Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Speke Hall and the Grey Lady

BOO
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Quote Originally Posted by Ged View Post

BOO

I remember hearing documented cases of the cradle rocking and a grey lady walking the corridors, especially the tapestry room, but the story of Mary Norris throwing her baby from the window has been discounted by every guide I've asked at Speke Hall. Aslo, if memory serves, the window she is alleged to have thrown both the baby and herself through is tiny. I doubt anyone would fit through!!

Also, Tom Slemen doesn't mention Speke Hall in any of his 'Haunted Liverpool books (as far as I'm aware).

Try contacting www.ghostclub.org.uk

They are the oldest paranormal organisation in the UK and may be able to help. Good luck!!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by matt View Post
    I remember hearing documented cases of the cradle rocking and a grey lady walking the corridors, especially the tapestry room, but the story of Mary Norris throwing her baby from the window has been discounted by every guide I've asked at Speke Hall. Aslo, if memory serves, the window she is alleged to have thrown both the baby and herself through is tiny. I doubt anyone would fit through!!

Also, Tom Slemen doesn't mention Speke Hall in any of his 'Haunted Liverpool books (as far as I'm aware).

Try contacting www.ghostclub.org.uk

They are the oldest paranormal organisation in the UK and may be able to help. Good luck!!

Cheers Matt.

In the book Mysteries of The Mersey Valley, by Peter Hough and Jenny Randles, there is a small chapter on the ghost of Speke Hall. And sightings
    of a White Lady. They say many people do tell of the cradle being rocked by a unseen hand, Adelaide Watt is supposed to have seen the White Lady disappear into a wall and heard voices and footsteps in the rooms and passage ways as have many people since. A Mr P. Lawson the curator of Speke Hall if still alive, may be worth speaking to. The book may be well worth a read.
    Last edited by jimmy; 10-05-2007 at 02:20 AM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jimmy View Post
    In the book Mysteries of The Mersey Valley, by Peter Hough and Jenny Randles, there is a small chapter on the ghost of Speke Hall. And sightings
    of a White Lady. They say many people do tell of the cradle being rocked by a unseen hand, Adelaide Watt is supposed to have seen the White Lady disappear into a wall and heard voices and footsteps in the rooms and passage ways as have many people since. A Mr P. Lawson the curator of Speke Hall if still alive, may be worth speaking to. The book may be well worth a read.
    Thanks Jimmy, I have Mysteries of The Mersey Valley next to me on my reading pile here. Which is handy. And you're right, Lawson would be great person to interview; I'll work on that.

Cheers

Default the blind caretaker and his blind dog

Quote Originally Posted by researchwriter View Post
    You're quite right of course; everyone knows these stories but who are the actual witnesses? It's very hard to find them but, I hope, not impossible.
    the caretaker of speke hall in the fifties and sixties was blind as was his dog. it was avery old brown coloured dog. looked like an irish setter. I was only nine at the time, I went to speke hall looking for conkers as the place was full of conker trees. anyway the caretaker told me that only a blind man can really see a ghost. he said there had been offers of ten pound if you could last the night in speke hall. and although a few had taken it up . nobody had spent the full night and claimed the money. he told me that what actually scared off the people was the noise. you see he said the hall is made with wooden nails, probably he meant that everything was held together by wooden dowl instead of metal nails, anyway of a night they all contract and the noise that they make may make some people think of ghosts, he went on to say that there is a bedroom which has a very very cold atmosphere. almost he compared it to walking into a freezer. that he said was when I knew the ghost was present. as a blind man he could feel it and i do believe him.

I see another Liverpool Physic, Billy Roberts is in on the act now with a Liverpool ghost book. I personally think the market is saturated with this type of offering. It may be the wrong time researchwriter.

www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

DaisyChains

I see another Liverpool Physic, Billy Roberts is in on the act now with a Liverpool ghost book. I personally think the market is saturated with this type of offering. It may be the wrong time researchwriter.
    Billy Roberts had 2 books out a few years ago called Supernatural Liverpool 1 and 2.
    His new book 'Spooky Liverpool' includes some of the stories from the earlier books, which I though was a cop out.

It wouldn't take much to better these books!

Quote Originally Posted by DaisyChains View Post
    Billy Roberts had 2 books out a few years ago called Supernatural Liverpool 1 and 2.
    His new book 'Spooky Liverpool' includes some of the stories from the earlier books, which I though was a cop out.

Enough said. I have not read the books but I can imagine.

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist
    Editor, Loch Raven Review
    http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/
    Chris on Flickr and on MySpace

Blog Entries

Not my decision Ged, the company want to put a book out, I just happen to be the person who's writing it. Apparently though, the more local ghost books there are the better a new one is likely to sell as there's an established market. That's what they tell me anyway.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by spekeasy View Post
    hi I grew up near the speke hall and went there nearly every day. that was in the early sixties. I knew the caretaker very well. he was blind which is strange because he had a blind dog as well. if you need more please contact me thanks . john
    Sorry spekeasy, I somehow missed this post the first time around. I'll drop you an email now.

EDIT: make that a PM
    Last edited by johnreppion; 10-08-2007 at 07:10 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DaisyChains View Post

I'll do my best.

Good luck on your book.. Spekeasys' encounters of the caretaker etc..sound like a promising lead for you..

Sounds like it will be an interesting read...

Today I caught the ghost on my camera in the garden of Speke Hall.....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ghost_speke_hall_outside.jpg 
Views:	372 
Size:	235.7 KB 
ID:	10674  

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast