Thread: Father Berry's Home for Catholic Boys, Liverpool

Default Father Berry's Home for Catholic Boys, Liverpool

Not sure that I'm posting in the correct area. If not, could someone please move for me?

Does anyone have any information on this Home? A newly found cousin has mentioned that my GGF,
    Joseph Kelly 1870-1914 was a resident sometime before he married my GGM Alice Ashcroft in St Helens in

Many thanks for any help you can give.

Kit

Blog Entries

This site will fascinate many of you. If any already knew of it, why have you kept it to yourself? ...

http://www.20thcenturyimages.co.uk/trolleyed/index.html

An extract below from this 'guest book' page...

http://www.20thcenturyimages.co.uk/t...guestbook.html

"10th June 2009 Lynda Roberts Wirral IOANDIZ@aol.com

Hi again! Does anyone remember FATHER BERRY'S HOME FOR FRIENDLESS CATHOLIC BOYS at 150 Brownlow Hill, Liverpool? My two uncles went sent there from ST EDWARDS ORPHANAGE: ERNEST ALBERT WOOD IN 1931 AND FREDERICK WOOD IN 1933 when they each reached the age of 15. Can't find much information now, but possibly someone has a photograph or knows something about the Father Berry Home?? Thanks "

---------- Post added at 01:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:10 PM ----------

From this site...

http://www.cathchap.org.uk/history.htm

An extract...

"1864 saw the canonical erection of the parish. The administrators were Dr Henry O’Brien and Fr Henry Thrower. Then followed Fathers P Kelly, Thomas Dunne, Thomas Carroll and Martin Gallagher dating from 1871 to 1887. Fr John Berry then came to the Parish. He had founded the well-known Fr Berry’s Homes in Shaw Street, but his first venture was St Philip’s Home for Street Trading Boys in Marble Street. Fr Berry died in 1897 after a lengthy illness and was succeeded in 1900 by Fr Alfred Jeanrenaud, popularly known as Fr John. He remained Parish Priest until his death in 1929. It was during his tenure that the Institute and Parish were separated and the church in Hope Street was replaced by a new church in Catharine Street."

---------- Post added at 01:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:14 PM ----------

From this site...

http://www.liverpoolmuseums.org.uk/m...pgeInt=&catStr

an extract...

"6 Catholic Organisations

Father Nugent of Liverpool, through his Nugent Society Care Homes, was the first of the Catholic organisations to send children to Canada. He made arrangements with local parish priests who were to place the children with local families in Quebec and Ontario. In 1870 a small party of 24 children and Father Nugent set sail for Canada, and Father Nugent became a pioneer in finding new homes, new lives and new opportunities for destitute children. On their arrival he embarked on a nine month lecture tour of Canada and America, pleading the case for "Nobody's Children". His argument was that "poverty is no crime, but a misfortune". If you are trying to trace someone who emigrated to Canada or the USA, you can contact the Archivist at their Head Office (see address list at the end of this information sheet).

The Custody of Children Act (Barnardo's Act) 1891 legalised the work of private emigration societies, and Catholic child migration became focussed through the Archdiocese of Westminster's "Crusade of Rescue" in 1899 and all work was moved to St George's in Ottawa. By the early 1900s children were being sent to Canada from Father Berry's Homes in Liverpool. St George's was closed in 1935. Records for the Catholic children in Canada were returned to England and some were subsequently destroyed. However, the original records may still be available in Britain (see address list at the end of this information sheet)."

---------- Post added at 01:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:21 PM ----------

A bit more general, but still very much Liverpool, as the name suggests...

http://liverpoolhistorysocietyquesti...s.com/2010/07/

Blog Entries

Thumbs up

Oudeius

Good link,

Cheers,

Chas

Thanks Oudeius, some great links in there for anyone researching family history.

How nasty to be called friendless. Those two uncles that were sent there at 15 at least had a friend in each other. How shoddily people were treated back in the day - many a lot worse though than just being called friendless.

There was a thread many years ago with loads of external Liverpool Photo links including the 20th Century site
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Thanks Oudeis, I'm a bit sceptical that GGF was in 'Fr Berry's Home' as it looks as if his home wasn't around
    until at least 1887, when he would have been 17+. Surely by then he would have been sent out into the
    general population? I must get in touch with Liverpool Council/Libraries to see if they have any records. If
    anyone knows who I should contact, I'd be grateful for some contact details.

Cheers, Kit

Blog Entries

Kit,

"Fr John Berry then came to the Parish. He had founded the well-known Fr Berry’s Homes in Shaw Street, but his first venture was St Philip’s Home for Street Trading Boys in Marble Street."

I do not know the area, but if Shaw Street is not in 'the Parish' your GGF could well have been one of the first. Unless he was a Street Trader boy?

I only wish some of the 'oldies' were still alive to ask!!! Will need to make further enquiries. Thanks for your help. Kit

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kitcarson View Post
    I only wish some of the 'oldies' were still alive to ask!!! Will need to make further enquiries. Thanks for your help. Kit
    Yea, this genealogy stuff is mostly self-assembly, Kit.