Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: The Museum of Liverpool

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgePorgie View Post
    You read it wrong yer wazzocks....Most of the houses where built before the 19th century and photies were taken in the 19th century.

The house I just left was built in 1890...you know where to stick those drumsticks,Gedro...just make sure you push em harder.
    You've got me puzzled with that statement about the house you just left. What has a 20th century built house got to do with the very few houses that were built in Liverpool IN THE 1600's and 1700's ?

Had a funny experience today,took 2 of my grandchildren to town today, a boy of 7 and a girl of 13.
    Visited the Western Approaches museum which I have never been in before. Had to drag them out after
    two and a half hours they didn`t want to leave. Then proceeded to the new museum, after 20 minutes they said can we go now,?.
    The girl was a frequent visitor with me to the old liverpool life museum and the old 1940`s house as she grew up, she said she preferred them... to the new one .
    I said give me a mark out of 10 for both museums the answer, i/10 for the new one 9/10 for the Western Approaches.
    I must confess they are from Upholland
    THE BEST VITAMIN FOR MAKING FRIENDS ? B.1

My Flickr site: www.flickr.com/photos/exacta2a/

http://flickrhivemind.net/User/exacta2a

Joe,Put a windup gramphone and a modern stereo system in front of a child and immediatly the interest will be around the gramaphone....what I'm trying to say is they know about the beatles,they know about LFC ect,ect and the new building doesn't capture the atmosphere of a museum.

Anyway whats your honest opinion on the display?

Blog Entries

Upholland should be proud, congratulate your grandchildren, Gregs dad
    Chas

Apparently someone is waiting....
    does thunderbird four come out the canal
    in front of the building. pmsl

Though,like many,I had my doubts about the proposed plans for the Pier Head,there's no mistaking the success of the realised version,if numbers of people down there,recently,are anything to go by! I suppose it depends on what criteria you want to use,but in many ways,if not all,it's got to be a vast improvement on what was there before,which I always thought,looked like a rather large public toilet,with all that tiling,(sorry Ged)and at least now,you don't have to dodge quite so many buses!
    As for the museum,it's a typical modern design of it's day,just like the the "World" museum was, in it's day,and it compares well with any similar type of building ,anywhere else ! I'd think it is what's inside it, is what's most important though,and on which, I'll reserve judgement,till I've actually been,as it's been pretty busy up till now,just like it should be

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisGeorge View Post
    I think it's clear as most people accept that the new museum has changed the look of the waterfront from Albert Dock. I guess I liked things as they were. I should stop bellyaching though.... the museum is grand for the tourists and for the people of Liverpool (locals and exiles) alike... and when you come out you have the fabulous view of those wonderful three buildings.

Cheers

Chris

Hi Chris. I agree of course with your last statement but sorry to be pedantic over the actual location of the Museum. It is on a jut of land that projects it away from the port of liverpool building so the view of the 3 graces from the Albert dock is not obstructed. Now then, the view of the 3 graces from the Albert dock is obstructed by those awful black buildings. Most people i've spoken to do indeed agree the new museum has changed the look of the waterfront - but for the better. There's enough empty pavement elsewhere down there. It hold more exhibits than any local museum ever before and we should be lapping that fact up.

---------- Post added at 10:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:13 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by gregs dad View Post
    Had a funny experience today,took 2 of my grandchildren to town today, a boy of 7 and a girl of 13.
    Visited the Western Approaches museum which I have never been in before. Had to drag them out after
    two and a half hours they didn`t want to leave. Then proceeded to the new museum, after 20 minutes they said can we go now,?.
    The girl was a frequent visitor with me to the old liverpool life museum and the old 1940`s house as she grew up, she said she preferred them... to the new one .
    I said give me a mark out of 10 for both museums the answer, i/10 for the new one 9/10 for the Western Approaches.
    I must confess they are from Upholland
    After 2.5 hours in an earlier museum, they must have been getting quite bored with it all, it's a lot to ask of kids that age to be wanting to traipse around museums for hours on end - I used to at William Brown street but our eyes were on the out of town girls ha ha. I saw parents having to drag thier kids away from all the interactive push button / phone info stuff in the new museum last weekend. Try your trip the other way around next time Joe.

---------- Post added at 10:24 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:17 AM ----------

I continue to find it bemusing why some, if very few, of the good people of Liverpool should show such disdain towards a new museum which champions things such as our local soldiers (possibly including relatives of the detractors), champion sportsmen such as Conteh and Volante, record breaking No1 artists - with a similar display to the record attending 'the beat goes on'. Our cultural connections to other lands, so well put together in the global city gallery. A chance to see the overhead carriage and Ford Anglia again - even if the latter could have been better placed - it's better than nothing. The fact the Beatles are mentioned proves how little one knows about the exhibits as the Beatles have been almost especially hardly mentioned as they have their own dedicated museum at the Albert dock and they didn't want to dilute the exhibits already on show there.

I rather think they've made their stance so vociferously now that there's no going back on if nothing else, seeing it for what it is - a massive attraction which will help the local economy of their city. Pffft - Victor Meldrew is alive and well. I don't like Anfield but I can appreciate it needs to be there
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Liverpool Photographer Gerard Fleming's Avatar

Ged, I hope you dont mind me saying this..
    I've stayed away from debating with you mate because of the personal insults
    that come flying back at me..

But if you dont mind me saying.. on a thread about the Museum..
    I think its about time you realised that building is hated by the people of Liverpool..
    Ask yourself why Ged.. ?

That my opinion... and the opinion of the people of Liverpool..

You Ged, are the only person I've come across that likes that place..
    I'm not making that up.. thats a fact.

Can I say that.. without fear of any insults.. ?

Cheers..

Gerard.
    Liverpool Days... << my website of Liverpool images

You can indeed state your opinion but not as facts.

Liverpool Photographer Gerard Fleming's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ged View Post
    You can indeed state your opinion but not as facts.

Thank you Ged..
    Liverpool Days... << my website of Liverpool images

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgePorgie View Post
    Joe,Put a windup gramphone and a modern stereo system in front of a child and immediatly the interest will be around the gramaphone....what I'm trying to say is they know about the beatles,they know about LFC ect,ect and the new building doesn't capture the atmosphere of a museum.

Anyway whats your honest opinion on the display?

GP ,Considering the numbers who have already passed through the new museums doors ,
    could you please consider the following reasons for visiting a museum and tell me where you think The Museum of Liverpool fails to ..." capture the atmosphere of a museum".

The Explorer: motivated by personal curiosity.
    The Facilitator: motivated by/because of another person (such as a parent bringing a child to the museum).
    The Experience Seeker: motivated to see and experience places. (such as a tourist visiting a new city).
    The Professional Hobbyist: motivated by specific knowledge-related goals.
    The Recharger: motivated by contemplative/restorative experience.

I genuinely would like to know what you think is a museum atmosphere.

Quote Originally Posted by Spike View Post
    Went today. Its ok. It will be good when the first floor is done.

Too crowded for me, but I shoved my way into the WW1 section. Found my two great grandads listed on the roll of honour.

I will go back when the kids are back in school. some interesting things there I would like to look at in detail.

Have you been in the Court Housing? Did you press the button on the outside loo...HA HA HA HA.
    I like it.

I think the building is nice and fits in well as its not high in the sky. The pics I am seeing of it look very good. I will be glad when the first floor is up and running and the crowds have died down a bit ( Kids back in school ) It goes with the Canal and im a big fan of the canal.

BE NICE......................OR ELSE

I personally think 150,000+ bodies in 10 days was it speaks for itself. I've probably spoken to more than most simply because I've been shanghai'd by people who've recognised me there who've asked questions about the model. I always ask what do they think of the building, it's location, would they be back. I do look at it objectively, model there or not as it won't always be and apart from those on once in a lifetime tourist trips they have all said yes yes yes. I must be asking the wrong people

---------- Post added at 10:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:56 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Spike View Post
    I like it..
    That's about 150,001 then Spike if you're not one of the 150,000 that's seen it already then.

Keep that mouth pointing thissaway U.

I saw it last Sunday. Sue liked it as well. Sam did not care as he wanted Baby TV.

Loved the view from the big window looking over the Canal. Hoping they give the wars the section they deserve ( bigger area ) Noticed on the lifts they are down as being on the First floor. So hoping it all gets moved when this is finished.
    BE NICE......................OR ELSE

Ah that view. The one where I said everyone would be up there taking a pic and it seems they are if you look at Flickr and forums. All taking pics from a building they hate. A bit hypocritical that isn't it?

Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast