Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Train stations demolished /not in use

kat2

Post Train stations demolished /not in use

please scroll down to the bottom of this website page, it contains photographs of train stations around the UK from bygone days
    can anyone remember any of them, interestingly I found the links to little tell tail signs such as reminants of walls, posts and a then and now photograph showing where the stations once stood.
    I never knew Central Station was so big!
    anyway heres the link enjoy looking back in history and lets see if anyone can spot any Markers (reminants)
    http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/
    kat

Blog Entries

nice to have u back Kat.

One station that has always facinated me is the one between Aigburth and St. Michaels. Otterspool I think it was called.
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

kat2

Nice to be back, I lost posting function for some reason, anyway, yes, I think there is a mention of the station you talk about in your post, I couldnt beleive the size of central station, or even the woodside station over here on the wirral with regular train services to london from the wirral!
    look how clean and litter free some of the old black and white photographs are
    no rubbish bins either!
    kat
    there is a photograph of that station taken in 1910, copy right John Alsop
    look for liverpool then central station upper then scroll down and look for the links on the page to Otterspool.
    Last edited by kat2; 08-07-2007 at 10:56 PM.

Cadfael

Quote Originally Posted by Kev View Post
    nice to have u back Kat.

One station that has always facinated me is the one between Aigburth and St. Michaels. Otterspool I think it was called.

You ever seen the station house for that Kev? You could get to it at one point via Otterspool Park - maybe still can?

We used to use Exchange Station all the time till they closed it, as we were in Maghull at the time.

I currently live round the corner from it and overlook the car park now built on the old site.

Looking at those pics on that site, shows how as a kid you don't always remember things as the buildings on the right of Moorfields looking up to station don't register at all.

Quote Originally Posted by kat2 View Post
    please scroll down to the bottom of this website page, it contains photographs of train stations around the UK from bygone days
    can anyone remember any of them, interestingly I found the links to little tell tail signs such as reminants of walls, posts and a then and now photograph showing where the stations once stood.
    I never knew Central Station was so big!
    anyway heres the link enjoy looking back in history and lets see if anyone can spot any Markers (reminants)
    http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/
    kat
    Very interesting, Kat! Many thanks!

I just bought an old poscard of Central Station which makes me especially interested in the old and present views. So thanks again.

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist
    Editor, Loch Raven Review
    http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/
    Chris on Flickr and on MySpace

That site is brilliant and a minefield of information. In 1923 you could travel from Liverpool to Manchester in just 40 minutes, faster than now.

Quote Originally Posted by Cadfael View Post
    You ever seen the station house for that Kev? You could get to it at one point via Otterspool Park - maybe still can?
    Otterspool Road (aka Love Lane locally until it was gated and the loving stopped) still leads to the station house from Jericho Lane. The station house is occupied by someone in the black cab business. The platforms are all but gone. It was never well used. There used to be a goods siding between Otterspool and Mersey Road (now Aigburth). This, too, has disappeared

I remember Riverside Station when it was derelict, you could walk inside and still se the old platforms and signal posts. Wavertree Station on Gainsborough Road also still has remnants left as does Sefton Park Station.

Quote Originally Posted by Jericho View Post
    Otterspool Road (aka Love Lane locally until it was gated and the loving stopped) still leads to the station house from Jericho Lane. The station house is occupied by someone in the black cab business. The platforms are all but gone. It was never well used. There used to be a goods siding between Otterspool and Mersey Road (now Aigburth). This, too, has disappeared
    There was a 'photo of it on the forum a few months ago, with taxis outside. I can't find it and I forget which thread it was in.
    You can always count on Americans to do the right thing - after they've tried everything else.
    Winston Churchill

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by shytalk View Post
    There was a 'photo of it on the forum a few months ago, with taxis outside. I can't find it and I forget which thread it was in.
    Thre is also a Station that is dissued on the Chester Line just before Bache called Upton By Chester for which at least one of the platforms are still there.

Cadfael

I always love cycling up and down the Loop Line and seeing where parts of the track or parts of the station platform wall's are still there. Probably the best 'preseved' part is the station at West Derby as they still have the original platforms in place.

Quote Originally Posted by Cadfael View Post
    I always love cycling up and down the Loop Line and seeing where parts of the track or parts of the station platform wall's are still there. Probably the best 'preseved' part is the station at West Derby as they still have the original platforms in place.

I used to like cycling along that cycle path to but i was put off by the ammount of glass and punchers i had when cycling along there.

But do admit i also like seeing were stations used to be and i especially like ringing my bell as i enter the tunnles and exit them just like the train do. (A bit childish but its fun).

The bike bell I take it
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Yes the Bike bell as it would be difficult to ring any other type of bell when riding a bike wouldent it.!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast