Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Lost Street

John(Zappa)

Default Lost street

Quote Originally Posted by ghughesarch View Post
    far more impressive and better-recorded examples in Edinburgh

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_King's_Close

though at least that proves that such things do exist and aren't all a product of T Slemen's imagination...
    I recall talking to a "rat catcher" many years ago who told me that where Probe record shop was (now Ted Baker) you could walk underneath all the shops to Marks 'n' Sparks from there.
    True ? I dunno.He did say underneath Ted Bakers shop that the floor couldn't be seen for the rats.Eeeeek!

Looking at the pic,the girders across the roof made me think of a mine for some reason. Obviously couldn't be anything to do with the copper mine at Copperas Hill haha but the wall sealing off the passage at the end is weird due to half of it being grey bricks,the other red and newer-looking. What we need is a hammer. Knock a brick out of one of those blocked-up windows and try the same on each half of the end wall,and if it's hollow,stick a light and video camera in.

Dave.

Cadfael

Quote Originally Posted by skgogosfan View Post
    Looking at the pic,the girders across the roof made me think of a mine for some reason. Obviously couldn't be anything to do with the copper mine at Copperas Hill haha but the wall sealing off the passage at the end is weird due to half of it being grey bricks,the other red and newer-looking. What we need is a hammer. Knock a brick out of one of those blocked-up windows and try the same on each half of the end wall,and if it's hollow,stick a light and video camera in.

Dave.
    I've a photo of us lot with a massive hammer and various tools. It was more than double bricked that's for sure - we got nowhere!

Default annuver tunnel !!!!!!!!

Just thought i'd add another "mysterious" underground structure, to this thread! I was talking to a security guard at the pier head development,the other day, and he told me that they(the contractors) had found a tunnel running alongside the old floating roadway, from the river,towards st nick's church! And as this cut across the path of the canal extension,they'd had to spend some time/effort on blocking up the sides of this, with "loads of concrete" as he put it! Any ideas/info' on this one

That IS a mystery one. Any pix? Until the docks were built,that area was under the river. Could be a forgotten sewer?

Dave.

It was a brick-lined Victorian storm outfall. Somewhere on this thread is a photo of the canal work, taken around October last year which shows the exposed tunnel. Unfortunately by the time I saw the photo and went down to have a look, it had been capped off.

I think the drain was made redundant by more modern storm drains further along the dock. It was only short anyway, starting at an overflow chamber about 30m further inland, and exiting out of the dockside into the river. The purpose was so that if the combined sewers got overloaded, they'd overflow into the river rather than into the streets.

For anyone interested in the Nevill St road in Southport, found a good site today with some interesting pictures:
    http://www.darkplaces.co.uk/phpBB2/v...er=asc&start=0

Quote Originally Posted by snappel View Post
    It was a brick-lined Victorian storm outfall. Somewhere on this thread is a photo of the canal work, taken around October last year which shows the exposed tunnel. Unfortunately by the time I saw the photo and went down to have a look, it had been capped off.

I think the drain was made redundant by more modern storm drains further along the dock. It was only short anyway, starting at an overflow chamber about 30m further inland, and exiting out of the dockside into the river. The purpose was so that if the combined sewers got overloaded, they'd overflow into the river rather than into the streets.
    Thanks for that Snappel, another little mystery solved! The guy i spoke to, was convinced that it was used to march slaves (discreetly?) to be sold

Unfortunately Steve that's why we have so many rumours of 'slave tunnels', etc. There was no need to bring slaves to Britain, as they were exchanged in South America. Apart from which, that part of the dock was not built when the slave trade was in operation.

But no, if any slaves had marched up there, they'd have got covered in crap before reaching an unpassable overflow wier!!!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123