Hi all

Many famous Scousers mentioned in this section of the website have been given the Freedom of the City of Liverpool which is also awarded to non-Scousers as well.

But what is the history of the tradition? When did it begin? A friend on another forum asked about it, and I give his email and my reply below. You will see that I somehow doubt that the explanation for the act of conferring the Freedom of Liverpool given today was the same as it was when the tradition began.

Chris

Does anyone know of a website that explains the Freedom of Liverpool honor is detail. I've searched and only find releases announcing additions to the Rolls.

Thanks.

Gary

Hi Gary

Here's some piece of information that might help you in your enquiry about the award of Freedom of the City of Liverpool.

The Lord Mayor of Liverpool, Councillor Ron Gould, said: "The Freedom of Liverpool is awarded to people who show courage, strength, kindness, and who dedicate their lives to making a real difference to the lives of others.

From "Freedom of Liverpool delivered to New York" August 28, 2003 at http://www.liverpool.gov.uk/News/newsdetail_0436.asp

That explanation sounds a bit too latterday and there is probably an earlier meaning. Will continue to research and check some books I have on Liverpool history.

Also found this:

"Oldest and Youngest awarded Freedom of the City" July 5, 2007, athttp://www.liverpool.gov.uk/News/newsdetail_1724.asp

ONE of Liverpool's oldest, and the youngest services are to be granted the city's top honour.

The Merseyside branch of St. John Ambulance, founded in September 1877, and the Duke of Lancaster's Regiment which was formed just days ago on Saturday 1 July 2006, will be honoured by Liverpool City Council at an Extraordinary meeting next week (Wednesday 12 July). . . .

Council leader Warren Bradley said: "All my colleagues and I at the City Council are delighted to add both groups to the prestigious list of Liverpool organisations, and individuals, which are leaders in their field.

"I am immensely proud of the services they give to Merseyside, and indeed this country, and it is fitting that they are added to the Freedom Roll, which is the highest honour the city can bestow on an association or institution."