Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Planning decision on Liverpool Waters will be delayed until after Unesco inspection

Blog Entries

Exclamation Planning decision on Liverpool Waters will be delayed until after Unesco inspection

LIVERPOOL council will delay deciding whether a controversial £5.5bn skyscraper scheme should be given planning permission until Unesco inspectors have visited the city.

More...
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Blog Entries

Kev,
    I'll withdraw this link if it's off topic or already been posted.
    http://www.liverpooldailypost.co.uk/...2534-29030050/

PEEL THIS Chas
    The man who built Peel Holdings

Chris Barry
    February 03, 2005
    Share Article | Submit Comments | Comments (1) | Printable Version Previous | Next
    WINDING DOWN?: John Whittaker

JOHN Whittaker is a man who always gets what he wants. He has those critical virtues of success in spades, a vision for what he wants, shrewdness, patience, and tenacity.

In the last three decades he has built an empire estimated at '900m, encompassing the Clydeside in Scotland to the Manchester Ship Canal, the burgeoning Liverpool John Lennon Airport and the Trafford Centre.

The planned 1000p per share swoop on Mersey Docks adds the final piece in Whittaker's north west jigsaw, and will also add the Medway port in London and a container port in Dublin to his portfolio. Then there are plans for a racecourse and country park in Worsley.

So what kind of man is he?

A Manchester-based financier who has watched Whittaker's rise keenly says: "He is the arch deal-doer. He plays hard-ball, he never gives in and always gets what he wants in the end.

"He has watched Mersey Docks like a hawk for at least the last year and has moved now because of the bid from the venture capitalist. I can't see him failing now.

"He waited until he had taken Peel private last year before doing this, because it's easier to do a deal like this when you're not listed. "

Integrated

The observer, who did not wish to be named, said he felt that once Mersey was integrated into the Peel empire, Whittaker may chose to wind down his business life.

"I think this will be his swansong in terms of major deals, and he has done a fair few - he had to fight for three years to get the Manchester Ship Canal Company, and the battle to build the Trafford Centre lasted for nearly 10 years and was an epic.

"When he gets Mersey Docks it will take him three or four years to get the best out of it, and then he will probably want to hand over the reins to the next generation."

Family is all important to John Whittaker, a tenacious and hard-working individual who guards his privacy keenly.

He has four children, Mark, James, Kate and John. The eldest three all work for their father, while John, the youngest is at university.

Centrepiece

He was very close to his late parents John, who set up the property business, and May. His mother's car, a classic Mercedes convertible, was installed as the centrepiece of a display when the Trafford Centre opened.

A strong Catholic faith underlies his business and private life. He has been separated from his wife, Patricia, for a number of years but is still legally married to her.

He is also notoriously publicity shy - indeed, some say he's shy in private life too - and is said to be uncomfortable with strangers.

However, he's recognised as one of the shrewedest minds in business.

The bid for Mersey Docks completes a long-held ambition of forming one single business empire stretching from one end of the Mersey to the other.

He's also shown himself adept at surrounding himself with formidable advisers - Robert Hough and Mike Butterworth being his key lieutenants for years.

Wikiped info.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Wh...an)#Early_life

Robert Hough ~ Shifting shapes?
    http://www.salfordstar.com/article.a...&msg=Thank-You

Mike Buterworth~ Dancing with the Devil?
    http://menmedia.co.uk/salfordadverti..._over_election

Out-Daemons_Out
    Cheers,
    Chas

Personally, I've got nothing against it since it seems to be in an area that is so in need of regeneration.

I don't think Unesco should be trying to stop it when you look at what is currently in the area, they should have been all over those black things by the liver building

I hope it's a case of the council just being tolerant and courtious and it's a message of 'Come and see and we'll show you it's not going to interfere with the World Heritage Site - and now bog off back home to London as it's the world we're wanting to impress - not you'.

Now those black monstrosities are a different kettle of fish - they are on the WHS and if they got passed then I can't see the stink made over these, it's as though - oops we have to now.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

U.N.E.S.C.O...............who cares,and who needs their approval of our city,anyway? I'm all for it,if it leads to regeneration,jobs,etc,but with some sensitivity!

This UNESCO thing has all come about due to a complaint to English Heritage (incidentally the north west office is in Manchester, not that I'm being paranoid) by Wayne Colquhooun of the Liverpool Preservation Trust, which doesnt appear to be a trust at all, just alone man blog to further his own opinions. Bizarre that one man can threaten to get all this investment pulled, Peel have fingers in pies across the north and may well take their £5 billion elsewhere.

Eloquently put. Colquhooun is known throughout Liverpool business and council circles as a nutcase and on his blog he states how the new museum has been nominated as a carbuncle but fails to inform any viewer that it is he himself who has done this due to his own agenda.

Having a World heritage tag brings no recordable monetary value to the area, tourists will come anyway, not because they've read it's a WHS. If it's a straight choice - the council should just give them 2 fingers. So Canary wharf is ok but let's see what we can possibly do to delay your schemes...... How come is taking them until the autumn to come and take a look and then until next summer before they have a meeting about it - it's not like it'll take long to say yay or nay is it - and have you seen the state of the UNESCO HQ.

DONT BUILD IT
    BE NICE......................OR ELSE

What shall we build? Or shall we leave it as it is?

Genuine question, as the people on the Vauxhall tours were over the moon when this was just at the proposal stage a few years ago. I think it would be seen as another council flop if it was all to fall apart for them now.

25,000 jobs over the lifespan of the project too - from construction to habitation.

Build something else. No more bloomin towers.

But nothing else is planned - no-one has an alternative on the table. What view will they spoil along the Central docks - won't they only enhance the view when coming down the river? These are nowhere near the 3 graces you know - even further along than Waterloo Apartments past ToyrUs and Costco - facing the Vulcan studios.

As far as towers go, they are hardly USA height either

I hate towers.

If they keep building them I will move away.

Eh, I don't mean thanks you will move away ha ha.

Quote Originally Posted by scouse smurf View Post
    Personally, I've got nothing against it since it seems to be in an area that is so in need of regeneration.

I don't think Unesco should be trying to stop it when you look at what is currently in the area, they should have been all over those black things by the liver building
    Yeah, they didn't complain about the black square and the mueseum that doesn't fit in with the area and the black boxes block the view of the graces from the Albert dock side!

Gididi Gididi Goo.

Quote Originally Posted by Ged View Post
    Eh, I don't mean thanks you will move away ha ha.
    HA HA HA

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast