Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Planning decision on Liverpool Waters will be delayed until after Unesco inspection

Quote Originally Posted by az_gila View Post
    Go a bit further...

Name the Liverpool developers in it's heyday that weren't driven by profit - there were a few, but perhaps some of them were offspring feeling a bit guilty about their family money made off the slave trade.

Liverpool developed in the 1800's into the city it is now on the profit motive, why knock it....
    Exactly....like capitalism was new-fangled!!!! I've lived all over Liverpool,not just one, or two area's!

Blog Entries

Talking dictated to on dictating and the speed of PEELing.......false profits......ignoring LFC...PEEL

Quote Originally Posted by Ged View Post
    Chas, you brought the Everton area into this thread on post 19.

---------- Post added at 09:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:38 PM ----------

Grosvenor's motivation was profit, so what if the means to the ends results in a better place to be. Every single developer that ever developed an area did it for profit, not for the love of the place. LFC likewise when if ever they get around to sticking to their end of the deal with Anfield. Peel took an ailing airport and have turned it round. Peel took acres of derelict land that nobody wanted and now it's the Trafford Centre. Are you up to speed on what they have actually achieved rather than the scaremongering of what they might do?

ps. Writing in bold/capitals/different colours/larger text doesn't make your point any more valid.
    I did bring up the Everton area in post 19 to explain my position ( not coming from the proposed area). I then got back on thread about the proposed development. I can't give any credence to Lindylou's (or anyone other's) comments when they give no personal background info when making a point.
    I've had a chat with GeorgPorgie and he's made valid points about the demolition in his particular part of the Everton area. I still say there were parts that should've been saved.

Back to the thread, I agree every company should make a profit, but Peel's accounts are bewildering( to me anyway). Peel promise much when they get a contract, usually the residents of Peel's greed suffer the consequences (see Salford posts). Peel are a law to themselves (I'm sure you know that), they connive to get their way by any means. I think the investigation into the recent air crash in Newlands Avenue, Peel Green, Salford, might prove interesting, or am I just scaremongering?
    ps read peel's small print first
    Cheers, Ged,
    Chas

I've taken it for granted, ..(I know I probably shouldn't be presuming) .. that most people on the forum know I am from Anfield - - I have refered to my Anfield roots throughout lots of threads through the years on Yo.

I was born here and have never moved - still living here

I can walk to Everton area - 5 mins from me.

---------- Post added at 11:12 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:51 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by grekko View Post
    Chas , I think Lindylou was referring to the Everton area of the early 19th century when she commented upon the miriad of terraced streets being a blot on the landscape, not of the area or community of the early and mid 20th century. I'm sure she recognises, as do most of us on here, that the Everton area was a vibrant family oriented community who unfortunately, in many respects, had the misfortune to inhabit properties which lacked the standard facilities for healthy living and had seen better days, which was a major contribution to their wholesale demolition/disappearance.
    As for her comments on the waterfront I doubt if her place of residence should preclude her from commenting on her memories or preference of waterfront view.
    Thanks Grekko, that's what I was meaning .. I am not casting any aspersions on the community of Everton ( and also I think you are right in saying that these vibrant old communities will never be repeated).
    I am just saying that the terraced streets would have been looked upon as a blot on the landscape by the people who knew it as a rural area. I bet they didn't relish the sight of their rural idyll being built upon the way it was. According to history books I have read, Everton was a pastoral setting where the gentry strolled the country lanes and grassy slopes to take in the sea air and enjoy the views. Some decades on, and those people from that era would not have recognised the district of Everton. My point is that the area has now reverted to it's original grassy state - just a thought that had occurred to me and probably irrelevant to the thread ..

---------- Post added at 11:16 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:12 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by chasevans View Post
    My family history stretches throughout the Everton area. From some vantage points you could see right over the Mersey. Cobbled streets, yes, but no speed bumps. Some housing was poorly built and others did suffer war damage, but a good deal of the housing could have been retained. Everton was used as an example in social engineering on a vast scale. Most high rises from that era have been demolished. Good riddance.But we're now left with a sprawling landscape of ?...
    (above quote) this was the post that prompted my thoughts - that things have to change, and they do change, and sometimes not to everyones' liking . .

sorry if I rambled a bit.

Chas , I've read and re-read your post with regard to Peel's planning refusal appeal and warning to Merseysiders but I am still left wondering what is it there for? Is it to allow us to read a story from the Salford Star or is it to point out how Govenment legislation and regulation have been altered over approx the last 10 years, and how one specific company are applying those rules and regulations as defined in the acts. Or is it to point out that Salford Council's Development Plan (Core Strategy)has outlined it's proposals for 2010-2030, or maybe even the shambolic Salford Council planning panel meeting which couldn't decide what it's plans were? Whatever it is the post is warning Merseysiders to watch out for , could you highlight them for me please,as I cannot find it/them .
    Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by grekko View Post

I do not go along with the siting of a lot of Skyscrapers etc of Peel's plans but, surely the improvement of that area has been too long coming, how much longer might it take to redevelop the site(s) if the plans are knocked back? We will probably never again build communities such as you and I remember but that shouldn't restrict peoples opportunities to try and build newer and hopefully vibrant living spaces.
    Yes, I agree. Who will redevelop the area then if plans are dropped ?
    We are very much looking forward to this stretch of land to be brought into line and match up with the rest of the fantastic improvements that have already been realised.
    It will be a sin if it is left to rot.

---------- Post added at 11:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:21 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by chasevans View Post
    Some housing was poorly built and others did suffer war damage, but a good deal of the housing could have been retained.
    Of course, I agree with you that some of the buildings in Everton could have, and should have been saved.

Forget where we posters are from, what's that got to do with it. Where we are not currently from is the area that can be redeveloped and I know for a fact that the people from Vauxhall want it and in fact have campaigned for the likes of the Central docks redevelopment and Project Jennifer on Greaty. It's like someone in Woolton saying why is someone wanting to redevelop Lodge Lane, let them stew. Rather ingenious isn't it?
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Quote Originally Posted by lindylou View Post

I am just saying that the terraced streets would have been looked upon as a blot on the landscape by the people who knew it as a rural area. I bet they didn't relish the sight of their rural idyll being built upon the way it was. According to history books I have read, Everton was a pastoral setting where the gentry strolled the country lanes and grassy slopes to take in the sea air and enjoy the views. Some decades on, and those people from that era would not have recognised the district of Everton. My point is that the area has now reverted to it's original grassy state - just a thought that had occurred to me and probably irrelevant to the thread .. [COLOR="Silver"]
    I agree Lindy, to many the terraced streets were a blot on the landscape but many people wanted their areas to stay the same. I am sure that for many people they have welcomed progress and re-development. To see Everton with grassy slopes and enjoy the nice views must be wonderful.

Blog Entries

I enjoyed it as it was !

Quote Originally Posted by Marty1 View Post
    I enjoyed it as it was !

I know Marty. Lots of nostalgic memories for all of us in the districts where we lived.

I was just making an observation how areas can totally change, and often times not to everyone's liking.
    The same can be said for my own area of Anfield.
    People often don't like change, but sometimes we do need to move on and progress.

Blog Entries

People often don't like change, but sometimes we do need to move on and progress.
    I'm at bit like that, I don't like change. I sometimes wonder what progress we have made over the years and quite often think we haven't made any ! I know, I'm sad !

I'm at bit like that, I don't like change. I sometimes wonder what progress we have made over the years and quite often think we haven't made any ! I know, I'm sad !
    I also don't like change but progress has been made, you no longer have a tin bath!

Quote Originally Posted by Diane Louise View Post
    I also don't like change but progress has been made, you no longer have a tin bath!
    ...or walk outside to take a ***.....

Blog Entries

I will no longer have a bath soon !

We all look back and think the terraced streets were great as were the tennies and they were, they were of their time. Central docks though are acres of unused, derelict and dilapidated land once used for something that will never return. Nothing will be demolished for what is planned. What is the problem?
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

I will no longer have a bath soon !
    Are you throwing the bath out! Anyway I would rather have a shower!

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast