Page 6 of 20 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Help with a Liverpool ghosts and hauntings book

Quote Originally Posted by PhilipG View Post
    It's interesting to have some clue about what Librarians think of Slemen's fans.

Another Slemen mystery.

Where is book No.3?

The answer will be in Haunted Liverpool 19.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Haha, I remember on the Pricey show that he said he and his publishers agreed that they would stop at Haunted Liverpool 10.
    Gididi Gididi Goo.

Why kill the cash cow
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Quote Originally Posted by Ged View Post
    Why kill the cash cow
    Good point, theres many gullible Liverpudlians well Into him.
    Gididi Gididi Goo.

Quote Originally Posted by Ged View Post
    Another Slemen mystery.

Where is book No.3?

The answer will be in Haunted Liverpool 19.

There's one copy in my house. . . .

Blog Entries

I braved the weird world of local radio today for the first time ever. The results can be heard here http://hauntedliverpool.blogspot.com/2008/...-bbc-radio.html. It didn't go too badly but I think I should maybe have talked about ghosts a bit more.
    Comments? Questions? Subjects you'd like to see covered here?
    email me

Visit my website:
    moorereppion.com

Quote Originally Posted by researchwriter View Post
    Yeah, it rings a bell - I think Ged might be right that it's a Slemen-ism.

I've shifted 66 books in total so far and I'm going to be doing another signing very soon.
    Congratulations, John. We can't all be Tom Slemen! Keep up the good work.

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist
    Editor, Loch Raven Review
    http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/
    Chris on Flickr and on MySpace

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AntiPathos View Post
    Well done on getting this published. I suppose CoC helped some(?). I've read a few bits you have written and it's clear that you do know how to assemble words on pages in a thoroughly legible manner.

It's a pity that this isn't listed on Amazon because I have really been looking forward to another dazzling review by "Cryptid Frank", whose views of other Liverpool author's books are so enlightening. Frankie doesn't much like other people writing about Liverpool and it's ghosts but he sure loves his Tom Slemen books!!!

Hang on a minute. . . No, surely not ... it can't be. Can it? He wouldn't. Would he? Nah... That's beneath him.

...or is it?

AP.
    Well, guess what. He's only gone and done it! Yes Crytid Frank has given my book one star on Amazon and called it a "pale imitation of Slemen".

Now I know that we'd joked about it happening previously and it is quite funny so long as you're in on the gag but sadly most people aren't and obviously it's not good for me to have my only review on Amazon be a negative one. Therefore, can I appeal to all you generous folk here who have already purchased a copy of the book to perhaps take a few moments to leave an HONEST review please? Cheers.

In other (slightly less controversial) 800 Years of haunted Liverpool news: I have an article in #27 of the new, re-launched Paranormal Magazine which covers some of the smaller stories which didn't make it into the book. Also, I was interviewed by Roy Basnett on City Talk FM last week which went pretty well (although I "uhm"ed and "ah"ed a bit too much). You can listen to the interview online now at http://hauntedliverpool.blogspot.com/

Thanks again to everyone here for all their help and support; I genuinely could not have written this book without you . In closing, I feel a quote from Crytid Frank's review might be appropriate: "In some cases the author does not cite first-hand research, but Wikipedia and even a FORUM(!) for his sources"; imagine that! A forum of all things! Whatever next?
    email me

Visit my website:
    moorereppion.com

Read the book and enjoyed the read.

Felt spooked a bit going home from Formby beach after reading about black dogs though. I get spooked at night alot anyway though just because It's dark haha.

Enjoyed reading about some local history In the book too about the history of the areas you covered.

Would you ever try another Liverpool ghost stories book?

Glad It's not It's not written like a fairytale like Lemens books, after my experiences with Lemen(won;t post any stories though about It, unless your curious enough to PM me) chances are that's him writing the review. No wonder he hasn't finished his Ripper book after 7 years.

He posted this review on Billy Roberts book too.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/review/produ...DateDescending
    Last edited by Max; 08-08-2008 at 01:30 AM.
    Gididi Gididi Goo.

Blog Entries

Cheers Max. Very glad to hear that you enjoyed the book mate. A bit of spookage is always a good sign too; makes me feel I've done my job.

I don't think I'd write another book about Liverpool's ghosts because the market is a bit flooded to be honest. However, I'll definitely continue to write about the region's history, folklore and all that kind of thing.
    email me

Visit my website:
    moorereppion.com

I've received your book today from Amazon (or rather a seller on Amazon's marketplace). Looking forward to reading it

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Last Of The Timelords View Post
    I've received your book today from Amazon (or rather a seller on Amazon's marketplace). Looking forward to reading it
    Excellent news! Hope you enjoy the book mate.
    email me

Visit my website:
    moorereppion.com

Glad some other, more objective people, have reviewed the book, research writer.
    I notice in cryptic's review of your book, he manages to mention Slemen's name 5 times - how strange!!! I clicked to see the other 8 books he has reviewed - nearly all ghost books on Liverpool (bad reviews with recommendations to read Tom Slemen) with one review of Pete Price's biography (bad review) and one on Tom Slemen's vampire book (5 stars!)
    Uncanny!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by julieoapw View Post
    Glad some other, more objective people, have reviewed the book, research writer.
    I notice in cryptic's review of your book, he manages to mention Slemen's name 5 times - how strange!!! I clicked to see the other 8 books he has reviewed - nearly all ghost books on Liverpool (bad reviews with recommendations to read Tom Slemen) with one review of Pete Price's biography (bad review) and one on Tom Slemen's vampire book (5 stars!)
    Uncanny!
    Yes thanks julie, it's nice to know that there are people out there who have enjoyed the book enough to leave a review and they've all been very positive barring Mr Frank's.

By the way, I'm going to be giving a talk and signing copies of 800 Years of Haunted Liverpool for the Liverpool Holistic Circle on Tuesday the 9th of September 2008.

The Liverpool Holistic Circle meets at 7.30pm every Tuesday evening at the Rosicrucian Chapter, 19, Dovedale Road, Liverpool, L18 1DN.

There will be no charge for attending the talk and books will be selling for ?9.99 each. If you are planning on attending please contact the LHO as spaces will be limited. I hope to see some of you there.

Cheers.
    email me

Visit my website:
    moorereppion.com

Talking

lo
    Quote Originally Posted by research writer View Post
    Hi all,
    As some of you might already have read in this thread, I'm currently working on some sample chapters for a book about Liverpool's ghosts and hauntings (not in any way connected to Tom Slemen work).

I'd love to hear from anyone who has any ghostly accounts of their own to share or some haunted places they'd like to recommend for inclusion.

I'm aiming to make the book as factual as possible, including as much of the documented history of the buildings/areas/people as I can find and interviewing witnesses personally if possible.

Obviously, I can't give too much away about what I'm working on but, if you're interested in seeing a sample of my work, you can read my article about The Childe Of Hale on the Fortean Times website HERE

Thanks in advance for your help.

Cheers.

Page 6 of 20 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast