Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Planning decision on Liverpool Waters will be delayed until after Unesco inspection

Blog Entries

Angry Tommy the plasterer

Thanks for your reply, Ged. My views are not clouded by UNESCO WHS or the Liverpool Preservation Society ( in fact I'd never heard of LPS till it was named by yourself). I can't give my opinion on the LPS man until I know a bit more about him.
    I didn't need UNESCO to tell me this city is beautiful, it was already a wondrous place to me. Can't say I'm not glad they've intervened in Peel's proposals though.
    You've missed the point of my previous post so I'll make it clear.
    Tommy the plasterer
    The quality of workmanship in most modern buildings in Merseyside is sub standard. As long as workmen can pass their Level X and conform to a timetable the agency gets the job. Slapdash construction with maximum profit the only motivation.
    Merseyside deserves better. Merseysiders have had to suffer the town planning and architectural disasters in the past. The new museum and black apartments squat like vultures in the city. If PEEL gets the go ahead there’ll be a new waterfront trio, The Three Disgraces.
    I’ll leave out my thoughts on Liverpool One, that battle is fought and lost.
    PEEL is the focus of this thread so I’ll say it again.

PEEL are in it for one thing, TO MAKE MONEY. If Merseyside surrenders to Peel Holdings we’ve a lot more to lose than money

The pyramids are tombs from a past civilization. Their very creation is a wonder to all. My cold eyes see only emptied tombs.The contents of the pyramids are far more beautiful to my eyes, telling their stories of the Egyptian empire. Pyramids might be fantastic and enigmatic, but the world has far more beautiful tombs.
    Which brings me full circle. Peel’s towering structures and empire building, …………

Affably,
    Chas

Quote Originally Posted by chasevans View Post
    Thanks for your reply, Ged. My views are not clouded by UNESCO WHS or the Liverpool Preservation Society ( in fact I'd never heard of LPS till it was named by yourself). I can't give my opinion on the LPS man until I know a bit more about him.
    I didn't need UNESCO to tell me this city is beautiful, it was already a wondrous place to me. Can't say I'm not glad they've intervened in Peel's proposals though.
    You've missed the point of my previous post so I'll make it clear.
    Tommy the plasterer
    The quality of workmanship in most modern buildings in Merseyside is sub standard. As long as workmen can pass their Level X and conform to a timetable the agency gets the job. Slapdash construction with maximum profit the only motivation.
    Merseyside deserves better. Merseysiders have had to suffer the town planning and architectural disasters in the past. The new museum and black apartments squat like vultures in the city. If PEEL gets the go ahead there’ll be a new waterfront trio, The Three Disgraces.
    I’ll leave out my thoughts on Liverpool One, that battle is fought and lost.
    PEEL is the focus of this thread so I’ll say it again.

PEEL are in it for one thing, TO MAKE MONEY. If Merseyside surrenders to Peel Holdings we’ve a lot more to lose than money

The pyramids are tombs from a past civilization. Their very creation is a wonder to all. My cold eyes see only emptied tombs.The contents of the pyramids are far more beautiful to my eyes, telling their stories of the Egyptian empire. Pyramids might be fantastic and enigmatic, but the world has far more beautiful tombs.
    Which brings me full circle. Peel’s towering structures and empire building, …………

Affably,
    Chas
    I'm not sure that "quality of workmanship" is to blame.

If the architect specified cheap drywall (plasterboard in the UK?) instead of a full plaster job with nice details moulded in the corners, then it's a design issue, not a quality issue.

The workmansip may be poor, but even good workmanship on a cheap design still gets you a cheap building...

I blame the architects/interior designers.

PS - having owned a house with drywall and a 40's house with lath and plaster, the drywall one is easier to maintain...

Show me a 21st century developer who isn't in it for money. Would you plough 5.5 billion of your money into it for nothing?

You say we lost the battle at Liverpool 1 Chas, I say we won. Im sure glad there aren't people on LCC who preferred to see bomb sites at South John st 70 years after the luftwaffe.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by az_gila View Post
    I'm not sure that "quality of workmanship" is to blame.

If the architect specified cheap drywall (plasterboard in the UK?) instead of a full plaster job with nice details moulded in the corners, then it's a design issue, not a quality issue.

The workmansip may be poor, but even good workmanship on a cheap design still gets you a cheap building...

I blame the architects/interior designers.

PS - having owned a house with drywall and a 40's house with lath and plaster, the drywall one is easier to maintain...
    I think I agree Al-gizala. The architects deserve a lot of blame for designing easy build lego constructions to a price. The modern workman's priority being speed. My tale of Tommy the plasterer was real, he was brought in from an out of town job to redo the botched up jobs other workmen had done. He was near retirement age then, what happens when thee are no Tommys to call upon? We should be training our youth to build buildings they can take a pride in. .
    Cheers,
    Chas

---------- Post added at 03:16 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:39 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Ged View Post
    Show me a 21st century developer who isn't in it for money. Would you plough 5.5 billion of your money into it for nothing?

You say we lost the battle at Liverpool 1 Chas, I say we won. Im sure glad there aren't people on LCC who preferred to see bomb sites at South John st 70 years after the luftwaffe.
    I'll take the first question as rhetorical. Of course I wouldn't put 5.5 billion into this project. But if I had 5.5 billion I'd look at developing the land to benefit Liverpoool communities and industries, I can't stress enough that while scousers are without work and apartments are built that are out of their reach it will bring trouble.
    Liverpool One from all reports is a 2/3 full I'm told. At the moment it wants to appeal to the WAGs culture. No prices shown on anything, if you have to ask the price you can't afford it. Hope Liverpool folk aren't taken in by this trick. Grosvenor can afford to lose money, he just deducts it from his tax.
    As can PEEL the enemy of Liverpool. PEEL HOLDINGS must be stopped..
    Sorry Ged,
    Best Wishes for yourself,
    Chas

No probs Chas, it's all about opinions

I bet the workers of Cammell lairds or the workers at the new Liverpool airport terminal don't see them as liverpool's enemy though. Perhaps the wildlife up at Seaforth might though as they plan a post panamax terminal there too. Some enemies eh. I prefer to think the backwater thinking procrastinators are the real enemy as nothing would get done with them. They buy the paint for the house but never get around to doing it.

Liverpool One from all reports is a 2/3 full I'm told. At the moment it wants to appeal to the WAGs culture. No prices shown on anything, if you have to ask the price you can't afford it. Hope Liverpool folk aren't taken in by this trick. Grosvenor can afford to lose money, he just deducts it from his tax.
    Sorry Ged,
    Chas[/QUOTE]

John Lewis? Debenhams? Wags?
    1 out of 3 , must try harder.... take 200 lines:
    I must be sure of my facts before making statements.
    see me in my study.

What a sweeping statement to say that the whole of L1 only caters for the wives and girlfriends of footballers. I've been the Everton shop, i've bought a cd and dvd out of HMV (lots of initials there ) Why, i've even been the world hot buffet restaurant a number of times to eat as much as I can for the price that a wag wouldn't buy a handbag for. I even saw pensioners coming out of W..H. Smiths - how ab out that then, I should have got a pic to prove all of this. Ha ha.

Blog Entries

Default As a matter of fact, facts matter!

Quote Originally Posted by grekko View Post
    Sorry Ged,
    Chas
    see me in my study.
    [/QUOTE]

I said wags culture. Do I really have to explain it further. I'd expect Wayne Rooney could explain it to you if you really don't understand it, Grekko.
    I've never been to Liverpool One, I'm going on reports from others who I trust, what part of Liverpool One from all reports is a 2/3 full I'm told. is confusing you, Grekko.
    I don't know where your study is, sir, can you be more explicit. Just to please a fellow pensioner:

COPY AND PASTE THE ABOVE 19 Times.
    Show yourself, Grekko.

Quote Originally Posted by chasevans View Post
    see me in my study.
    I said wags culture. Do I really have to explain it further. I'd expect Wayne Rooney could explain it to you if you really don't understand it, Grekko.
    I've never been to Liverpool One, I'm going on reports from others who I trust, what part of Liverpool One from all reports is a 2/3 full I'm told. is confusing you, Grekko.
    I don't know where your study is, sir, can you be more explicit. Just to please a fellow pensioner:

COPY AND PASTE THE ABOVE 19 Times.
    Show yourself, Grekko.[/QUOTE]

sorry Sir, can I go home now?

Blog Entries

Talking ???????????

Quote Originally Posted by Ged View Post
    What a sweeping statement to say that the whole of L1 only caters for the wives and girlfriends of footballers. I've been the Everton shop, i've bought a cd and dvd out of HMV (lots of initials there ) Why, i've even been the world hot buffet restaurant a number of times to eat as much as I can for the price that a wag wouldn't buy a handbag for. I even saw pensioners coming out of W..H. Smiths - how ab out that then, I should have got a pic to prove all of this. Ha ha.
    Was Grekko there looking for a new study, I would like to see him? You don't have to get a pic for me, Ged. I just Google for the Liverpool One website and it only confirms my views. They're aiming sales at the wannabe Yuppies/ WAGS. I'll say it again, nothing priced. Draw your own conclusions.
    Fed up watching this tin of paint dry,
    I'm off to the pub,
    Chas

@chasevans, I know you said you Google for the Liverpool One website and it only confirms your views, so I thought that maybe to help us both determine the quantity of open or empty premises and stores aimed at appealing to Wags and non Wags , I could post this link so you could identify those you mean and especially the ones which don't display prices. I've visited quite a few times with my wife and if anyone is critical of pricing and the display of them,I have found her to be at the head of the queue, yet other than for a few overpriced stores which appear to be the norm nowadays on most high streets,or shopping centres,I can't say I've heard her voicing many criticisms.
    http://www.liverpool-one.com/Vicinit...eDirectory.pdf

Where is this thread going??????????????
    BE NICE......................OR ELSE

Ged there is a post office in W H Smiths,they have been collecting their pension as they have overspent
    THE BEST VITAMIN FOR MAKING FRIENDS ? B.1

My Flickr site: www.flickr.com/photos/exacta2a/

http://flickrhivemind.net/User/exacta2a

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Spike View Post
    Where is this thread going??????????????
    ?

Thought you were going the pub?

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast