downstairs rooms are the lounge and the kitchen/diner is another room.

By the sink there is a window and the blind was pulled down. The only light that was on was in the lounge and all blinds downstairs were pulled.

I was the only chap in the house and was getting a drink when going up to bed when I noticed a figure (shadow of a person) move across the window. At first I thought that there was someone outside and they were going to break in (good luck to em!) but then the shadow then moved to the inside wall next to the window - so it would be impossible to be cast from outside directly. There was no one in the house and there was no one walking past outside as the blinds were pulled. I started to go very cold at this point - not because of what I had seen, but the room got cold - I sensed I had seen something strange and naffed off to bed quick time!

The next night, I set up the blinds like it was the previous night and noticed that I could recreate the shadow when I walked in the lounge but could only cast part of the shadow on the inner wall - whatever it was had clearly either gone through the kitchen or was walking in the lounge casting the shadow.

To this day I've no idea what it was, but I can tell you that it was the figure of someone's shadow going past me.
    Thanks for sharing that Cadfael. It's funny just how many people seem to have had these smaller, urban experiences. I think it's stuff that gets written off very often but there must be a reason why people remember these experiences years later. Whereabouts were you living at the time by the way?

Blog Entries

By the way, my proposal was accepted so I'm definitely writing the book now. All help greatly appreciated.

Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast