I lived facing No.1 for almost 14 years and back in the 80s it was a solictors, Benn & Twyfords I think. Anyway, it holds a plaque describing it as Liverpool's finist surviving example of a Georgian Merchant House - built in 1790. I'm slightly surprised at this as I have seen other fine examples but I don't know which criteria they use.

Anyway, upon gaining entry I was delighted to find it still possessed many original features and had not been knocked into sterile plasterboarded flats, possibly because it's listed.

It was once owned by John Houghton, a distiller whose distillary stood adjacent to it, this building being the Bull Inn. Spirits were important goods in the trade with Africa though it's not known that any of Houghtons business was included in that as he put money into the nearby Christ Church which stood near the top of Hunter Street.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

The last shot is looking across to my old address, the caretakers house to Blackburn Chambers at No.4 Trueman Street. I noticed they've boxed the fire escape stairs in that lead to the main roof.