Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: The Museum of Liverpool

Default The Museum of Liverpool

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

The long awaited opening of the new Museum of Liverpool is upon us with various local media article abound.

10 OBJECTS TO LOOK OUT FOR

by Catherine Jones, Liverpool Echo
    Jul 18 2011

THE new Museum of Liverpool houses many of important pieces of Liverpool history including the last Overhead Railway carriage, the first car to roll off the production line at Halewood, and

But there are also fascinating, quirky and downright weird objects on show in its galleries too. Here are just 10 (random) attractions to look out for:

A rowing boat from Sefton Park lake

ONE for the nostalgics. Look up high above your head in the People’s Republic gallery to see a green-hulled wooden rowing boat.

The skiff was built around 1930 in Chester and was used on the boating lake in Sefton Park.

Boating was popular on the lake until the 1970s when the boats were withdrawn for repair but never returned.

1920s chip range

THE small (by modern standards) but perfectly-formed range, decorated in Art Deco motifs and covered in blue tiles with a tiled wall behind, came from Openshaw's chippy in Rice Lane, Walton where it fried generations of customers’ chips from 1925 to the early 1980s.

Coal fires on either side of the range would have heated up its big steel vats.

It was acquired by National Museums Liverpool in 1981-82 and previously stood in the Museum of Liverpool Life. It has recently been restored.

Adrian Henri’s gold pants

ONE of the stranger exhibits in the new museum, a large pair of gold lame pants worn by the late poet and painter Adrian Henri during his ‘happenings’.

The flamboyant, superhero-style underwear is on show in the Time and Place display on poets in the Wondrous Place gallery.

Shankly’s raincoat

IT was a Shankly trademark, so it’s only fair one of the Scottish footballing legend’s raincoats should find its way into the sporting section of the Wondrous Place gallery.

The coat, which Shanks often wore to Liverpool games, is on loan to the museum.

Model of Gerard Gardens

LONG gone now, Gerard Gardens was a development of (luxurious at the time) tenement blocks built to replace overcrowded slum and court property behind William Brown Street.

It was demolished in 1987 to make way for road improvements around the Wallasey tunnel.

This model, made from paper, card, plastic and metal, was created by former resident Ged Fagan and is situated in the People’s Republic gallery.

Lita Roza’s dress

OH the glamour! A chartreuse evening dress with pear and sequin decoration, which was designed by Douglas Darnell who also made gowns for Dorothy Squires and Shirley Bassey.

Lita Roza (1926-2008) was the first British female artist to ever have a UK number one hit, in 1953 with How Much is that Doggie in the Window?

The dress, with a separate train, on show in the Wondrous Place gallery dates from 1958 and was presented to NML by Lita Roza herself in 2007.

Professor Codman’s puppet show theatre

RICHARD Codman first set up a Punch and Judy show in Liverpool in the 1860s, originally in Lime Street and later in Williamson Square.

The puppet show theatre is now in the Wondrous Place gallery.

Fleming’s jeans

WILLIAM Henry Fleming was a Liverpool based importer of cigars and tobacco when he saw potential in the hardwearing denim trousers worn by visiting American sailors.

In 1881 he started Fleming's Ltd, selling tailored denim clothing which would be a staple for Liverpool people for over 100 years.

In the 1960s and 1970s, Fleming's jeans were an essential item in any fashionable Liverpool wardrobe.

The jeans on display are one of two pairs in the museum’s collection, received after a public appeal for people to donate their jeans which led to an avalanche of pairs.

Bayko model of the Empire State Building

MECCANO may be more famous, but Liverpool entrepreneurship was also responsible for a toy building material called Bayko.

The name derived from Bakelite, one of the world’s first commercial plastics.

Bayko was invented by Charles Plimpton, an early plastics engineer and entrepreneur in Liverpool, and became a worldwide brand between 1934 and 1967.

The model of the Empire State Building, which features in the Global City gallery, was made at Liverpool’s Plimpton Engineering factory.

Production of Bayko was taken over by Meccano in 1959.

Scouse Barbies

LOCAL people were invited to create an outfit in miniature on a fashion doll to illustrate a ‘Liverpool Look’, with fashion designer Kirsty Doyle commissioned to run open-access design workshops at World Museum to help people create an entry.

Thirty one of the dolls are on show as part of a display exploring personal identity and the image of the city.

Read More http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liver...#ixzz1SXzcexZH

---------- Post added at 12:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:05 PM ----------

Some photos of the interior and exhibits taking shape

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/multi...0252-28013459/

www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Good one,Ged....saves me a trip down there and be dissapointed at its showing of useless tat for a museum.

Erm! how much did the Museum cost now??

---------- Post added at 12:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:15 PM ----------

Going by the pics on the housing....they certainly don't know how to get a distressed look of the houses back then,looks like a amatuer prop from a westend stage play

George, theres plenty more than the list above, get down there yer miserable auld....
    Started the Old Swan Website:

http://oldswan.piczo.com/?cr=5

Details of phase two:

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liver...0252-29071295/

---------- Post added at 01:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:56 PM ----------

From FACT in 2005 to the World Museum at William Brown Street, The Echo office atrium, The St. Georges Hall and now the new Museum - it doesn't seem like a 6 year journey.

How does those lyrics go now.....

If you want a museum we've got one to spare.
    In my Liverpool home.

Blog Entries

I caught a rerun of 'Flog It' recently from Liverpool. The usual break-off to view points of interest visited the museum just before it was finished. Pride of place was taken by an old railway locomotive used in the film The Titchfield Thunderbolt, it began life as the first train on the Manchester to Liverpool line. There will be much of interest to see, I'm sure....once you get passed that 'triangle-town' model, that is.

[good on you Ged]

Posted my museum pics on another thread never saw this thread,sorry
    THE BEST VITAMIN FOR MAKING FRIENDS ? B.1

My Flickr site: www.flickr.com/photos/exacta2a/

http://flickrhivemind.net/User/exacta2a

Liverpool Photographer Gerard Fleming's Avatar

I'll be paying a flying visit..
    to see if they are using things belonging to a friend they shouldn't be..

Outsiders were being brought in and paid a fee to do a feature in this museum.
    2 companies.. both were being paid a fee...
    My friend from the Cavern Days.. a Liverpool 60's legend in his own right..
    was asked to contribute all his work about Liverpool in the 60's.. FOR FREE..
    and these outsiders.. one, a firm from hundreds of miles away..
    nothing to do with Liverpool...were getting paid to use my friends important
    Liverpool memorabilia.. and my friend got f*** all.

And these people.. who know nothing about the subject..
    would be doing the commentary..on my friends work.
    the man who was in the middle of it all was snubbed to allow no marks
    to talk about his work.. what an insult..

Yeahhhhh.. sounds about right this new museum to me..
    ran by a gang of Yuppies who know f*** all about Liverpool..
    and have no respect for real work of historical Liverpool importance..
    Or.. the people behind it..

I hope they see this...
    (No doubt word will get back to them...
    get in touch via PM... send me a phone number..
    I'd love to hear 1st hand why outsiders were being brought in for a fee
    while Liverpool Legends are being taken for a mug..)

Liverpool Days... << my website of Liverpool images

Quote Originally Posted by Oudeis View Post
    I caught a rerun of 'Flog It' recently from Liverpool. The usual break-off to view points of interest visited the museum just before it was finished. Pride of place was taken by an old railway locomotive used in the film The Titchfield Thunderbolt, it began life as the first train on the Manchester to Liverpool line. There will be much of interest to see, I'm sure....once you get passed that 'triangle-town' model, that is.

[good on you Ged]

Yes, that was the Lion locomotive which I have photos of from the large objects museum and was once in the basement transport museum in William Brown Street.

I can't wait to go next week. It's obviously on a bigger scale than the Liverpool Life Museum, which was brilliant.

Hello Ged!

On the radio this morning, Ken Pye refered to your model as the Bull Ring!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ged View Post
    Details of phase two:

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liver...0252-29071295/

---------- Post added at 01:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:56 PM ----------

From FACT in 2005 to the World Museum at William Brown Street, The Echo office atrium, The St. Georges Hall and now the new Museum - it doesn't seem like a 6 year journey.

Ha ha - good old Ken. One of the Liverpool Historians we are to look up to. Nice book and dvd by him though,

Well what a fantastic night it was tonight. Mingling with the stars in a champagne reception including Yoko Ono, John Conteh, Ken Dodd and Alexi Sayle. Over 12,000 people passed its threshold today on the opening of the largest National Museum built anywhere in the UK in the last century.

The official invitation

Film Maker, Author and Musician Paul Sudbury pulls a couple of birds.

Mike McCartney enters the fray. We got a photo with him at the very end as we had a heart to let him look around first.

You can't help feeling that the atrium and massive spiral staircase might be taking up much needed exhibit room but there is plenty to see in the galleries that are currently open.

John Conteh, World Light heavyweight champion from 1974-78. I told him I remembered him being on the open air bus with the Liverpool team that passed under the Byrom Street walkway in 1974 when he was the new champion. He said he remembered me too (I made that last bit up)

Ex Lord Mayor Steve Rotherham and former Echo and now Mirror sports writer Brian Reade - two good eggs (even if they are reds)

Paul with fellow ex Gerard Crescent resident and Liverpool Historian Franny Carlyle and Billy Butler of Radio Merseyside.

Yoko Ono gives a T.V. interview in the Wonderous Place gallery featuring Beatles memorabilia.

The view looking north from one the massive picture windows.

And the view south.

I didn't quite manage them all.

The Lord and Lady Mayor peruse my model.

The model's proud dad. Behind me is a massive blown up photo that fantastic 70s Liverpool photographer Ken Roberts took from the newly opened St. Johns Tower in 1971 depicting just how close Gerard Gardens was to the rear of William Brown Street.

Paul with Peter Leeson, maker of the film 'Us and them' and author of the book 'Goodbye Scottie Road' who travelled up with his wife from Leicester and it was nice to see him again. Standing guard over them are the original 'Builder' and 'Architect' statues that adorned the walls of Gerard Gardens. Made of portland stone, they were sculptured by famed liverpool craftsman Herbert Tyson Smith from his studio at the rear of Bluecoat Chambers.

Hey up cheeky. This trio have been around a bit. Starting life in the Garden festival they were also in the Museum of Liverpool Life before transfering to here after storage - and not looking a day older.

Some football regalia

The story of the blues.

And talking of the story of the blues - a tenuous link if ever there was one. Meet the two Pete's - Wylie from the mighty Wah and Hooton from the Farm.

Phil Redmond and the Echo's Peter Grant. Peter exclaimed they both share the same barber. I said nothing

Other writers milling around included David Charters, Ken Rogers and opening presenter Roger Phillips. Also there was ex Bill and now Coronation Street actor Andrew Lancel.

Colin Wilkinson - author of many Liverpool history books, his most recent being the current local best seller 'Streets of Liverpool'.

A brilliant string quartet behind the 3 Graces.

A pic of J.C. (No, not that one) with his friend Mr A.S.

The not quite red carpet but slightly more pink which suited me

I mentioned to Ken that Tarby got the knock back from the opening, he said 'Did he' and I said 'No, Doddy'.

And by the way, no, he can't say Ken Dodd's dad's dog's dead either.

Paul has some other pics on his camera too which i'm waiting on.

And so, turfed out over 3 hours later at 10 with still so much not even seen so it's back down there at the weekend.

It's very blue down there - they must have known I was coming.

And not forgetting our 100 year old Royal Liver Building who was celebrating her birthday today.

Can't waiting to go and see this. Nice to have the building finally open.

Blog Entries

Hi Ged,
    NOTHING would draw me to that monstrous new joke of a building. Restoring the festival site figures is maybe a premonition-or omen. Looks like Madame Tussades in Blackpool on a rainy day. See Gerard Fleming and GeorgePorge's posts in the thread, look at the council books at the end of the year, " corporate entertainment & expenses". Could go on but I know we differ on many points, so I'll leave on a positive one, I did enjoy your model of Gerard Gardens.
    Cheers,
    Chas
    Last edited by chasevans; 07-22-2011 at 03:53 PM. Reason: added premonition-or

Great pics Ged looks like you enjoyed it all, and I look forward to seeing the museum when it's all up a running....

don't know why but I always feel a bit nauseous when I see some of the 'celebs'.

Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast