Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 LastLast

Thread: The Museum of Liverpool

Great pics Geddray ..well done

Thanks John Boy. I posted on the Everton library thread earlier. Dizzak has another explore for us - your phone was going to voicemail, catch you later.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Great pics Ged, good to see a Scouse photographer's shots of the event, rather than the standard corporate official photos. You had some real good vantage points there.

I had relatives staying at The Jurys Inn last night and it looked great down there. The Big Wheel lit up and the various Christmas trees made the whole area look great. It just a pity those black buildings by the Museum of Liverpool look so awful.

Thank BlueJeans, the Museum is proving to be a pull to even those who said they'd never darken its doorstep or take photos in there or from there.

It will change the perceptions of the few people that had a downer on it over time i'm sure as it's OUR Museum, the Museum of Liverpool and anybody worth their salt in claiming to love Liverpool would want to see it do well and push it, not slam it.

The area is great now isn't it like you say, but must agree on those black buildings, not quite so sure they'll grow on people.

the Museum is proving to be a pull to even those who said they'd never darken its doorstep or take photos in there or from there.
    Not this fella,Pedro...as I said in the past...give it time for the polish to wear off and it will become like the World Museum...I mean how many times would you go the flics and watch the same blockbuster movie.

Never if you were my companion.

Museums are museums, exhibits are long terms but eventually inter changable. Because Liverpool is a tourist attraction and a big student city there will always be a big imput of different people seeing these things for the first time.

Shame on anyone who wants their own City museum to fail just because of a titty lip and not wanting to admit its a huge attraction.

Usually families with younger ones tend to visit a lot more frequently. I know when my son was younger we were never away from the museums ! We used to take him a lot, then when he was old enough to go on his own he would always be down there with friends. We used to joke that he should get a job in the museum because he knew every nook & cranny and knew where all the exhibits where. A few times he said he gave tourists directions to exhibits in the maritime
    Now he is older, we do still visit from time to time, maybe once or twice a year instead of every other week like we used to when he was a kid.
    Hoping to do a few more visits soon.

That's the spirit Lindy, as custodians of the city, build and they will come as they did in the past. I know a lot more just like your lad Lindy who keep on making the visits. In fact on my visits there, I know i've bumped into the same Yoer twice and an old neighbour THREE times and he says he's been again and again so has been there when I haven't so think of the amount of strangers who do that. You'll never get to see it all in one visit anyway, not if you're really paying attention to everything there is on offer.

Hi Ged

Great photographs, Ged, of HM and Prince Philip and also of the Boer War exhibit. I missed that when I was at the museum in October.

Years ago (circa 1964) my maternal grandmother and I went to the Anglican Cathedral when Elizabeth, the Queen Mother was there. There was a tent outside of the cathedral itself and somehow we went through a flap and found ourselves directly in the path of the Queen Mother. An interesting encounter. As was her way, she just gave us one of her gracious smiles as she moved on. As an aside, the Queen Mother and my Nanna shared a birthday: August 4.

All the best

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist
    Editor, Loch Raven Review
    http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/
    Chris on Flickr and on MySpace

Quote Originally Posted by Ged View Post
    Museums are museums, exhibits are long terms but eventually inter changable.
    My biggest gripe is the Anglia up in the air
    As you say Ged museums are museums. Also the fact that it is free admission, I cannot see why anyone would want to criticise it! It isn't as if you have to pay to get in!
    It is Accomplished

Some would prefer just a couple of acres of flagstones i'm sure

Or it being opened by a couple of the cast of hollyoakes just because they live in Woolton.

Keeping It Real !!!!!!!!! ItsaZappathing's Avatar

My gripe with the New Museum is and always will be that it's such an ugly building.
    The other gripes are, like Mark, the Ford Anglia shoved up out the way.
    Also the wheelie bins on show - WTF? And the wide stairs.
    I must take another look and see how much it's improved since the first week of opening.
    Cracker pics Ged.

Cheers John.

What is the boat Ged? I think that is up in the air as well. I couldn't see a notice saying what it is...

---------- Post added at 11:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:19 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Ged View Post
    Or it being opened by a couple of the cast of hollyoakes just because they live in Woolton.
    To be fair I think they were turning the lights on somewhere else so we had to make do with HM Queen
    It is Accomplished

I think the new Museum is gaining in popularity all the time, and with it being only a short walk from the Albert Dock means it has a ready made customer base on tap. Maybe some additional High- Vis signeage directing visitors over the bridge towards it from the Peirmasters house area may be helpful.
    When I first saw the artists impression drawing for the building i was most definitely not impressed due to its modern shape situated close by to what is now termed The 3 Graces { not sure when that term came into being }.
    Since visiting the museum and the remodelled Pier Head area I have changed my original opinion and I think the design of old & new works well, after all its not sighted directly in front of the other buildings and is not blocking views in the way the Black Glass monstrosities are.
    A great advantage of the design of the building is the way it allows for those two Magnificent Glazed viewing areas, in my opinion they are already one of Liverpool's most valuable "must see "areas to visit,
    the views are truly spectacular.
    On the point of the Anglia being placed up in the air , well that was just plain daft putting it there.

collegepudding

Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 LastLast