Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GEORGIAN MERCHANT HOUSES

Default GEORGIAN MERCHANT HOUSES

I lived facing No.1 for almost 14 years and back in the 80s it was a solictors, Benn & Twyfords I think. Anyway, it holds a plaque describing it as Liverpool's finist surviving example of a Georgian Merchant House - built in 1790. I'm slightly surprised at this as I have seen other fine examples but I don't know which criteria they use.

Anyway, upon gaining entry I was delighted to find it still possessed many original features and had not been knocked into sterile plasterboarded flats, possibly because it's listed.

It was once owned by John Houghton, a distiller whose distillary stood adjacent to it, this building being the Bull Inn. Spirits were important goods in the trade with Africa though it's not known that any of Houghtons business was included in that as he put money into the nearby Christ Church which stood near the top of Hunter Street.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

The last shot is looking across to my old address, the caretakers house to Blackburn Chambers at No.4 Trueman Street. I noticed they've boxed the fire escape stairs in that lead to the main roof.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

[QUOTE=Ged;356710]I lived facing No.1 for almost 14 years and back in the 80s it was a solictors, Benn & Twyfords I think. Anyway, it holds a plaque describing it as Liverpool's finist surviving example of a Georgian Merchant House - built in 1790. I'm slightly surprised at this as I have seen other fine examples but I don't know which criteria they use.

Anyway, upon gaining entry I was delighted to find it still possessed many original features and had not been knocked into sterile plasterboarded flats, possibly because it's listed.

http://img811.imageshack.us/img811/6...merchants9.jpg

Not Georgian junk mail as well?

nice pics Ged. a lovely building by the looks of it. the only thing spoiling the decor is the ugly surface run wiring to the Emergency lighting and fire Alarm systems, you would have thought that it would have been a requirement to have had it installed within the fabric of the building in such a historic building..nevertheless its clearly still an architectural gem

collegepudding

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by collegepudding View Post
    nice pics Ged. a lovely building by the looks of it. the only thing spoiling the decor is the ugly surface run wiring to the Emergency lighting and fire Alarm systems, you would have thought that it would have been a requirement to have had it installed within the fabric of the building in such a historic building..nevertheless its clearly still an architectural gem

collegepudding
    I can only repeat CP's comments. Speechless, now that building is beautiful.I might add that your past family home has it's own beauty.
    Many thanks, Ged, this could become a great thread.
    Regards to Grekko and CP, too,
    Chas

Thanks chas.
    That area appears to be steeped in history cos i have heard that the site opposite,currently occupied by Blackburn Chambers where Ged used to live, has a great claim to fame....no not just cos Ged used to have residence there...although i am sure a plaque will be erected there one day in his honour
    Ged can probably explain better but ,it seems that prior to the construction of Blackburn chambers there existed a street called Chorley Court and here was born a certain Mr Robert morris 1734-1806,he emigrated to america aged 13,and i can tell you if you havnt heard his name before then check out Wiki, beleive me you will be amazed .

collegepudding

Thanks all.

Chorley Court with thanks to Colin Wilkinson.

The billiard hall you are looking at through the gap was on Dale Street where now stands the Queensway tunnel.

---------- Post added at 12:18 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:16 AM ----------

Chorley Chambers in 1932, recorded as it was about to be demolished to allow for the building of the Blackburn Assurance Building.

---------- Post added at 12:21 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:18 AM ----------

One of a series taken to record the building of where I was eventually live some 50 years later. (LRO)

Blog Entries

Lightbulb

Hi CP,
    Looked up William Morris as you suggested and you're correct, he's certainly an icon of his time. PM you tomorrow.
    Looking forward to more Georgian house photos.
    Sodolitas,
    Chas

---------- Post added at 01:05 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:58 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Ged View Post
    Thanks all.

The billiard hall you are looking at through the gap was on Dale Street where now stands the Queensway tunnel.

---------- Post added at 12:18 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:16 AM ----------

Chorley Chambers in 1932, recorded as it was about to be demolished to allow for the building of the Blackburn Assurance Building.

---------- Post added at 12:21 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:18 AM ----------

One of a series taken to record the building of where I was eventually live some 50 years later. (LRO)

While I was reading Wiki Ged appears with more photos.

Magic
    Chas

"* Should that be the Kingsway tunnel?**

Robert Morris,who left Liverpool at 13,then later, funded the American revolutionary army,and navy,,set up the Bank of America,and is/was, one of a small number of people to sign all, declarations of independance!A remarkable man,but how many know about him here?
    Great pic's Ged,by the way,but that carpet want's slingin'!

Quote Originally Posted by chasevans View Post
    While I was reading Wiki Ged appears with more photos.

Magic
    Chas

"* Should that be the Kingsway tunnel?**
    Thanks Chas.

The Kingsway is the other one opened in 1971 at the other end of Scottie.

---------- Post added at 10:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:55 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by wsteve55 View Post

Thanks Steve, yes it does, and the banister on the top floor needs repairing too.

Quote Originally Posted by wsteve55 View Post
    Robert Morris,who left Liverpool at 13,then later, funded the American revolutionary army,and navy,,set up the Bank of America,and is/was, one of a small number of people to sign all, declarations of independance!A remarkable man,but how many know about him here?
    Firstly, may I say these pictures are absolutely superb. Thanks Ged. Really enjoyed them.

I've read about Robert Morris on another thread on this forum. I'll try to find it.

He basically bank rolled George Washington against the British. After the war he bought loads of land at a discounted price.. Then couldn't keep up with the repayments and ended up in a debtors prison!!...If memory serves me...may be wrong though...I normally am!

Blog Entries

Thanks Chas.

The Kingsway is the other one opened in 1971 at the other end of Scottie.
    Thanks Ged, Of course. The old king opened the Queensway and Queen liz opened the Kingsway. Sorry for making such a simple error.
    Chas

Quote Originally Posted by Brian-P View Post
    Firstly, may I say these pictures are absolutely superb. Thanks Ged. Really enjoyed them.

I've read about Robert Morris on another thread on this forum. I'll try to find it.

He basically bank rolled George Washington against the British. After the war he bought loads of land at a discounted price.. Then couldn't keep up with the repayments and ended up in a debtors prison!!...If memory serves me...may be wrong though...I normally am!
    Yeh,a classic rags to riches,then back again,story! He should be better recognised,I think,even if he was the enemy!

Keeping It Real !!!!!!!!! ItsaZappathing's Avatar

Thanks all.

Very good them Ged. Nice one fella.

Cheers Zaps, much appreciated.

Great to see inside the Truman street house.....thanks Ged.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast