Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lost Street

Default Lost Street

A long time ago, I recall someone telling me about workmen discovering a sort of hidden street in Liverpool - near the city centre.
    Sorry to sound vague but it's year's since I heard the tale and although I didn't believe it at the time, reading these threads has made me wonder!!
    According to what I was told, the entrance was down an alley and it really was "the place time forgot"
    Has anyone heard this story??
    Dee...

Whether you think you can or think you can't, your probably right!

One of Tom Slemen's stories was about a hidden street supposedly under Lime St station or leading from there to the Adelphi. It'd be cool if it were true,but I doubt it.

Dave.

PhilipG

I agree with you, Dave.
    When I saw this thread, I thought: "Oh no, not again!"
    If any streets were ever covered up (and I don't know how - or why) they would have been documented at the time.
    But there's no evidence that it happened in Liverpool.
    It did happen in Southport, but there's no mystery about that one.

Cadfael

Only the 'mini street' under Renshaw Street springs to mind, which I've been in and there are bricked up house window and doors there.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cadfael View Post
    Only the 'mini street' under Renshaw Street springs to mind, which I've been in and there are bricked up house window and doors there.
    Something I'd love to see
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Cadfael

Quote Originally Posted by Kev View Post
    Something I'd love to see
    When I'm down at St Luke's again, I'll take a nose and see if it's still 'accessible' there. Have a picture to keep you going!
    Last edited by Cadfael; 08-15-2007 at 05:16 PM.

DaisyChains

great pic!

We have had a thread like this before in this section me thinks.....

PhilipG

Could you tell us more about this 'mini street'?
    My earlier comment was expressing my frustration that we only hear vague references to this hidden street, and no details.
    The photo is interesting, but all it shows is one bricked up doorway.

Cadfael

Quote Originally Posted by PhilipG View Post
    Could you tell us more about this 'mini street'?
    My earlier comment was expressing my frustration that we only hear vague references to this hidden street, and no details.
    The photo is interesting, but all it shows is one bricked up doorway.
    I certainly can. Renshaw Street, behind what was Quick Fit is a manhole cover. There was a rumour passed around the Tunnels bods years ago that there was something down there, we spoke to the owner of the Dispensary and he said that his cellar system wasn't deep and that it sounded hollow.

Locating the manhole cover one boozy afternoon (as you do), we climbed down with the aid of a ladder. You find yourself in a boxed off 'room' about 8ft by 8ft leading two ways, one towards the picture attached above, and the other, pointing towards the direction of the Adelphi. This small section has a curb (as I tripped over it) and has rectangular doorways which were bricked up. Also, there were large windows with a stone sash - also bricked up. The 'street' went about 25yards before it was bricked up - I presume at one point, you could access most of Renshaw Street like this. I didn't have a camera at that point - but I'm in contact with someone who may have more pics. Leave it with me.

PhilipG

The street in Southport (Nevill Street) that was filled in sloped down to the beach and was filled in.
    It was never underground originally, although since it's been filled in it is now.
    I still can't get my head around the idea of an underground street.
    And why windows?
    Windows are to let light in.
    Perhaps it might be argued that this 'street' in Renshaw Street was once above ground and has been built over since, but why build a street below street-level?
    Besides, some of the original buildings survive in Renshaw Street, especially either side of Quiggins (the original Quiggins, not Central Hall), and the two pubs either side of Bolton Street are very old.
    Renshaw Street was first built up in the 1790s.
    Before that there was a ropery on the side we're talking about (which took up the whole length of the street) and the rest of the area was fields.
    The land at the top end (the part we're talking about) belonged to Mr Bold, who also owned the site of St Luke's Church. (It was he who made the covenant that only a church could ever stand on that site).

Cadfael

Quote Originally Posted by PhilipG View Post
    The street in Southport (Nevill Street) that was filled in sloped down to the beach and was filled in.
    It was never underground originally, although since it's been filled in it is now.
    I still can't get my head around the idea of an underground street.
    And why windows?
    Windows are to let light in.
    Perhaps it might be argued that this 'street' in Renshaw Street was once above ground and has been built over since, but why build a street below street-level?
    Besides, some of the original buildings survive in Renshaw Street, especially either side of Quiggins (the original Quiggins, not Central Hall), and the two pubs either side of Bolton Street are very old.
    Renshaw Street was first built up in the 1790s.
    Before that there was a ropery on the side we're talking about (which took up the whole length of the street) and the rest of the area was fields.
    The land at the top end (the part we're talking about) belonged to Mr Bold, who also owned the site of St Luke's Church. (It was he who made the covenant that only a church could ever stand on that site).
    The street posed many questions when we were down there too but we could never really explain what was behind the doors/windows and whether it ever did see daylight as part of a basement cellar system. If the access is still there, perhaps I could sort out a few people to come along and have a nose for themselves. I'm not too up on the history of that area Philip so I couldn't say much for the buildings on top.

I certainly can. Renshaw Street, behind what was Quick Fit is a manhole cover. There was a rumour passed around the Tunnels bods years ago that there was something down there, we spoke to the owner of the Dispensary and he said that his cellar system wasn't deep and that it sounded hollow.

Locating the manhole cover one boozy afternoon (as you do), we climbed down with the aid of a ladder. You find yourself in a boxed off 'room' about 8ft by 8ft leading two ways, one towards the picture attached above, and the other, pointing towards the direction of the Adelphi. This small section has a curb (as I tripped over it) and has rectangular doorways which were bricked up. Also, there were large windows with a stone sash - also bricked up. The 'street' went about 25yards before it was bricked up - I presume at one point, you could access most of Renshaw Street like this. I didn't have a camera at that point - but I'm in contact with someone who may have more pics. Leave it with me.
    Thanks so much for taking the time to reply - it certainly fits with the story I'd heard and being fairly new to the site, I apologise if I re-hashed old tales.
    It was just one of those tales that I'd never forgot....
    Dee...

Whether you think you can or think you can't, your probably right!

DaisyChains

The street posed many questions when we were down there too but we could never really explain what was behind the doors/windows and whether it ever did see daylight as part of a basement cellar system. If the access is still there, perhaps I could sort out a few people to come along and have a nose for themselves. I'm not too up on the history of that area Philip so I couldn't say much for the buildings on top.
    let us know when you're going and we'll be ready with hard hats!!

Cadfael

I'll do a recce of the place and see if it's still there. All we'll need is a large ladder - kev, you can fit one in the boot of your mini

Quote Originally Posted by D.C View Post
    A long time ago, I recall someone telling me about workmen discovering a sort of hidden street in Liverpool - near the city centre.
    Sorry to sound vague but it's year's since I heard the tale and although I didn't believe it at the time, reading these threads has made me wonder!!
    According to what I was told, the entrance was down an alley and it really was "the place time forgot"
    Has anyone heard this story??

far more impressive and better-recorded examples in Edinburgh

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_King's_Close

though at least that proves that such things do exist and aren't all a product of T Slemen's imagination...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast